Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

HELP!! Highway 139 in California

We are wanting to drive our MH w/ toad from Klamath Falls to Reno. Using our Navagator, looks like the shortest route is Route 139. Anybody driven this road? (Got caught with the shortest route advice with a trip down Highway 36 from Junction City to Florence in Oregon, and don't want to do that again!)
Thanks for the help!
TwoMurphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
what kind of GPS?
My magellan, if asked for the shortest route, will twist and turn me down every available gravel road and goat path...

I usually ask it for "fastest route" which favors roads with higher speed limits.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

We rode 139 from K-falls to Susanville in July on our motorcycles and I don't recall any thing that might be an issue for a MH. I wasn't thinking of MHs at the time but now we are. Check out The Boomer Zoomers - Reno to Klamath Falls The pavement is good (sections of lots of tar snakes - tar crack sealing - not a MH issue but can be a motorcycle). As I recall the lines are "standard" width but not on the wide side.

Moderate ups and downs with a rather good descent into Susanville coming in from the North. You can "drive" the route with Google Earth and see what it looks like - I just did.

Stop in Adin at The Oney diner. Fresh cooked food (slow compared to Micky Ds but one h*l of a lot better) and it beats cooking yourself - at least it was for us!

We rode to the West Tule Lake and stopped at the visitors center in the Lava Beds National Monument. Might be nice diversion/stop if you've not been there. On the bikes we left Reno about 9am and got into K-falls about 5pm. We ride about 5 to 10 over the speed limit unless the CHP is around.
bmrzmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't driven 139---but on my map legend it is the same as 97 or 395 in designation. I personnaly would not hesitate to drive 139 from what I am looking at particularly the from Klammath to Canby---it is not going to turn to dirt or so narrow or windy you cannot drive it. The part from Adin to Susanville looks to be a suspicious as too elevations (again I would drive it).

At Canby if the road has not been great you can jog on 299 over to 395 and I have driven that a lot and it is a great road from there to Reno. A little longer but these are easy roads to make time on---wide two lanes----not much traffic.

The picture in my Avatar is on that part of 395.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68
what kind of GPS?
My magellan, if asked for the shortest route, will twist and turn me down every available gravel road and goat path...

I usually ask it for "fastest route" which favors roads with higher speed limits.
It has the Garmin road Atlas and usually does pretty good, but does NOT considers driving a MH! Seems that it computes travel time based on the speed limit. When we drove Route 36, it was posted at 55 mph, but not sure even a Ferrari could do more than 45! Highway Engineer that determined that Speed Limit is still laughing!! ( Me too, now that I've survived!)
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrzmrs
We rode 139 from K-falls to Susanville in July on our motorcycles and I don't recall any thing that might be an issue for a MH. I wasn't thinking of MHs at the time but now we are. Check out The Boomer Zoomers - Port Townsend to Chehalis The pavement is good (sections of lots of tar snakes - tar crack sealing - not a MH issue but can be a motorcycle). As I recall the lines are "standard" width but not on the wide side.

Moderate ups and downs with a rather good descent into Susanville coming in from the North. You can "drive" the route with Google Earth and see what it looks like - I just did.

Stop in Adin at The Oney diner. Fresh cooked food (slow compared to Micky Ds but one h*l of a lot better) and it beats cooking yourself - at least it was for us!
Thanks for the help!!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoMurphs View Post
We are wanting to drive our MH w/ toad from Klamath Falls to Reno. Using our Navagator, looks like the shortest route is Route 139. Anybody driven this road? (Got caught with the shortest route advice with a trip down Highway 36 from Junction City to Florence in Oregon, and don't want to do that again!)
Thanks for the help!
It must get pretty nasty close to Susanville because the state has it restricted to no motorhomes longer than 40ft. You can see the list here 45' Bus & Motorhome Restricted Routes

Tony G.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will be making pretty much the same trip next week. I'm going to take 299 at Canby so I can get onto 395.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california