Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
HELP! New RV's And Dealer Added Protective Coatings?

Seems no matter if you buy a car or an RV, the dealer is trying to sell you an add-on protective coating for both the exterior as well as the interior.

I know the dealers make a lot of commission on these sales.. but, my question is.. Are they effective.. and for how long? What do they do that, having the right coating, I couldn't do myself? I know the price is quite negotiable.

I'm about to pick up a new motorhome and they tried to talk me into the product.

Hopefully, someone can set me straight on this. If it's good, for a reasonable period.. I'd do it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't get it. Just keep your coach cleaned and some Turtle spray wax every once in a while will be fine. Will your unit be stored under a roof? Unless I could actually witness the application of the "protectant" I would not have it applied. That's just me though.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Seems no matter if you buy a car or an RV, the dealer is trying to sell you an add-on protective coating for both the exterior as well as the interior.

I know the dealers make a lot of commission on these sales.. but, my question is.. Are they effective.. and for how long? What do they do that, having the right coating, I couldn't do myself? I know the price is quite negotiable.

I'm about to pick up a new motorhome and they tried to talk me into the product.

Hopefully, someone can set me straight on this. If it's good, for a reasonable period.. I'd do it.
You don't need it.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Thanks, after a bit more research, it seems it's only a polymer that get's applied a minimal wage person. I can do that.. or have it done at home and save a bunch.

So, that begs a new question.. What is a good RV cover?

It will be stored outside.. in full sun. I have thought about buying a cover for it.. mainly to keep dust, etc off it. I've seen the Tyvek type covers totally disintegrate when they got wet.. so, it won't be one of those. I've thought about a cover that's made of the parachute material.. The roof is fiberglass or similar.. not rubber.. so, I guess I won't have a lot of trouble with mildew on the roof. They are also very light. I'm fearful of the ones that seem to be made from the canvas type material as they would be too heavy for my old body.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #5

The only real thing the dealer applied add-on protective coating is protecting is the dealer's profit.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Thanks, after a bit more research, it seems it's only a polymer that get's applied a minimal wage person. I can do that.. or have it done at home and save a bunch.

So, that begs a new question.. What is a good RV cover?

It will be stored outside.. in full sun. I have thought about buying a cover for it.. mainly to keep dust, etc off it. I've seen the Tyvek type covers totally disintegrate when they got wet.. so, it won't be one of those. I've thought about a cover that's made of the parachute material.. The roof is fiberglass or similar.. not rubber.. so, I guess I won't have a lot of trouble with mildew on the roof. They are also very light. I'm fearful of the ones that seem to be made from the canvas type material as they would be too heavy for my old body.
If there is any way you could get a simple roof over it that would be the best, If you could get sides down about half way that would be better. I have a barn I can put my bus in so I cannot help much on the cover but I would try to get one that wont leave scratches on your bus if the wind picks up. Perhaps someone else know of a good cover. Make sure your tires are covered or out of the sunlight.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Do it yourself. Any decent boat or RV polish will protect the exterior, and a can or two of Scotchguard for the interior.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dealers buy that "protective coating" by the 55 gal drums. And then use about 2 cups on a car and charge you $150. Here in Tucson Jim Click dealerships started back in the 70's doing this and called it "desert protection package". They all peel if you don't keep it clean and waxed.

I tell them that I'm not paying for it and response is it's already on there. I tell them to take it off, they say they can't, so I'm not paying for it, or I'll go find another one....

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #9

Advo Tyvek RV Covers doesn't fall apart when wet but they do like all covers rip easily. In full hot sun areas they last about a year or so. I've owned/used 4-5 of them.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, rvs