Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
It's very possible. I just have to take her word the "box" was replaced with a 45. Besides that a 30 to 45a converter would not allow her to run more appliances. You would have to be running a whole lot of DC stuff to use 30a. Of couse we really don't know exactly what he told her or exactly what she thought he meant.

You wouldn't think an electrician would put 45a breakers behind 30a wiring. I actually had to check to see if 45a breakers existed. They did so for her safety, I will continue to respond as if she does.

However, everyone here has made it clear of the dangers and how to proceed to to protect her trailer and have it inspected as to what she actually has. So the ball is in her court.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It's very possible. I just have to take her word the "box" was replaced with a 45. Besides that a 30 to 45a converter would not allow her to run more appliances. You would have to be running a whole lot of DC stuff to use 30a. Of couse we really don't know exactly what he told her or exactly what she thought he meant.

You wouldn't think an electrician would put 45a breakers behind 30a wiring. I actually had to check to see if 45a breakers existed. They did so for her safety, I will continue to respond as if she does.

However, everyone here has made it clear of the dangers and how to proceed to to protect her trailer and have it inspected as to what she actually has. So the ball is in her court.

Why wouldn't I honestly tell you what was told to me? I came here asking for help. When I said nobody made me feel dumb, I just retract that statement! I was told he changed from a 30 amp breaker box to a 45 amp. Nothing was changed on the outside of the camper.

Thank you all that answered with helpful information, I appreciate it. I will probablly NOT return here to ask another question. Have a great night.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #45

Freightliner Owners Club
CathieS- As you can see here, RV electrical systems can be confusing. The problem I see is that your electrician did not fully explain what changes he made to your system. A 45 amp main AC panel would be unusual.
Some of the replies are a concern your could overload your power cord. Checking that the dogbone is not getting hot is a good check.

If you can look at the main AC power panel, it should have circuit breakers, not fuses. One breaker should be labelled "MAIN" or there may be a drawing of the breaker layout showing which is the main breaker. On the front of the breaker it will show the amperage for that breaker. If it says 30 amps, no major changes were made to your panel.

As "Sailor" said- The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Take care...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathieS

Why wouldn't I honestly tell you what was told to me? I came here asking for help. When I said nobody made me feel dumb, I just retract that statement! I was told he changed from a 30 amp breaker box to a 45 amp. Nothing was changed on the outside of the camper.

Thank you all that answered with helpful information, I appreciate it. I will probablly NOT return here to ask another question. Have a great night.
Cathie, you have apparently mis-read or mis-understood my post. My post was about believing YOU and therefore I have to respond in that way and error on the side of your safety.

Ron and Holligan is saying the "box' is a 45amp 12volt converter/charger that replaced an older 30amp model. NOT the main120volt circuit panel from 30 to 45amp. Two completely different things. A larger converter can only run more 12v items before taking away from the battery.

You have a non-RV electrician talking to a self professed electrical newbie. All I was saying (if you read it again) is this electrician "may' have called the the box by the wrong name. Or, if he gave you 15 minutes of technical informatiom, you could have confused some of it.

As I said, since none of us experience folks were there to hear the conversation and question the electrician, no one here in their right mind would assume the electrician installed a new converter.

Time for me to go too and sorry my information was not helpfull. Good Luck.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote