Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
However, when we do take our grown kids with us it will be five adults all trying to play board games, eat dinner and get a good nights sleep
Not sure what your definition of "grown kids" is... but I travel with my 13, 14 and 16yr kids and I consider them "grown"... My son is 6'2" and my girls aren't very far behind..

Please take a look at my signature, I have a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F... Yes its a bit more than 30ft.. but I can speak from personal experience on having 5 grown adults in the RV while traveling.. and while sitting around waiting for the weather to clear.. As someone said.. imagine yourself and the others sitting in the RV because of gale force winds and rain... it happens.. and being prepared for it is something everyone should consider..

As to the driving thing.. I think you need to get your wife behind the wheel.. this is always a touchy subject.. but my GF LOVES to drive the RV.. in fact, while driving to our destinations, she does most of the driving.. she will hand off the responsibility to me once we get in the city or the campground.. but driving straight down the highway at 65mph in an RV is not much different than driving a car.. or at least that's what she says..

Good luck with your search..

EDIT: I will add... I know WBGO, and others, have an option of a drop down bed over the drivers cockpit.. That might help spread the group up..

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Not sure what your definition of "grown kids" is... but I travel with my 13, 14 and 16yr kids and I consider them "grown"... My son is 6'2" and my girls aren't very far behind..

Please take a look at my signature, I have a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F... Yes its a bit more than 30ft.. but I can speak from personal experience on having 5 grown adults in the RV while traveling.. and while sitting around waiting for the weather to clear.. As someone said.. imagine yourself and the others sitting in the RV because of gale force winds and rain... it happens.. and being prepared for it is something everyone should consider..

As to the driving thing.. I think you need to get your wife behind the wheel.. this is always a touchy subject.. but my GF LOVES to drive the RV.. in fact, while driving to our destinations, she does most of the driving.. she will hand off the responsibility to me once we get in the city or the campground.. but driving straight down the highway at 65mph in an RV is not much different than driving a car.. or at least that's what she says..

Good luck with your search..

EDIT: I will add... I know WBGO, and others, have an option of a drop down bed over the drivers cockpit.. That might help spread the group up..
my youngest is 21, but I still call them "my kids" and they don't live at home anymore - hence, the 80% of the time it will just be me and my wife.

On the size issue. We have borrowed my parents 33.5' RV for several trips. Two of those trips were 2 weeks long to Florida and back (from Texas). My wife drove half the time. She doesn't really have any trouble driving one that size - I'm not sure why she is interested in the idea of smaller.

I told her what I heard someone else say - "it only takes a week or two to get used to driving a larger rig, but you can never get USED to being in a rig that is too small."

I think she also assumes smaller equals cheaper - which is not always the case.

We have been in the 33.5' Class A with five people and I know that can even get cramped at times. I think when we actually start going around the dealers and spending more time in coaches less than 30' it will become more obvious that it will be a tight fit.

wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'd go with your wife with a caveat. Get a guest tent. Very few motor homes really seat more than 4 for a meal. You can cook for more but not seat them reasonably so it will be an outside adventure. Ditto the board games.

You won't be full timing so you will not need the space. A 30 foot unit opens up a lot more places to park. It is a sweet spot for two. You can add a guest or two with the couch. Ditch the dinette for a table if you want to but keep track of how many you can seat with belts. Dinettes are 4 but tables are zero because chairs do not count when driving.

When parked and the crew flies in get two adjacent campsites and bring a decent tent. Most folks can do well on the ground with a good air pad as long as they are fairly limber. Your kids should qualify. They might also like the privacy. Sleeping bags all around except for the main bed makes life a lot easier.

You can take a reasonable towed with the 30 ft then have the fly in's rent a mini van for group trips. Again, a lot easier. and sometimes handier.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. 80% of the time will be for the two of you. Why purchase a RV to work around the kids? Plus, how much longer will they even want to vacation with you? In a later post you said the kids are over 21.

I would highly recommend getting a large tent for them. Also, some parks have cabins and the bigger national parks have hotels.

Sofas are horrible to sleep on and then everyone has to go to bed at the same time. You have to have a place to store all the extra bedding and make up the beds every night.

As someone also mentioned, make sure you have seat belts for everyone aboard. If you have a table and chairs that won't work.

Get the RV for YOU. Let the kids drive the vehicle that you were going to tow. You'll probably even want a bigger vehicle for 5 adults than one you could tow with a small RV.

Look at floorplans on PPL Consignment site to get a general idea of what's out there and the prices. Good luck!

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #18

I can't imagine full timing in a 30'. I'm sure others have done it but remember everything you own, wear and eat have to fit in there. Our latest MH is 40' and it would be fine for the two of us. The difference between driving a 35' and a 40' is nothing in my opinion.

Personally I'd keep pushing the wife to really contemplate what that extra 10' offers. Especially in terms of having a real bed all the time, bathroom, kitchen and storage space.

Once you both settle on that you can start looking at what $50k can buy you. You may end up settling for a slightly smaller gas class A, but that's fine
Old 04-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I can't imagine full timing in a 30'. I'm sure others have done it but remember everything you own, wear and eat have to fit in there. Our latest MH is 40' and it would be fine for the two of us. The difference between driving a 35' and a 40' is nothing in my opinion.

Personally I'd keep pushing the wife to really contemplate what that extra 10' offers. Especially in terms of having a real bed all the time, bathroom, kitchen and storage space.

Once you both settle on that you can start looking at what $50k can buy you. You may end up settling for a slightly smaller gas class A, but that's fine
we will not be full-timing until I retire in 8 years. This is just a rig for the weekend getaways and the family get together every 6 months. However, I will say this. We spent two weeks in a 33.5' RV that had bunk beds. One trip we used the over-the-cab dropdown bed (which had to be put back up everyday). The next trip we used the bunk on the side for our daughter and just the convenience of not having to build and teardown a bed 2x a day was a treat.
wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #20

Gotcha, I misunderstood. Our neighbors have a class B they use like that. They also bring friends occasionally. Tight but usable with 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
we will not be full-timing until I retire in 8 years. This is just a rig for the weekend getaways and the family get together every 6 months. However, I will say this. We spent two weeks in a 33.5' RV that had bunk beds. One trip we used the over-the-cab dropdown bed (which had to be put back up everyday). The next trip we used the bunk on the side for our daughter and just the convenience of not having to build and teardown a bed 2x a day was a treat.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #21

Keep in mind that with your $50,000 budget that will rule out almost all decent 40' diesel coaches with few exceptions. Were I looking at 40' with a $50,000 budget, it would be a late 90's Foretravel. Check out Motorhomes of Texas.

Our 2010 35' Siena is a fantastic floor plan with washer/dryer, residential fridge and full size 30" range. You might be able to find a 2005 or so for close to your budget amount. We had our choice of a 35' or 39' with a Workhorse chassis, but chose the 35' with no regrets.

Knowledge is power. Keep looking and reading. It will be clear after a while which way to proceed.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #22

Keep in mind that with your $50,000 budget that will rule out almost all decent 40' diesel coaches with few exceptions. Were I looking at 40' with a $50,000 budget, it would be a late 90's Foretravel. Check out Motorhomes of Texas.

Our 2010 35' Siena is a fantastic floor plan with washer/dryer, residential fridge and full size 30" range. You might be able to find a 2005 or so for close to your budget amount. We had our choice of a 35' or 39' with a Workhorse chassis, but chose the 35' with no regrets.

Knowledge is power. Keep looking and reading. It will be clear after a while, which way to proceed.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 AM   #23

Maybe something like this 2009 Forest River Georgetown 357QS, San Antonio TX - - RVtrader.com
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Most National Parks have a length limit of 32 feet, check around. That said, my first MH was 37' with 2 toilets, mid and rear. Real pain with extra black water drain.

Look for a MH on a Workhorse chassis. Quiet running compared to Foed V10 My neighbor had a 39' monaco 3 slides with workhorse chassis. It was an 05 and he sold it 3 yearsv ago for 65k . Reason I mention him is they did exactly as you are planning. Did not tow, but rented when at destination. Or kids rented when flew to join.
JMHO