Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Help narrowing down the "right one"

First time RVers and we're pulling the trigger on a used unit within a week or so. We have narrowed down our wants, needs, likes, balanced with a bit of "gotta have" and "would be nice but not necessary" and have landed on 5 different units. They range from an '05 National Sea Breeze to an '11 Itasca 30W. All are available for $55,000 or less. As loans are a profit source for dealerships we can write it that way and pay it off before the interest kicks if it helps with the negotiation. Right now I'm interested in feedback about these 5 specific coaches:
2011 Itasca Sunstar 30W
2010 Coachmen Mirada 29DS
2007 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro 30 DA 2-SL

Yes, it's a wide range but all are clean and after 30 minutes with each, just looking and tire kicking not test driven yet all can meet our needs and stay within budget.
Is newer necessarily better? Are Tiffin and Itasca really that great? Is a National RV or Coachman synonymous with shoddy workmanship? Any and all feedback welcome from personal experience to "I heard from a cousin of my deceased aunt twice removed on an elevator".

I've posted links to four of the five actual coaches on my web site here:
TonyD - Marketing Wizard

Local library has N.A.D.A RV Wholesale Appraisal book which we're referencing.

tonyd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
It looks like you have been real busy looking at RVs lately.

Are you aware National is no longer in business? They made decent coaches, but the Seabreeze a pretty old motorhome for a first time buyer when the company that made it is no longer in business.

The choice for me is a no-brainer. We used to have a Tiffin Alegro Bay, and were very pleased with it. Tiffin is a good company and provides good customer service. Not only that, but the Allegro is probably a higher level of build quality and amenities than the others.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #3
Identically equipped and you absolutely love the floor plans in each (in other words, all else being equal), I'd go with a newer one, likely the Itasca.

The '05 and '07 coaches would have to be REALLY nice in order to start trying to justify the purchase of something that much older. The '05 is already old enough where a lot of people would have a tough time financing it..... a HUGE factor when it comes to resale value.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
It makes no difference if a manufacturer is not in business anymore. There's no issue in getting parts. A friend has an early National and is extremely happy with it. Good luck!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Tiffin has an excellent reputation.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

In my opinion, the company in business only matters if it's still under warranty, which non of these are.

Floorplan, condition, and maintenance (proven by records) are the biggies to me. All else is secondary.
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
Went with the Itasca, taking delivery this Friday, August 14th. Now only time will tell.
tonyd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #8
I think that is a good choice. Enjoy
2015 Fleetwood Storm 28MS and 13 Honda CRV Toad
Blue Ox Towbar & baseplate SMI Stay N Play brakes
tim myers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

Congrats on the new rig ....
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
We need pictures!!!!!
tim myers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
Congrats on the purchase, late to this thread but I would have recommended the Itasca or the Tiffin. And yes it does matter if the company went out of business, first there is usually a reason they went out of business when others were still able to keep their doors open, and two even though you may be able to get parts they may not be the exact match, and may be limited in availability. So good choice and congrats, now go out and enjoy it.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote