Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #15

>"go to harbor freight and get a small grinder with a cutoff wheel. Most likely the cheapest way to go."

Yup. Cheap 4-1/2" angle grinder. $14 at HF. Put 'em periodically on sale for $9.
Good basic tool. You don't know when you need to cut something off... or clean up rusty metal, or sharpen a mower blade... or...

Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Success!!! THanks to your sage advice, a good dousing of PB Blaster and about 1,500 curse words the lock gave in and it allowed me to win. Once I got the lock removed it had another rally trying to defeat me. This was one of those locks designed for both diameter hitch pins using a metal tube to create the larger diameter. Of course, the lock slipped out and left the tube behind. It took more PB Blaster and vice grips to get that out. Both are now at the bottom of the recycling cart, hopefully destined to become something more useful.

Before you guys mentioned it I had no idea what PB Blaster was. My first thought was some peanut butter concoction from Dairy Queen. I can now sing it's true praises, loud and clear. That stuff works miracles! I won't go anywhere without it, now.

Ok, one last question -- should I just use a standard hitch pin, or is there something more secure. I bought that #%€*^ lock out of fear that the clip would get knocked out of the pin and the tow bar and car would become a missle. Back in the 70s a friend's parents were killed when a boat came loose, crossed the median and hit their car head on.

My thanks to each of you for your help!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Success!!! THanks to your sage advice, a good dousing of PB Blaster and about 1,500 curse words the lock gave in and it allowed me to win. Once I got the lock removed it had another rally trying to defeat me. This was one of those locks designed for both diameter hitch pins using a metal tube to create the larger diameter. Of course, the lock slipped out and left the tube behind. It took more PB Blaster and vice grips to get that out. Both are now at the bottom of the recycling cart, hopefully destined to become something more useful.

Before you guys mentioned it I had no idea what PB Blaster was. My first thought was some peanut butter concoction from Dairy Queen. I can now sing it's true praises, loud and clear. That stuff works miracles! I won't go anywhere without it, now.

Ok, one last question -- should I just use a standard hitch pin, or is there something more secure. I bought that #%€*^ lock out of fear that the clip would get knocked out of the pin and the tow bar and car would become a missle. Back in the 70s a friend's parents were killed when a boat came loose, crossed the median and hit their car head on.

My thanks to each of you for your help!
When desperate just used ATF, it works pretty well.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #18

Your root cause is probably dust and moisture getting into the lock mechanism. Whatever lock you choose will crude up over time. That is why the PB blaster did the trick.

I would consider drilling out the hole in a standard pin to put in a small padlock. Easier to cut and looser tolerances so less likely to jam up. If I was leaving the pin in place for very long it might be a really good place for some electrical tape over the keyhole. Probably a strip over the end and up the sides then another strip wound around to keep the ends in place. Utility knife in the tool kit to get the tape off. Keeps the crud out of the lock mechanism.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have drilled out the pin hole to 9/64 inch and used a good padlock. Easy to use and if the lock gets dry, just give it a little grease.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #20

If you want to use a locking pin, get one that comes with a cover over the lock, or tape it as mentioned. However, have not read or heard of a tow bar being stolen...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar experience with locking hitch pin. My case was I lost track of the key. Could not pound or cut the lock off primarily due to the limited access. A super concentrated and lengthy search finally found the key.

I reinstalled with non-locking pins so as not to be in such situation again. I have de-rattlers so a thief would have to cut them or have tools to remove, slowing them down a bit. Plus I think unlikely to be stolen anyway.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #22

Simple is sometimes the best way to go. Get one of these>>> https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...ords=hitch+pin

You should have no problems finding one locally.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
i cut one off once with just a hand held grinder.. cut through it like butter.. it was off in about 45 seconds.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
i cut one off once with just a hand held grinder.. cut through it like butter.. it was off in about 45 seconds.
If you have clear access, agree. When similar occured to me I had access limitations as did the OP.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Simple is sometimes the best way to go. Get one of these>>> https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...ords=hitch+pin

You should have no problems finding one locally.
I have used these pins on trailers of all types for years... They work perfectly just not much on security...
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #26

Having seen a trailer lose it's tow there is know way I would not use a locking device. Not only do I use a lock at the trailer end I use two locking devices to secure the car to the tow bar. The added security is well worth the trouble. With out a lock to easy for someone to play with it.
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #27

I too want the security of a locking pin. Not that i think someone will steal the trailer but that i don't want some sick goofball pulling the pin when i wasn't looking.

Like someone suggested above, i ended up using a small padlock on one of my pins. I did have to drill out the clip hole to make it fit. It's small enough that i could break it lose if it developed a problem but at the same time, wouldn't allow someone to just walk by and easily remove it. For the same reason as above, i also lock the hitch lever when we're on the road.

I think most any lock should work fine but like many other things on the RV, it needs to be exercised and maintained to keep functioning correctly.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My concern is not theft, but it coming loose and killing someone and or totaling the toad. I found 2 that I'm considering, but we are parked now until mid October so I have plenty of time to decide.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E4LIBJC...d=UHC7EQPCUYNS

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-1...3JE281XD200NA7
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote