Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Help! Fridge won't get cold :(

We got into a campground today and the fridge won't get cold, freezer seems to be fine though. What can I do to try and fix it?

Details/story:
We picked up the camper about 4 hours ago and turned on the propane and the fridge. Got in and hooked up to electric about 1 hour ago. Freezer feels cold but fridge really doesn't. We have a few things already in a small cooler with cold packs and we were about to go get groceries. I don't know what do, maybe have to buy a big cooler and ice for the week? (does that make it "real" camping...?)

Am I just not waiting long enough? It seems like I have started it and had it get cold in this amount of time before. I checked the fuses and they are all fine. I don't know what else to check/try.

It is a new travel trailer, we just bought it in May. So if anything is really wrong I know the dealer will have to fix it. I just don't know what to do about it until then.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It can take 24 hours for the refer to cool down. We leave ours on all the time though.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

We store our trailer out on some property belonging to friends of ours. It's about 40 miles from home with no electricity, so leaving the propane on and the fridge going for the weeks it sits there seems like a bad idea. The land is on the way to the campground, so we pick it up on the way.

Are there things that make the fridge cool slower or faster?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

Turn it on at least 24 hrs ahead, super cool everything that you put in it & open the door as little as possible. I also added circulation fans on the cooler fins to circulate air. Put your most perishable items at the lowest point in the unit as cold air is heaver than hot and it settles in the lower part first.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

These helped. Get 2 of them & splice together.

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV, BOAT 12V | eBay
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbrooke View Post
We store our trailer out on some property belonging to friends of ours. It's about 40 miles from home with no electricity, so leaving the propane on and the fridge going for the weeks it sits there seems like a bad idea. The land is on the way to the campground, so we pick it up on the way.

Are there things that make the fridge cool slower or faster?
Are your friends willing or able to go out to the trailer the day before you pick it up, and turn it on using propane?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

When we had Dometic/Norcold, seemed like putting a bag of ice in the freezer seemed to speed up the cooling of the refrigerator.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #8

Our friends don't live that much closer than we do, they plan to build a house there eventually but haven't yet.

I guess we will buy some ice for this trip and try to figure out what to do next time.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcarol View Post
When we had Dometic/Norcold, seemed like putting a bag of ice in the freezer seemed to speed up the cooling of the refrigerator.
It will. I did the same thing, but in my case I forgot to remove the bags of ice from the freezer when I got home and when I ran out of propane whilst it was still running, you guessed it, the ice melted and made a mess on my floor!! So don't forget to remove the ice!!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #10

Absorption refrigerators cool from the freezer......down. You need to give it plenty of time to cool down and then put already cold/frozen items in it so it doesn't have to work double hard to cool itself and new food items. Remember, an absorption frig pulls heat OUT of the unit, it does not put cool IN. Give it a chance then don't hold the door open for long.

Don
Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #11

4 hours isnt enough time, especially in the summer. Takes at least one overnight period to fully cool. If the freezer is getting cold then the fridge will follow, it just takes longer.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As you now know, you need to turn it on the day before. The battery(ies) will not last more than a few days when powering the frig.

If you get someone to turn it on for you, you will need to have a disconnect switch on the battery because most RVs have some parasitic loads like the propane detector that will kill a battery in a weeks or so depending on the battery bank.

The best thing is to get your "friend" to turn it on. You will need to fully instruct him in how to turn on the master power switch, turn on the propane, purge the lines by lighting the propane surface burners and to wait long enough to see that the frig lights and does not throw a fault code.

Ken
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #13

Ah the things they don't tell you when you buy your first RV...

Thanks for all of your help, I was definitely worried that I had broken the fridge somehow. I do wonder why it had cooled down so fast before, maybe it just didn't have as much outside heat to deal with. I will know to plan for it somehow next time.

Again, thanks everyone!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbrooke View Post
Ah the things they don't tell you when you buy your first RV...

Thanks for all of your help, I was definitely worried that I had broken the fridge somehow. I do wonder why it had cooled down so fast before, maybe it just didn't have as much outside heat to deal with. I will know to plan for it somehow next time.

Again, thanks everyone!
And isn't it gratifying knowing that there was nothing wrong with your fridge after all!