Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #1

Help me finalize my first RV purchase - sub 30ft, $150k budget

We have rented several RVs in the past, to confirm what we like/don't like, and to be sure before purchasing. We have also read this forum quite a bit and just today registered.

Us - family of four, mom/dad, two boys, ages 10 and 8

Usage - long road trips, bring bikes, dog, ability to stop in rest stops or campgrounds, stay the night, occasionally go on dedicated camping trips.

We are not - a retiree couple, looking to spend weeks camped somewhere, needing a huge RV.

Our budget - $150k including taxes.

Our current thinking - based on driving various sizes, we are most comfortable with something in the 20-30ft range, we just don't need anything bigger and my wife starts to feel less comfortable driving larger than that. We like the idea of a smaller A (examples - VIA, Reyo, Brave, etc.) or maybe even a well configured B.

Our problem/challenge - we love the MB Sprinter platform conversion Bs, like the Airstream Interstate. But seems a bit too small for our needs. We also love the new Brave, but it seems a bit too big for what we need and for driveability. We really would like to find something where our two boys can sit, seatbelted, facing forward, while we are driving. Many of the smaller As have them sitting sideways on a sofa. We like the captain chairs configuration of the Bs, but with the added room, sleeping, galley, shower, storage, etc. of the A. Does this RV exist? We cant find it.

Lastly, in terms of other details, we prefer a more modern/European look vs. the more traditional cabin/browns. We also like the idea of a MB turbo diesel engine, but are ok with a Ford V10 also.

Until now we have excluded class C because we find the driveability to feel a bit "detached" and swervy on the road. Not sure if that is fair assessment, but we have driven a few C, including a brand new MB 3500 chassis C and it still felt like it had too much play on the road for our liking.

Help! Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Forget the Spinter in your case.. it would be way too small... If you want to see a nice motorhome check out the Newmar Baystar 2901 (or 03 I forget).. it is on a 22.5" tire chassis with a ford v10. Quality, handling and overall use you will love it.. they have a 27' model but it is on a smaller chassis..I'd not suggest it. Your probably in the $100,000 range.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

Give this guy a call and talk directly to Tom... you will love his prices:
Tom Lindstrom RV Inc. - CA RV Dealer
Old 05-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
Give this guy a call and talk directly to Tom... you will love his prices:
Tom Lindstrom RV Inc. - CA RV Dealer
I'll second the recommendation of Tom Lindstrom. I've been working with him and found his prices unbeatable by my local dealer. He has been fair and seems to me, as one who generally does not like salesmen, completely honest and above board.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

try the Thor Axis or Vegas 26' gassers or
maybe the Palazzo 33.2 diesel pusher, slightly
longer but drives great, easy to manuver, and
great fuel mileage

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you planning on sightseeing after you get to your destination? If yes, will you use the MH or tow a car? This should be factored into your selection. Don't forget your boys will grow and they'll need more space.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #7

You are going to get opinions across the board....so I'll throw mine in the mix. Among a host of pop-ups, truck campers & trailers, we have owned a 24' class C & now a 22' Class A. We loved our Class C, but I would not go back to one. The A will give you much better visibility, way more storage and I think better driving characteristics.

I agree with MisterT....take a look at diesel's at 30'...I think you will like the ride over a gasser. Also, since this is your first purchase, consider a late model used unit so if "down the road" you change your mind it won't sting quite as bad.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #8

Something like this Tiffin 28' Class A diesel maybe?:

2012 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Breeze , Bremerton WA - 113935999 - RVTrader.com

I know the seat configuration is not what you are looking for, but you can get an idea of layout and price.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Consider a Floor plan that has bunk beds big enough for adult's to use and a queen size bed in main bedroom.

Let that one be your length needed.

Making and unmaking a couch & kitchen table into a bed for the kids will get old fast.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #10

$150k budget opens a lot of possibilities. I'd be looking at a quality used one that would give you plenty of room for four. A lot of people are antsy at first with a larger coach, but it doesn't take long to get used to it and enjoy the larger living area.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
try the Thor Axis or Vegas 26' gassers or
maybe the Palazzo 33.2 diesel pusher, slightly
longer but drives great, easy to manuver, and
great fuel mileage
I owned a Thor AXIS for 6 months. Worst motorhome I ever owned. Sold it at a loss. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Regards, Jerry
Old 05-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Consider a Floor plan that has bunk beds big enough for adult's to use and a queen size bed in main bedroom.

Let that one be your length needed.

Making and unmaking a couch & kitchen table into a bed for the kids will get old fast.

X2. We have a 30 ft class A and it is very comfy for the two of us, but with our two grandsons that are the same age as your boys, it is a pain making and unmaking the dinette for them to sleep. Find a nice bunkhouse floor plan.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #13

Smile bounder

just my oponion. My dw and i own a 2011 bounder. 1st motorhome and llove it lot. Dw is short, 5'0 me tall 6'4. She drives and handles the coach with ease. Have traveled with 4 and 5 adults with plenty of room. have always heard buy your last MH first. We have looked at alot of new MH's and would not trade what we have. new it cost 120,000.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Why don't you take a look at the web site (go with the winns) I think that's th web page. They have a showdown on various size and types of RV'S. Just give you something else to think about. LOL.

Now that I think about it should be (gone with the Winns)

Tags
purchase