Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #1

help hooking up to sewer

folks-
first timer hooking up to sewer today- kind of nervous aka the movie RV....
once hooked up do i leave black and grey water levers open until we leave campground or periodically dump? you think I'm new at this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Leave both valves closed, the black tank needs to be at least 3/4 full before you dump it. Dump the black tank first, then dump the gray (this will help clean out your hose). More detailed steps elsewhere in the forum. Understand the trepidation, but once you do it for the first time you'll realize it's no big deal!

rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Black tank closed until ready to dump always.

Gray tank depends on how long you will be there. Some people keep it closed and dump the gray every couple of days. I leave my gray open and only close it about 24 hours before I plan to dump the black tank.

joe
Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I hook up to the sewer but I do not leave the valves open. Do you have a monitor inside which tells you how full the tanks are? If so then periodically take a look. You want the gray water tank to be pretty full when you get ready to leave so that it will flush the nasties from the black water tank (drain black water first, then gray). If someone is taking showers inside or if you have a washer, then watch the monitor carefully and dump as needed. I had an experience with sewer flies so I never leave the valves open except when dumping. I make sure to dump before we take showers or wash clothes, then check the monitor afterwards, dump if needed. But I try to leave plenty of gray water in the tank to wash out the hose after dumping the black when we are leaving.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Leaving the black tank open will cause problems. Search this forum for "brown pyramid" if you want all the stinky details.

In order for the black tank to 'process' the solids, it needs lots of liquid. If you leave the valve open, the liquids run off quickly and leave the solids behind to form a poop mountain under your toilet. If this is allowed to happen, over time that mountain will harden and become a REAL problem to deal with. (Believe me, you don't want to deal with a brown pyramid)

So, as others have said, leave the black valve closed until your tank is 2/3 full. And use plenty of water when making a deposit. When it's time to dump, dump the black tank first, then the gray tank to rinse the bad stuff out the hose.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
i am usually in one place for a month or more at a time. i leave the vsvles for the gray tanks open and black tank closed. when dumping the black tank i always flush it afterward. i dump the black and then fill it using the tank flush until i am at least to 3/4 full. then i dump again. i do periodically close the gray tanks, add some cleaner and chemical and leave it until nearly full then dump them.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For me:

Generally speaking when I have water hook ups I leave the grey tank open and the black tank closed. I have a built in black tank flush so can always add water to flush out hose after dumping black tank.

We haven't done any road trips yet (First one is during the week of July 4th.) but our intention is to dump the black tank before we depart. If the tank is not at least 2/3 full then we will just use the black tank flush to fill it up for the dumping and keep the flush running to clean out the hose. We plan to do the same when we leave the CG to return home.

Using the black tank flush also seem to clean the probes off. The first time we dumped the black tank it kept showing 1/3 full so I ran the flush and BINGO...it showed it was empty.

Of course, if anyone sees a fatal flaw in my technique...I'm listening.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Depending on how long you are staying, I think most of us would leave the grey open until the black was close to dumping and then close the grey long enough to accumulate enough to rinse the hose after a black dump. If we are going to leave the sewer hooked up I always make sure it is protected from errant weed eaters wielded by park workers cutting grass. I use a section of plastic rain gutter I cut into 2-3 ft sections to lay the hose in and use one of the commercial sloping supports to raise the hose off the ground.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Try to use only one hand, leaving the other one free to hold your sandwich.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
If you hook up to a sewer line that Doesn't have threads and there are many like this, make sure you put something heavy on top of the connector so that when you pull the valve open the hose doesn't shoot up and out of the pipe.

Been there, done that and it sucks!!!

I now carry a five pound sand bag to hold the hose down. If your're at a dump station and see a pile of rocks... that's what they're for.. hold that hose down
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
If you hook up to a sewer line that Doesn't have threads and there are many like this, make sure you put something heavy on top of the connector so that when you pull the valve open the hose doesn't shoot up and out of the pipe.

Been there, done that and it sucks!!!

I now carry a five pound sand bag to hold the hose down. If your're at a dump station and see a pile of rocks... that's what they're for.. hold that hose down
OR..... get a SEWIWPIG.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote