Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #15
We also offered the kids to take what they wanted. They didn't want anything. They had their own stuff.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we cleaned out our house after living there 40 plus years...lots of memories...but we got to go through our things and didn't pass that burden on to our kids....it is really liberating to be free of things....on our way to Alaska right now!

Thor ACE 2013 29.2
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still.

You'll find your way!

P.S. write back when you find it.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #18
One possibility is to get your coach, close up the house and go away for a year. Come back and then decide what you should have had with you, and what you never missed.

That's when you have the garage sale.

Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of my best downsizing memories were of the more valuable items that had good memories/sentiments attached. We ended up giving/gifting them to people (family,friends, & strangers) who really loved them but could not ever afford to buy them. I knew they would cherish them as I had. It made it easy to watch them go to a new home.

We also donated art work to a local charity for their annual auction. My father's pharmacy bottle collection went to the state pharmacy organization for museums. A couple of the best pharmacy bottles went to a surgeon who helped my husband. Great-grandma's fancy linens were traded/used for a doll made with them for my daughter.

It is now fun to go to family & friends homes and again be amongst some of our "memories".

It does get easier after seeing the joy of the new owners.

If it isn't with us now, we don't own it
2008 National Pacifica 40D DP, 4 slides, 1 1/2 baths; 2007 Honda Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
First we had the kids take any family pieces and anything else they wanted or needed. I had a real hard time when it came to my Angel collection, but those that weren't given to me or extra special, I sold in the yard sale. I still cart around about 25 Angels. Go through and have a huge yard sale of as much as you can. Then I took stock of what I still had. Since I'm not a sentimentalist, I didn't have a hard time for the most part. A thrift store that raised money for Alzheimers research got huge donations of things that didn't sell. Everyone is different, but if she starts now going through each room, she may surprise you when it gets closer to time and the excitement of traveling hits.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
Here is how it's gone for us .
We had a 1500 sq ft house with a full basement , garage & shed that we owned for about 10 yrs when we got flooded in 2003 . We filled 2 roll off dumpsters with most of our belongings at that time . We lost that house 5 yrs later when the economy went south & we were so far underwater ( pun intended) because of the flood, so we moved to a 850 SW ft townhouse , no basement or shed & 2 car garage .
We lived in it comfortably for 3 yrs, when we intenionally downsized again to a 770 sq ft mobile home that has more room than we need . We are on our last step towards full timing .
In our case it took a disaster for us to realize all that stuff we had was just stuff , that's it, it's just stuff .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #22
If you have ever had to clean out a home after the occupant has passed, you will have a better understanding of downsizing. When my MIL died (her husband had already passed), we had to clean out the house and ready it for sale and the contents for auction. The children took a few small items that were important to them and the rest was sold. We found letters from when my MIL was 14 years old. She basically kept every letter and card that was sent to her. No one wanted any of these things and they were all thrown in the trash. If you keep this stuff, it just is a burden for your children to sort through later. We have been full timers for 8+ years and we do not miss any of our old possessions. In the end, it is just stuff that is not important to anyone but you and must be dealt with when you are gone.
jpharley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #23
Thank you all very much for your thoughts. As we are in a pretty large house, we've naturally filled it up. In the closets are things that we have not touched since we moved in. Perhaps we can start there and see how it goes.

Our in-laws are living with us while the MIL recovers from a broken hip. The doctor has forbidden them to return to their current home (4 level townhouse with long straight stairs, hardwood landings), so we are working on a senior living center. We'll need to clean out their house and perhaps that will provide some perspective.

I'll keep you all in the loop as we move along.

Paustin is offline   Reply With Quote