Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
A few of the suggestions may not be founded in good science so immediate action would be multiple flushes with clean water followed by some expert advice.

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
thats terrible news man..sorry to hear that. theres lots of post on how to fix the problem. and even know it dont really matter now,why in the world did someone put anti-freeze in your freshwater tank to begin with? when i hear anti-freeze i can only think of one kind. idk..just curious.
and I'd use vinger to clean it out as well,repeatedly of course.
and if it did make it all the way to the hotwater heater, couldnt you just fill up the water tank and run the faucets and shower repeatedly to flush everything out? idk its just a question. eitherway id have the water tested before you drink it. and if you have any kind of watersoftner place or a place that installs or sells jugs of water, they will test your water for free. also places that are envoled with wells test water cheap too..I know this cuz i live in the country with well water and have had mulitple water test done. when they first came out, there was a dead bird in my well.. they cleared all the toxins out and safe to drink now. good luck buddy

LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No one has mentioned how toxic EG is to animals. It is poison to their system, as it is to humans. It will kill them. Thing about it is that they love it because it is so sweet tasting. The will lap up a puddle real quick.

Please, please drain appropriately. That is hazardous stuff.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for one manufacturer of EG. The concern is for the potential of any EG being absorbed by the plastic pipe, fittings and tank. Most of the potable water grade plastics are not too bad about absorbing "stuff". Contact the manufacturer of the pipe and tank about the properties. Also talk to the EG manufacturer.

EG has a slightly oily residue and will need to be removed with a "soap" and then rinsed and rinsed.

Some of the MSDS's show the product is biodegradable...first I have heard of this, but you need to check.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
I may be mistaken but didn't big brother do away with EG a few years ago and now antifreeze is non toxic? My dad was a cattle farmer and used to use antifreeze and chicken quarters to control the coyote population at calving time. He was pissed when it all of the sudden quit working and the coyotes just started showing up for a free chicken dinner. I still wouldn't want to drink the stuff even if it is non toxic.
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post

I could blame it on the person who did it, but in reality it was my own stupidity for not telling him what I meant by anti-freeze.

Anyway, the toxic green stuff was poured into the fresh water tank and then pumped into the whole system for winterizing.

RV is parked in freezing weather, but will be driven to warmer climate in a week. What do I have to do to get the nasty stuff out?

Yeah I know it was stupid. Solution?
Of course none of us have ever done anything stupid but I will try to offer a suggestion.

Fill, pump water through the lines. Drain

Repeat at least 5 times.

If you want to, do it more times.

Then, run around the RV 5 times as penance for the error.
Wretched excess is just barely enough.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
Appalachian Campers
There was a change to add a really bitter factor (or something that would taste bad to keep people/animals from drinking it) but I am not so sure about becoming non-toxic. I would really be concerned with the pipes absorbing this product and then when water sets in them being absorbed back into the water.
Google talks about neutralizing it with vinegar etc, but says nothing about neutralizing the toxicity. I am thinking really hot water with soap run through them several times with a hot water wash several times. Let fresh water set in them for a few days and then take a sample to a lab and have them check for toxicity. That stuff needs to be completely gone
EG poisoning is a nasty thing to see. Crystals develop in the kidneys and is extremely painful. (we had a female 911 operator here in Ga poison two husbands with the stuff - both died very painfully)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I believe you may be confusing ethylene glycol with propylene glycol. You can't "make ethylene glycol non-toxic". There is more and more use of propylene glycol for engine anti-freeze just because of its non-toxic properties, but ethylene glycol is still available.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
Sodium Dichlor is a powdered, concentrated (60-80%) form of bleach. It is used in several industries for cleaning and sterilizing in one-step. When used carelessly it can cause severe burns, blindness, even burn lungs if dust is inhaled. It's most common use is in swimming pools. I use 1/4tsp in my 100G fresh water tank for sanitizing, because it does not have the aftertaste of household bleach.
That said, follow all the recommendations to repeatedly flush with water. Hook up to city water and allow all faucets, water heater, ice maker, etc to flow water for about an hour. The fresh water tank isn't so easy, it must be repeatedly filled and drained after driving for some miles to slosh the water around each time.
When you get good-tasting water from everything (just taste not drink) Add Sodium Dichlor and a low/non-sudsing soap to the water tank, fill the lines and water heater, allow to sit for one hour, drain, flush, repeat. If a glass of rinse water is allowed to sit for a couple hours, and a shiny film appears on the water, you didn't remove all traces of the anti-freeze.
Plain water is the best solvent for your problem; Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate and non-sudsing soap just help it.
As Rusty said, there is no product to neutralize ethylene glycol.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Thanks again! Got 3 gallons of white vinegar, bleach and will be getting some pool shock as well.

Now here's another question:

Considering, the fresh water tank only received about 2 quarts of the nasty stuff in it at the bottom, and a lot of it has been pumped into the pipes, isn't it wise to not fill up the tank until I've gotten as much antifreeze away from the bottom as possible?

What I'm saying is, it would be better to try to fiercely attack the little amount at the bottom of the tank before the whole repeated fill-up/drain cycle right?

As of right now, I can only see about half a quart of antifreeze at the very bottom corner of the fresh tank close to the pump hole.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW: If your tanks are as easy to get to as mine, disconnect the output line at the tank ( Pump input) and connect just a straight line to drain to a bucket, any water going into the tank would go right out the drain and take the antifreeze residue with it. Would also get soap out after cleaning. Still need serious cleaning but would stop pumping more AF into the system...

When you think you are clean, This may be of use. A method to detect Antifreeze in water samples. Antifreeze Detection
Also has links for Lab testing.
Take care...
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
more ideas here:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Regular antifreeze in freshwater tank!
For more information, contact:
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Division of Toxicology and and Human Health Sciences
1600 Clifton Road NE, Mailstop F-57
Atlanta, GA 30333
Phone: 1-800-CDC-INFO 888-232-6348 (TTY)
Fax: 1-770-488-4178
Email: cdcinfo@cdc.gov
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #27
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Now sounds like a good time to replumb your RV if you've ever wanted to make changes .
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Now sounds like a good time to replumb your RV if you've ever wanted to make changes .
and depending on age.who knows maybe you could get money for the copper pipes and redo it for free..with a lil time and elbow grease.

LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water