Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Question Help! Fuel pump is out, where can I find a part number?

My folks recently bought an RV and it's been running like a champ. However, the fuel pump went out and we've been having a lot of trouble finding information on it. Obviously the usual parts stores (like NAPA) don't know anything about it. From some of the discussion it sounds like if I could find something for a P-30 or P-32 chassis it would probably be correct, but I'm flat-out guessing here. Can anyone help?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Need year, make, model of unit

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

If the pump has failed take it to NAPA and tell them what engine and year its from and they should be able to find a replacement.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Need year, make, model of unit
Sorry! It's a 1994 Pinnacle by Thor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
If the pump has failed take it to NAPA and tell them what engine and year its from and they should be able to find a replacement.
One problem we're facing is that we only found out about it and are planning on using it starting Friday for an entire week. It's at my folks' house about 4 hours away, so we only get one shot at replacing it. We need to get the part ordered ASAP so we can put it in this weekend and get on the road as soon as its done. I know it seems like a risky plan, but if we can find a part number we've got the mechanical ability and tools to get it done.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #5

I think you have a Chevrolet P30.
Good news is that the fuel pumps are easy to find.
Bad news is the pump is in the tank and the tank must be removed to replace the pump. I am baseing this on a 1988 P30 chassie that I had. The pump is electric and NAPA should have in stock. I found a listing on the internet at Orielly auto parts and it is instock at the local parts store in Baton Rouge.

Orielly Auto Parts
Precision Fuel Pumps - Electric Fuel Pump
$72.99 Each
Add to Printable List
Online: Available
Store: Available
Contact Store For Warranty Details
In-Tank Electric Fuel Pump
In-Tank
Flow Rate (gph): 25 gph
In-Tank Or External: In-Tank
Mechanical Or Electric: Electric
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1
Part # : E16008 | Line: PFP
Good Luck
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

You are going to have to find out what engine is in it and what year it was built. The chassis are often a year older than the year the coach is registered as. If NAPA has trouble figuring it out tell them it will probably be the same as a truck engine for about the same size chassis. I am assuming it is a front engine gas chassis. How long is it. That will give a clue what size the chassis is. If it is fairly short it will likely be on a one ton truck chassis and a longer one will be on a larger one. It will probably be a GM chassis if its gas.

Jim
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses, guys! Yes, we know the pump is in the tank - we've done a fuel pump or two in our day. My folks live on a farmstead so we've got a good shop and tools to do the work. The problem was the guys at the parts store scratching their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Orielly Auto Parts
Part # : E16008
How confident are you that this is the right one? I don't mean to sound doubtful, but I'm concerned that it might not fit - if it doesn't my family will be kind of screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
You are going to have to find out what engine is in it and what year it was built. The chassis are often a year older than the year the coach is registered as. If NAPA has trouble figuring it out tell them it will probably be the same as a truck engine for about the same size chassis. I am assuming it is a front engine gas chassis. How long is it. That will give a clue what size the chassis is. If it is fairly short it will likely be on a one ton truck chassis and a longer one will be on a larger one. It will probably be a GM chassis if its gas.

Jim
I had my mom send me a picture of the title, turns out it's registered as a 93. The VIN is 1GBKP37N2P3323230 if that helps. It's a 32' camper with a 454ci engine. My brother did tell the guys at O'Reilly's that he figured the pump would be the same one as a similar truck engine, they gave him a part number but said they really weren't sure if it would be the right one. We can try working with them again if you think we'll get better results.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

flammewerfer
IMO, the only way to be absolutely positive which fuel pump you need is to remove the bad pump.
Mel
Old 05-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #9

1993 should be a chevrolet chassie. Orielly stocks two fuel pumps that should fit.
You can look up on line. I found part Numbers E16007 and BE16007.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think this post would be better served in the Workhorse and Chevrolet forum or the Class A motor home forum.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #11

I may not be fair in my opinion but in my experience I find the counter people at NAPA to be FAR more knowledgeable than those at the discount stores like O'Rilley's or Auto Zone. If there is a NAPA store available I would try them.

If there are two possibilities with your problem I would consider buying both of them with the condition that you can return one after you figure out which one you need.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

Thank you everyone for your help. I see the same part numbers as you, Darwin. I'm not sure why we thought it was a '94 (I think it's because the manuals say it but I'm not sure). Jim stated the chassis could be from '92 but luckily O'Reilly's website says it should still be a E16007, so we'll probably pick up both the E16007 and the E16008 (for the '94 model) just to be absolutely sure we're covered since we can return the one we don't unbox.

Whew! Here's hoping. Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #13

Another option is to install a high-volume aftermarket electric fuel pump in the fuel line. It would cost as much or more than a OEM pump though. I'd still want to replace the in-tank fuel filter, which is attached to the fuel pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #14

I am a newbie but I had a similar situation with our first motorhome. No body carried the exact fuel pump unit because of the size of the tank on the motorhome, so I took apart the pump and just rebuilt it with new parts. Worked fine. So worst case scenario you can probably do the same thing. Most of the pump assemblies are not big enough for the 75 or so gallon tanks on motorhomes. In my case it was on a Ford F53 chassis. I bought a fuel pump assembly for the same year and motor and just used the frame of the old assembly with parts from the new one.

Tags
fuel