Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Hello irv2, I'm Rob and I'm new here

Greeting everyone, the wife and I decided that this year we are going out on the road RVing. So we have started our homework, started visiting dealers and joined this great forum.

Since we both work (we still have 15 years till retirement) we figured we would start out slowly and get away every weekend to see what the RV life is like and if it is for us.

Now all we have to do is find our first RV. We have decided on a class A motor home (gas) and we have set a budget ($ 50,000.00).

Now part of the fun is selecting our first ride. I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid of doing some upgrading and updating but we're not looking for a big job fixer upper. This will be our first and I don't think it will be our last motor home.

From the limited research we have done, we have decided to start out with a coach without any slide outs. Since we will be driving somewhere every weekend, we figure we will be on the road more than we will be setting up and parking and a coach without slides is a good start.

Two of the rules that I live by are:

Lessons are not free
And
Before I make a decision about something I know little about, I ask someone who knows more than me about it.

So, I'm wondering if there is someone here who started out like we are who could give us an idea what would be a good coach for a first time buyer like us.

I would love to hear from other forum members to see what they chose as their first coach and if they had any recommendations for us.

Thanks for reading this somewhat long first post and I look forward to reading and learning from the knowledgeable members here. (Well, after I watch the end of the Super Bowl that I just DVRed)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your research.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to RVing and the forum.

I suggest you visit as many dealers as you can and look at new and used coaches. For the price you will likely end up with a newer used.

The most important part in my opinion is floor plan.

The idea is to ditch the salesman and go sit in as many as you can. No matter where or when you go there will be days you are forced inside due to inclement weather.

Pretend you are cooped up for an extended period in the coach. Is there room and layout to spend an extended time indoors? Is there adequate space for food prep, laying out hobbies and room to relax? How will it work if one wants to watch the TV and the other wants to rest?

Not all of the problems will be solved but I think you get the drift?

Buy a mid to upper level model. They generally have slightly better appliances and use real wood. The particle board will last well but not as long as wood.

Good luck with your research and decision.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Welcome to RVing and the forum.

I suggest you visit as many dealers as you can and look at new and used coaches. For the price you will likely end up with a newer used.

The most important part in my opinion is floor plan.

The idea is to ditch the salesman and go sit in as many as you can. No matter where or when you go there will be days you are forced inside due to inclement weather.

Pretend you are cooped up for an extended period in the coach. Is there room and layout to spend an extended time indoors? Is there adequate space for food prep, laying out hobbies and room to relax? How will it work if one wants to watch the TV and the other wants to rest?

Not all of the problems will be solved but I think you get the drift?

Buy a mid to upper level model. They generally have slightly better appliances and use real wood. The particle board will last well but not as long as wood.

Good luck with your research and decision.
X-2, what Gordon said!
Rob, One thing I can add is, very important, I do not know if you are a tall guy or not, but I am, and the first thing I would do, when going inside a new coach, is head to the bathroom, step in the shower, see if it will work, head room wise! Then next, sit down on the toilet, Make sure you fit, with the door closed, or the cabinets, so you have the leg room! Also the drivers area, make sure it adjust's to your liking! I know you said you were going w/out slides, but you will find many have them, and limit the drivers leg room! Also, if it has them, run them in, and make sure you can move around ok. Enjoy the search, and look them over very good for water intrusion, look in all the overhead cabinets for staining. And around all the vents and A/C units carefully! Have fun, Rail!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rrzasa,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider going to this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/newb...vs-201159.html
There should be helpful information there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Welcome aboard Rob. We approached RVing in a similar manner (only with a lower budget ) 2 years ago we bought an older 28' gasser to make sure we could do what needed to be done. I do most of the work on the rig myself, and I find that unless you have a lot of money and not much time, that is the best way to approach it.

Almost immediately, we started making the list of must haves on the second bus. At the end of the second season with the gasser, we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted. We weren't planning to buy, but the exact model we wanted happened to come on the market locally so we pulled the trigger.

We found both our coaches on Craigs List locally. Be careful of scammers - if they want to do business strictly over PayPal and never meet in person, they are probably scamming you. Another reason to do business locally.

Keep things as simple as you can for the starter bus. No slides is a good idea. We had them on our must have list, but found a layout that has plenty of room without them.

Good luck. My starter bus is for sale here

1995 Good Starter Bus - 28' Monterey By Cobra - RV & Motorhome Classifieds

PM me if you're interested or if you have any questions.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #7

Rob we are glad yall joined us. My first was a 5ther duchman sport 27ft. /w 1 slide out. well before that was a popup. a 5ther or class A or C is the way to go IMHO
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rob! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your use! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome, you'll find a wealth of knowledge on this site.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for all the posts so far. It's nice to see all the help and guidance that folks here are willing to give.

Looked over a couple of nice ones this past weekend. Looked at an '04 Fleetwood Pace Arrow and an '03 National Dolphin XL. Both had low miles, nice layouts and seemed to be in good shape. The Arrow was really nice but about 10% over our budget. There was something about the Dolphin - it's 40 here and they had every vent open and the door open. There seems to be a musty smell like there was a leak, so we looked around it a bit and then went on our way. I seem to be looking a little closer at each unit as we com upon them.

A few of you mentioned the layout as an important factor in choosing a MH, well my wife loved one layout in particular - a '97 Thor Residency. She liked the door in the middle allowing you to go left or right, the leather sectional sofa pointing forward and a few other things. I think she wanted to buy it on the spot. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and we kept on looking. Even last night at dinner, she commented on the Thor.

Anyone have any experience with a Thor Regency? I may need to have either ammunition to deter her or I may have to take a closer look at it.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post
The Arrow was really nice but about 10% over our budget.
So, offer them 10% below what they're asking. All that can happen is the dealer says no.

Quote:
There was something about the Dolphin - it's 40 here and they had every vent open and the door open. There seems to be a musty smell like there was a leak, so we looked around it a bit and then went on our way.
Big red flag, but it also be just smokers.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Your doing all the right things.....asking questions and getting out there and looking at rigs.....I would also include an inspection of the rig before your buy it by a licenced RV tech....Check out the tires, anything older than 5 years is not a good thing and should affect the price in your negotiations. Take your time before figuring out what rig is best for you and your DW. Always be prepared to walk away from a sale.....don't be ruled by your heart......its your hard earned money on the table.....Good luck...
Old 02-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #14

I would consider getting one with slides. They make all the difference in the world as far as comfort and room. If you really want your wife to enjoy it and want another one or to go full time at some point, you want to get something you will be comfortable in. Putting out slides adds less than 5 minutes to the set up/button up of the MH. For the money you are spending you can easily get one with a slide(s). Also don't expect to pay whatever they are asking at either a dealership or on a private seller. Like said before go at least 10%-15% less than their asking price and negotiate from there. Good luck, looking for one is half the fun.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote