Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Help! Anyone Import an RV into Canada Recently?

Hi, I hope it is ok to post here. We live in Ontario and are considering buying an 2011 Tiffin A. Bus from the USA. One of the local dealers here said there would be a NAFTA tax of 6.5% on top of the regular HST we would have to pay. I had never heard of that (and was wondering if they were just trying to scare us away from buying in the US so we would be something from them . . . buy we want a Tiffin). Anyway I tried looking at Registrar of Imported Vehicles but that was one link after another and another and several hours later I still am not sure what to do.
We really want that rig . . . so would love help or guidance towards someone who takes care of paperwork etc for a fee.

Thanks in advance (and sorry if this isn't the best forum to ask this).

Susan & John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #2

The dealer is providing you bad information. Follow the directions on the web site you noted and all is smooth.

Your vehicle must be on the approved list and HST is paid.

What on earth is a NAFTA tax?

If any product is made in the US, or Canada, there is no Import tax either way. This is what the agreement is all about.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The dealer said that the NAFTA only applied to new RVs but that used RVs coming into Canada from the US will have to pay this 6.5% tax. Again that is why I am checking and double checking.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #4

Stay clear of that dealer. The RIV web site spells it all out.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
You want to make Importation easy? Get a Customs Broker to handle it. Seamless! They will answer all your questions. Paperwork all correct and waiting for you at the Border. I've used one twice and will continue. For a few hundred bucks, it's worth it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Where would you find such a broker? Will any import broker do or are there those that specialize in RV imports?

Thanks for the input everyone, I am new to this forum, have just been reading and reading since I joined and I told my husband tonight I am blown away by a)how much good information is here and b) how helpful everyone is!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickerdogs View Post
Where would you find such a broker? Will any import broker do or are there those that specialize in RV imports?

Thanks for the input everyone, I am new to this forum, have just been reading and reading since I joined and I told my husband tonight I am blown away by a)how much good information is here and b) how helpful everyone is!
I did a search based on your profile info. Here is what came up for a Customs Broker in your area.

Here is a link to their website. http://www.cole.ca/

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3793136601.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	42404
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #8

Livingston, who is under contract to run RIV is a broker.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks so much both of you.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My parents purchased a new motorhome from Lazy Days in Florida. To avoid Florida state tax the dealer delivered the RV to Georgia. They took care of all the paperwork for importation to Ontario and sent it to the broker. It was an easy process. Parents paid the HST, took the coach to Canadian tire to have day time headlights installed and thats it. If the dealer is not willing to take care of the paperwork and send it to the broker then find one that will. Never heard of this nafta tax.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #11

Hi
Usually you must sent the "Titles" to the US borders 3 days before you cross them.
You should not pay local US taxes but you will pay all Ontario taxes like for a new car.
After the coach , before you obtain the license plate, will have to follow a local inspection to check for any physical problem.
Last but not least, I do believe that you need to pass a driving test for a unit with pneumatic brakes if you dont have it already. Taxes based on your Invoice
Good luck
Norm
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickerdogs View Post
Thanks so much both of you.
Glad to help.

Once in Canada, prior to the safety check (I got mine done at Canadian Tire as well) you will want to make an appointment with a qualified chassis repair shop to get Day Time Running Lights module installed. You won't pass your safety inspection without this being done.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Well after all that research, speaking a broker and directly to Canada Customs, it looks like the dealer was either wrong or trying to get more money out of us. We ended up buying a 2013 rig here in Canada. Maybe next time I will take advantage of all my new found knowledge and we will get one in the US. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I'm happy we were able to help. Joining this group was a Godsend for me when I first got into RVing. The wealth of knowledge and experience from its members is invaluable to anyone from the novice through to the seasoned RVer.