Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathieS View Post
...I've replaced the electrical boards (hot water system, and breaker box) as they have melted...

You might consider a call to a certified RV electrician.

Certainly you do need a surge protector as repeated above six or seven times. But there could be an underlying factor (a short?) causing a dangerous problem. Circuit boards don't just melt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I want to make sure you completely understand the difference between the terminology used frequently on this forum describing a "Surge Protector" and an Electrical Management System commonly called an EMS.

A surge protector is solely used for electrical spikes and can be purchased for as little as a few dollars up to hundreds of dollars.

An EMS System will evaluate the quality of the electricity coming through your shore power cable BEFORE it reaches your RV making sure that it does NOT destroy anything electrical in your RV. This EMS system should also include surge protection. It will check for high and low voltage, high and low HZ, open ground and neutral wires, etc. It will also display EXACTLY what the problem is with an error code. That way the RV Park owner cannot dispute whether it is their problem or yours.

I strongly suggest that for anyone that has no clue about electricity, to have one of these EMS units installed on your RV if your hook up to shore power at any RV Park around the country.

For a traveling nurse, this would be the first essential item needed on their RV.

My recommendation as other have done is to purchase one of the Progressive Industries EMS system available from this link.

Progressive Industries

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cathy, you should also know that which ever Surge Protector you buy they cut the power off if theres a problem in the incoming power before it creates a problem in your camper. My understanding is that they do reset automatically if the problem is rectified, mine does, and allow the power to flow again. I mention this because you mentioned that your have furry kids you leave in the camper while away. The thing worth noting is that should a problem occur, serious problem with the CG power for example, and not be rectified the power will remain off, obviously. You should have a backup plan in place with your neighbours if at all possible.
I guess a better way to put it would be to say that Surge Protectors protect your camper from a whole host of pontential problems from CG electricty, but once the power is off its off, unless it was a very short term problem. Have a plan in place to protect the furry kids.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #18

Cathie, Welcome, and seems as though you have gotten a lot of good advice. Good luck...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #19

Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the site.

Van.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #20

Okay, thank you all first of all for the information, but seems I have more questions again. My breaker box is a 45 amp, I'm plugged into a 50 amp site, have had an adapter before down to a 30 amp, but no longer need that. Do I get an EMS for 50 amp? Don't find one available on their website for 45 amp.

My neighbors leave frequently, almost on a weekly basis, so really have no way of making a plan for someone to have my key. I've just met a couple of other travel nurses in the campground that until I leave Johns Hopkins I can have look out for my girls, and they like the couple. (which is important if someone is coming into my girls house)

Sorry I'm so confused, and thank you all for your help. I am learning as I go, and at 53 y/o, I'm glad I can still learn.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if you're confused or misinformed or we are.

I believe everyone assumed you had a 30amp trailer. Mostly because that electrician upgraded your box to 45amp. That didn't make any sence since with a 30amp cord and service you cant get more than 30a anyway.

If you had a 50a to begin with, which is actually 100amps, (2 separate 50amp circuits) a 45amp box is a sever downgrade.

If your trailer originally came with a 3 prong shore cord, it was a 30amp trailer. If your shore cord now has a larger 4 prong cord, that electrician did some strange work if that new box is only a 45amp.

With what I see and understand so far, it sounds like this electrician put in a single phase 45amp box. Then he added a 50amp shore cord and only wired one 50amp phase to that box. (A normal 50a coach has two separate 50a circuits giving the coach a total of 100amps)

It wouldn't be prudent for anyone to advise on a surge protector or an EMS until all this is sorted and confirmation on exactly what this electrician did.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
First off, there is no way a 20 foot Coleman Caravan tow trailer would be wired or need to have 50 amp service nor should it need a specially adapted 50 amp male plug. That was a crazy thing to do by an electrician but sometimes they don't understand the major differences between RV wiring and house wiring.

The very first thing to do is to remove the 50 amp male plug and install a proper 30 amp RV male plug. Then if you want to, use a 50-30 amp dog-bone adapter or plug directly into a 30 amp receptacle.

Regarding the shore power supply pedestals, they are the responsibility of the RV Park and this is where the Progressive Industries EMS system comes into play.

When using the PI EMS system, after first plugging into the pedestal, the EMS system will evaluate the quality of the electricity coming from the pedestal. If it meets all standards, the contactor will close and transfer shore power to your RV. If it doesn't, it will give you an error code of what the problem is and then the RV Park electrician can work on correcting the problem at the pedestal.

Since your RV is only using 30 amps, then you only need to purchase a 30 amp Progressive Industries unit, one of your choice, portable or hard-wired. If you are planning to upgrade to a 50 amp RV, you may consider purchasing the 50 amp portable unit and use your dog-bone each time. However, most RV Parks will always have 30 amp service versus having both 30 amp and 50 amp.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #23

Carolina Campers
First of all Cathie, welcome to the forums. My wife is a former travel nurse too.

There doesn't seem to be a clear picture of exactly what the electrician did or did not do and how he did it! I think your best bet would be to have a qualified RV electrician take a look at your wiring and make any corrections. Folks in your campground might be able to recommend someone or you can look at reviews on this website for an RV tech in your area. RV Service Review
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Cathie! Welcome to IRV2! Can't help on your questions but I bet you get plenty of answers. Have fun & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cathy, posting some pics of the Shore cord ends might help us understand what it is you've got. This 45 Amp box has a lot of us confused. I'm fairly new to the whole RV thing but I've not heard of a 45 Amp connection. 30 and 50 yes but not 45. Not many TT's with more than 30 Amp service, I should think. You normally find 50 Amps on larger coaches with 2 airconditioners. As an example, my coach is 50 Amps, if I pluge into a 30 Amp service I have to decide what appliance I want to use when. Forinstance I can't use both the AC's simultaniously, nor can I use 1 AC and the microwave, or any combination of high draw(Amps) appliances. Why? because I only have 30 Amps with which to work, regardless of the fact that my coach can operate on up to 50 Amps. Theres only 30 Amps coming into the coach from the post and theres nothing I can do to change that, except leave and go to a 50 Amp park, not a lot of these in this neck of the woods. So I practice whats called Load Sharing bacially deciding what appliance I need to use and shut something else off.
Sombody in a previous post mentioned getting an electrician certified in RV's, they are not the same as a house and require a different skill set to work on. That is an excellent piece of advice. And one that I would recommend you follow up on. Asking people in your park for advice in most cases, like asking for information in these forms, is a good thing, Your fellow campers and people in these forms are eager to help, but you seem to have a real boondoggle going on and I would encourage you to seek out a proper RV shop to have your RV serviced. In the end I think thats the best solution for you, your furry kids and your rig.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #26

I totally agree with IMDSailor!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #27

Okay, I think it's me that is confusing everybody. Nothing was done to the outside plug to my rig. So, it's still a 30 amp plug. He changed the breaker box from 30 amp to 45 amp. I'm plugged into a 50 amp spot with an adapter to 30 amp. So, if I understand correctly, I still need a 30 amp surge protector, and continue to use my 50 to 30 amp adapter. Basically, he just made it so I can use more of my appliances at a time? Or, just spent money I didn't need to spend? Sorry, I'm so dense. Give me a nursing question, I can probablly have the answer, but not on campers. You all are great, and I appreciate all the help. I'm sure it won't be the last "dumb" question I have. I do however appreciate you not making me feel dumb.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #28

Surge Protectors:
Cut and paste link:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output...w=1024&bih=519