Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help me choose

My husband and I have it narrowed down to two RV's as they are for sale close to where we live, and meet our floor plan preferences.
One is a 2006 Monaco Camelot PAQ for $145,000, the other a 2006 Winnebago Vectra for $119,000. We are torn, because we feel that the Monaco is a better motorhome, but the $145,000 is a bit over our budget.
Anybody have an opinion ?
Thanks for your help
Elen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and best of luck choosing. Those are both great rigs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

Question

I have owned both a Monaco and a Winnebago and you have it exactly right, the Monaco is a higher level motorhome. Only you can decide if the extra $$ is worth spending for the Monaco. You will find wood cabinets in the Monaco and laminate in the Winnie for example. I must say that Winnebago builds a fine product that will should give you great service. My recommendation is---go spend an hour or two sitting in each coach, open the cabinets, check out the basement storage, check out the size and type of TV, refrig, dash layout, and any other things you see or can think of. Which one feels the best, like home? If it is the Monaco, only you can decide if the extra cash you will spend will be worth it!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Other than the obvious stuff like floor plan, cabinets, color, carpet.... what about...?

1) chassis ( raised rail/ air bags, levellers)
2) drivetrain (HP & Torque to weight ratio....engine version exhaust brake)
3) suspension ( how does it drive & handle)
4) age & condition of tires
5) age & condition of the battery bank / size of the inverter ( modified or pure sine)
6) what kind of refer (see threads on Norcold recalls & problems)
7) what about heating. & cooling
8) what about the TV's ( have they been upgraded)... What about the sat system
9) what about insulation, heated bays, etc

Anyway, the obvious stuff is important, but try to do an honest comparison of the expensive mechanical/ drivetrain & systems stuff to see if the Monaco is worth the extra $$$$.

Try to make your fist purchase your last purchase!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think the Camelot is worth more than the Vectra, assuming equal condition of the two rigs. Whether it is worth $26k more is a tougher question. I'd pay an extra $10-12k without blinking.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

I say offer 120K for the Monaco.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have and they did not accept $125,000.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elencas View Post
My husband and I have it narrowed down to two RV's as they are for sale close to where we live, and meet our floor plan preferences.
One is a 2006 Monaco Camelot PAQ for $145,000, the other a 2006 Winnebago Vectra for $119,000. We are torn, because we feel that the Monaco is a better motorhome, but the $145,000 is a bit over our budget.
Anybody have an opinion ?
Thanks for your help
Elen

2006 Monaco Camelot PAQ NADA Base Pricing Guide ......
Pricing
Suggested List Price Low
Retail Average Retail
Base Price: $273,529 $113,040 $136,190

The above pricing is the base price only with out ANY options, and it reflects my home zip code. Other zip codes may reflect different pricing.
There are 3 different Vector models offered in 2006 so I couldn't show the Winnie.

I guess the first question I'd ask is which floor plan best suits your needs? Which coach gives you that "warm fussy" feelings? Which coach has it's maintenance records? What's the mileage on both coaches? Were coaches stored indoors or out? What are the date codes on the tires? You could be coming up on having to change all of the tires...If $145,000.00 is his firm price (and if you really want the Monaco) then tell him at that price he has to replace ALL of the tires (with the brand that you choose) and change the oil and oil filters along with the air and fuel filters...Other wise walk, there are other deals out there, no need to be in a hurry.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #9

I would tell them thank you but we will look around, then wait for a phone call. IN todays market and with winter approaching , they will call and if not trust me, their are many coaches out there for sale. "Close to where you live" might mean something if it were new and under warranty but not used, IMO
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Which RV feels the best for you? Does one or the other feel better? Give this some weight. The floor plan and the layout means a great deal in the long run. You need to live with the interior layout and you need to be comfortable with the one that you choose. If everything is equal...choose the one that you can relax in and love at the end of the day....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I think we're comparing apples and oranges here. They both come with a 400HP engine and have the same weight. The fit and finish seems to be better in the Monaco (I've never been in a Winnie!). The frame and suspension is superior in the Cam (8 Airbags and 8 Shocks). Plus the Cam has full pass-through for storing items, the Winnie has baggage compartments that slides out with the slides reducing the amount of storage by a lot.

I'd say the Monaco is a better buy but it's also possible to deal it.

Here's the two brochures
http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/...Vectra-bro.pdf
http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil.../06Camelot.pdf
Cayman09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Going for a Monaco

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post. The people wont budge on their $145,000. As many of you have commented, we need to go with the coach that makes us feel the best, and that is the Monaco. We are going to keep looking. We found a PAQ Diplomat in Fort Meyers Florida. A good friend of ours lives there and is going to check it out tomorrow. Looks like a nice coach.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like we found one

If the Cummings garage gives it a clean bill of health, we will fly to Florida to pick up our 2006 Monaco Diplomat PAQ.
We will then drive it home to California. Hubby says I have to help drive. Yikes, makes me a little nervous driving a 40 ft rig!!
Any advice besides taking it slow and easy?
Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elencas View Post
If the Cummings garage gives it a clean bill of health, we will fly to Florida to pick up our 2006 Monaco Diplomat PAQ.
We will then drive it home to California. Hubby says I have to help drive. Yikes, makes me a little nervous driving a 40 ft rig!!
Any advice besides taking it slow and easy?
Thanks
Congrats in advance. The Dip is a very nice coach build on the good chassis. Plus it was build before Monaco had problems. so expect better quality than today.

As for driving, no big deal, drive it like you stole it and the drive will be shorter

Cayman09 is online now   Reply With Quote