Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
For what it worth, We've been fulltimimg in a class C for over three years with no problems. I weigh it every year and we are not over loaded. We do have everything we need. We have I a rule that we use to be sure are not over loaded: "something new comes in...something old goes out." Works for us.

Want to know what we're up to? Check out our website at My Trip Journal http://mytripjournal.com/11246
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Hi Lee
My wife and I had the same Dilema we did buy a Class A after trading our Class C the biggest thing I found getting used to is sitting high and getting used to a different feel. But a lot of advantages as some other people have already suggested especially if going full time you will need more storage and the A will do that you also get I think a feeling of more intirior room as the floor area thruogh the cab is on the same level. I also think that the hook up area black and grey water is better situated as it is higher and easier to get to we really like our class A.
Good Luck

onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #17

Good points from all, I enjoy these comparison threads when loads of expeireinces are compiled in one spot.

Being a simple guy, I broke down the decision process into two broad areas and then set my requirements:

1. Drivability:
- turbo-charged diesel
- compression braking system
- air brakes
- air ride seats
- appropriate GVW for HP/torque
- engine bay access fo fuel filters, crankcase oil filters, oil and lube points

2. "Livability"
- min 2 slides
- queen sized rack that didn't need to be moved to get to the head while on the road
- dinette
- two A/Cs, one with heat pump.
- plenty of vents in the overhead
- back flush on BW tank
- GW & BW capacities (for boondocking)
-decent amenities; flat screens, seating, interior appearance
- 50 amp, good size capacity Onan, and inverter/converter

3. And finally: Price

There was some give and take; surprizingly, the little lady had absolutely NO INTEREST in a Jake Brake but I sure did. She wanted an outside shower for the dogs and room for the "dachshund gear".

We are not Full Timers and probably won't be for some time (I'm not sure what retirement is, or will be for now...). Interestingly, we have full time friends (who Full Time) who, after retiring from the Navy went to a 5th wheel then to a humungous (is that a word?) Class A DP that he winches aboard a Harley and tows a Chev Trailblazer...and they want to "downsize".

So we ended up with a "Super C" - which I guess is not an official classification, but seems to be the common designation for the Freightliner, NAVISTAR (IH) and Vovlo straight truck chassis fitted out as an RV.

So far, our 32' is not too big and not too small for us, can get 11.7 mpg (2000 RPM) and we can snake around most areas of the NP system sites.

We started tent camping, had a 24' Mallard TT, a pop-up but never really thought we jump-in to the RV world...but did and have enjoyed the nomadic RV people we've met at least as much as anything else.

Take care, good luck
USN, Ret. - Dynamax DynaQuest 32XL
'71 BMW 2002, '99 BMW 528i, '90 Porsche C2
...and four Wire Hair Mini Dachshunds
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
We're not in the "buy new" class. We had a 26' Class C a couple of seasons and absolutely hated it. The things we said "never again" to were the corner bed, the pedestal tables, and a Ford 460 with a carburator. It was an '85 BS (before slides).

Our current rig has living room and bedroom slides, a Ford V-10 with electronic engine management and a four-speed auto trans with o/d. It gets 50% better gas mileage than the old clunker did and the amount of room an extra 6' of length and 6" of width gets you is amazing.

We did look at some 31' C's, but I was scared off by the amount of tail overhang. They were all on E-450 chassis. We also didn't like the small cargo bays. Neither of us are agile enough to use the overhead bed in a C. The east-west queen bed in the slide-out is great.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with most of what has been said here. For me, the biggest difference between the A and C is the view. My C's were small and I always felt like I was cramped. With the A when camped it feels like an amphitheater. More storage too. Best of luck in your search for the perfect ride........ronspradley
1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
So far everyone has made good vaild points there does seem to be on thing missing on many if not all of the opinions. Repairability. I personally have a class A, but after being stuck in an out-of-the-way place looking for parts, a Class C looks alittle more practical. Many of the parts that will fail and put you on the side of the road can be found at the local auto parts store. Now not everyone will do or can do their own work. Thats fine, but finding an alternator for a Ford V10 is alot easier in Nowhere USA than one for a Spartan pusher.
jreyn114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've had both, the bottom line is that bigger is better.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
Thor Owners Club
I have not have a Class C but have had a truck camper and a Class A. I can tell you, if you want to SEE the US of A you should get a Class A. What a view as you are going down the highway! You just don't get that with the small Class C or Truck Camper windshield. Plus what everyone else said... Enjoy what ever you get.
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #23
I am a little late to your party but I am new to this site. If you want to look at class C that has better outside storage compared to any other class C then look @ 2008 WINNEBAGO OUTLOOK. I have traveled in our CLASS A and now with our CLASS C the model I mentioned above this sleeps 8 and rides great and has lots of storage space outside. If your budget does not allow the $200,000 + for diesel CLASS A. Then get the best CLASS C and tow a small trailer and you can have it painted to match your MH. Then you will have all the extra storage space you will ever need.

If you have deep pockets then Class A is the way to go hands down. I own a midsize trucking company and you must have deep pockets to deal with MAINT. and REPAIRS on a DIESEL. In my business I have no choice but to use diesel trucks with our 80,000 GVW requirements however in a motorhome I would go with a gas engine for the following reasons.

Diesel fuel cost more per gallon, so extra MPG on a diesel is lost due to extra cost
OIL changes will be 5 times the cost of a Gas
Diesel fuel will GEL in cold weather unless treated .... more money
Diesel do not like to start in cold weather unless you plug in .....more money
Diesel repairs require much more money and unless you have the network of repair shops that we do, over 500 shops. Then you could be in for some difficult times when you do need repairs.

RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Chiming in a little late too, but you need to look at the kind of full timing you plan on doing. Will you drive from place to place a lot? Or, will you be stationary most of the time. If stationary, do you have a storage building available? Are you an outdoors person? Single?

I can see a number of these questions will affect your decision. But for ride, livability, towing and storage capacities, the class A can't be beat. However, be prepared to pay a higher price and maintenance costs.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #25
Lots of opinions. We started with a too small C. Moved up to a 30' A with two slides. Suits us well for now. Advice I got at first I ignored - don't go too small - you'll regret it.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #26
Have been trying (not real hard) to sell our A for a C because my wife won't drive our A, but did the C. It's like if it sells fine, but if not "no biggie". Also for the amount we use ours , mostly for vacation and travel, a Class B would also work.
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #27
I'll put in a late comment on A vs. C. First, the price is very similar for a 30' C and 30' class A. I just parked beside a new Winny Vista 30' that lists for $106K, which means out the door around $85-90K at the most. Used there is even less difference.
As to maintainability, most Ford dealers will service the running gear on our 32' Class A and the price will be similar.
From my perspective, a 32' A is about equivalent to a 36' C in floor space and the C will be harder, not easier to drive (assuming equal overhang at the rear). the other arguments have already been made. If you like a C, get one, but don't kid yourself that it offers any real advantages over a class A except sleeping bunches of people who'd better not have anything of their own because it won't fit!
Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have both and A and a C. The C is used for larger groups (4 or 5 adults) also like it in AK for those hard to get in places, it's 31". THe class A is for just the DW and I with our 2 dogs. The C sleeps 6 to 8. The A has one queen bed and 2 small jack knife sofas. The A is 40'. We feel at home in the A due to all the wide open space provide by 4 slides.

I will sell the C when it gets to the point that it's just DW and I traveling the lower 48.

It wasn't long after buying the C that I regretted not getting a Class A.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote