Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #1

Help planning a trip

We are looking at a Pacific Northwest trip. Sacramento to Oregon/Washington. We are interested in suggestions of places to see. We have up to 3 weeks so we need places to discover. Thanks for the help and input! Rick

Manx style VW Dune Buggy fully restored
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 PM   #2

In Washington you will want to see the Olympic peninsula and HOH rain forest. Fort Kitsap is also pretty cool. If you take the North cascade pass and then end up in Leavenworth. Lots of choice depends on what your interests are.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #3

The Avenue of Giants to see the redwoods. Hwy 101 up the coast is very scenic. We checked out the Columbia River Gorge just east of Portland. It has many scenic waterfalls, as well as a hydro electric dam you can visit.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Help planning a trip

We are making the same trip now. As suggested, Ancient Redwoods rv park on Ave of the Giants. bring bikes if you got them. Awesome area. We then hit Newport staying at the Marina. Great fish market down the street. And the water front across the bridge is a little touristy but cool. Beach is great. Moved up the coast yesterday to Netarts just outside of Tillamook. A quiet little bay front area. Beautiful up here. We are cyclists, so my travels center around finding good riding in the area and exploring. I will keep you posted on our experience. We move up to seaside in a week. Then????? Here is a shot from my ride yesterday.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	982.3 KB
ID:	208194
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
We have up to 3 weeks so we need places to discover. Thanks for the help and input! Rick
Why 3 weeks?

Sell everything in California and don't go back. Seattle has more sunny days in February than Sacramento.

California has become the 'no' state.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Why 3 weeks?

Sell everything in California and don't go back. Seattle has more sunny days in February than Sacramento.

California has become the 'no' state.

What about the winters? Sunny?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
A usual suggestion is to go south on HWY 101 from the northern areas. That way you are on the same side of the road as most scenic pull offs, making if safer. Tillamook cheese factory, Sea Lion Caves and a lot of light houses on the Oregon Coast.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

The redwoods are at the top of the list. So is the Sandy mountain festival in Sandy, Oregon. (Grandad actually founded the festival to help local artists.)
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider a loop taking 101 North or South and doing East of the Sierra Nevada on opposite direction.
Head to Eastern Oregon over Mt Hood before/after Sandy Mountain Festival stopping at Bend, Crater Lake, Klamath Basin, Lassen, Manzanar. Take your time, this was one of our best routes.
If staying near Portland, get your reservations ASAP. Here now & it's getting pretty hard to find a place.
Always loved Sandy Mountain Festival...good job Grandpa

Also recommend the Rogue River Mail Boat trip in Gold Beach, OR. Humboldt County Fairground, Ferndale, CA was a good overnight and super cute victorian town. Eat at Loleta Cheese Factory not too far away for grilled cheese sandwiches.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
What about the winters? Sunny?
Yes!

My basic problem with California is politics. When I lived in Cali I worked for SMUD. Lived in Sacramento and Sutter Creek. When politics closed Rancho Seco, I went back to GE in San Jose for a few year before moving to Washington State.

My dad moved from Seattle in 1960 to San Jose. Between the navy and my jobs I have traveled the world and and lived many places. I said I would never move back but I did. I only go back to visit family.

As far as the PNW is concerned, since retiring still finding new places to discover. It is hard to find disappointment. Seattle has become a big city with lots of freeways.

Some of the places that inspired me when I was young and still find worth going back include:

Crater Lake

The Columbia River Gorge is a must see. I prefer the Washington State side via highway 14 crossing over to Oregon again ar Cascade Locks.

Cannon Beach (well any place along the PNW coast). We loved Fort Stevens State Park.

Olympic National Park. Then head north on US 101 via Astoria to South Beach campground another of our favorites if you like ocean views. Olympic National Park and Victoria BC are definitely must see places if you have the time. The latter is something we did before our MH days.

Number one on our PNW must do list is a ferry trip viewing Mt Rainier as the sun is setting on a clear day. This does require cooperation of weather. Seattle was always one of my favorite cities and a place I lived as child but I have not been back in more than 10 years.

The PNW has two climates but during the summer it is dry everywhere.

US -12 is the northernmost pass through the Cascades that we have driven in the MH. Over the years we have done them all by car including those in BC. All are beautiful!

East of the Cascades is semi-arid. Hot during the day and cool at night and a lot less crowded.