Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help.... Class A or Class C

Help me……I keep waffeling….Class A…..Class C ????
I have a Class C, 1993, 20 foot (no bed in back of course), Damond, RV which my wife and I traveled all over the East Coast for past 17 years.

We now want to go RVing full time AND I can’t make up my mind to buy a 30 foot Class A OR a 30 foot Class C.

When I sit in a Class A, I feel sort of disconnected from the home.
When I sit in a Class C, I feel AT home.

Of course I feel good in a Class C cause that is what I have been driving.
If I buy a Class C for full-timing, will I later regret my decision?
Does my problem ring any bells with you folks who have all the experience.

Thanks for any/all help or advise in advance.

WeakSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't have experience with a class C other than grandparents having one. We went from tent to trailer to Class A and wouldn't consider going to a C simply because of the space and feel of home. I love seeing above the crowd in our A. I always worried I was going to hit someone in the C felt like there were blind spots even with the mirrors. In the A, I can see everything, look out any of the windows and I know what's there. Now we don't have a slide out so not sure how visibility is with those.

Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
I don't know how much "stuff" you need but from my experiences and I have had TT's, Class A's, a fift wheel and a Class B+ similar to a C and now back to an A, I had the most storage in my 5th wheel but almost as much in my new Class A. My new Class A has enough room in the shower I can actuall turn around in it and pick up the soap when I drop it, Ny Class B+ had a small shower that I cursed every time I got in it (started using Campground showers when available) and the storage was really lacking. I guess you just have to evaluate your needs and desires and then make a decision. If I was going to go fulltiming I would have nothing less than a fifth wheel or Class A in the 36+ range. Good luck on that decision.
GWCowgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
weaksignal, I have a C and it is great for us as we use about once a month. I have had it about 15 months and I have learned that it is true what the old timers say, " If you think you need 30' get 36. I would never think of ful timing in a C. Storage, openess, weight factor, power all are not lending to full timing. I agree with Cowgirl. Every time I shower, I knock over shampoo or whatever. Also tank capacities are so superior in a A. The bunk over driver is a nice catdhall tho. You need to go with someone in an A and C and feel the difference. Good luck in whatever you do. Also as stated, the vision factor is big.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Over the last 32 years we have had just about everything and each time it fit our needs until we grew tired and move on to another. The bottom line is the best coach for anybody is the one that makes them happy. With that said if I were looking to go to a unit in the 30 foot category I would seriously consider the new Tiffin Breeze. Although it is a 28 footer it's their newest diesel pusher on a Power Glide chassis that appears roomy and loaded with class.

Good luck with your search.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had 2 class A's and one 31' class C. If you are going full time, the C will be very severly weight limited. A large class C, has a GVWR of 14,050# and not a lot of cargo capacity. The class A will have a lot more storage space and carrying capacity. Of course you could go to a Super C with the Duramax engine.

If I was going back to a motorhome, I'd definitely go to an A over a C.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
I do not full time but I would think the first and the largest consideration would be how much stuff can I carry with me (weight). Will the mh allow me to take the things I want and need. Then I would consider will I be doing much dry camping?? if so how much water do I need?? Then what temps willo I be in?? how many a/c units, heating?....man I can go on and on..think you get the point.
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Hi WeakSignal,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider a class A coach. All the reasons have already been stated. Gas/Diesel, length, new or used and brand is your choice. However, there is just too much going for a class A coach, for a full timer. Newmar has a very nice selection/variety of class A coaches. Go to Browse Our Class A Motorhomes | Newmar Corporation and take a look.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Here is another vote for class A. You mentioned having traveled all over the east, when you get out west having an onboard genset is a thing of beauty. Lots of places where you can boondock cheap. Some of which you won't want to leave. So the bigger holding tanks are another big plus there. I would also go with the 'add a couple of feet' comment.

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We went from a 31' class C to a 40 A. The C was fine for up to a month. It had a good size slide out, not too bad of a shower and for 2 of us the over cab bunk was a good place to hide stuff when parked. No so good on gas compared to the diesel at almost twice the GVW.

Storage will be the biggest difference. The C's basement compartments were not even tall enough to fit a regular size cooler. Holding tanks can not compare either. Black, gray or fresh water.

Keep in mind that is you go from a C to an A DP all of the expenses increase. Try a 26 qt oil change compared to 6.

Whatever you decide have fun and safe trips
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The thing that I think about regarding a Class C vs a Class A is this. A Class C is lighter weight overall. That means that the Class A will have a heavier frame and larger brakes. It will probably have a larger radiator too. It's gross vehicle weight is probably heavier as well. This means to me that the Class A will handle a fulltiming life better than a Class C will.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Go with the class A. More storage capacity and more carrying capacity.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
To chime in with Doug Sage's remark the Class C will be more substantial and if you choose diesel you will have air brakes which are very effective.

When traveling long distances having the engine noise in the rear makes for a much quieter cockpit area and allows normal conversations.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey All,

This is the best RV site I have ever found.

You guys/girls are just great!! Boy, was I wrong about Class C.

You all opened my eyes to the benefits/needs of a Class A (Pusher).

I discovered the needs for full-timing with regard to “quiet traveling”, “more storage capacity”, “easier living w more space” and “benefits of being able to pick up SOAP in the shower.” All points I simply didn’t think of AND I expected to wait a few weeks for any replies. Thanks!!!

Now I just gotta find a nice Pusher—but I got a year to do it.

Thanks again all.

WeakSignal is offline   Reply With Quote