Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #1

Help please

I'm sure you've heard this before, but I recently bought a 20 ft Coleman Caravan pull behind camper. I'm a travel nurse, and have 2 dogs that travel with me. The first place I parked for an assignment scared the daylights out of me. Telling me I couldn't run electric blankets, or basically any electrical appliance when I wasn't in the camper. I've replaced the electrical boards (hot water system, and breaker box) as they have melted. I'm a bit leary of using my crock pot, george foreman cooker and such. Is it safe to use them? The crock pot I might be asleep or when I'm gone, the george foreman I'd be there and not sleeping. I just had the AC checked so feel comfortable leaving that on when I'm at work, but what about a fan on all night? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
CathieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have 30 amp service and are plugged into 30 amps, I don't see a problem, If you are parked in a campground that is having power problems, I would move. Good luck
Old 06-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why did all those items melt, why did the breaker box melt it must have got really hot to do that was there a wiring issue?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On top of getting those items fixed and figuring out what caused them in the first place, I would strongly reccomend getting a RV Surge Protector. RV Surge Protectors prevent damage from to low a power supply as well as to high a power supply from the Campground. In techincal terms, Over and Under Voltage. You could potentially save yourself mucho dollaro with one of these. I also wouldn't be running the AC with unresolved power questions, very expensive to replace. From what I understand Under Voltage is a major killer of AC's.
RV Surge Protectors, tho pricy, are cheap insurance for the protection they provide.

Good luck, keep us posted.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #5

+1 on the Surge Protector!!!!
In this day and age it is an absolute must. A lot of RV parks were built years ago when the demand on their electrical system was not that high. Now with the ever addition of electrical appliances in the RV's the parks system has not kept up.
Get a Surge Protector!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
CathieS:

GET THAT SURGE PROTECTOR .......NOW!!!........then get the heck outta that campground. Assuming your rig is in order electrically, any place that tells ya not to use electrical appliances has got major issues and doesn't have your interest and safety in mind. It might be an economical site, but it's already cost ya more than finding and staying at a reputable place.

Steve
Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
CathieS:

GET THAT SURGE PROTECTOR .......NOW!!!........then get the heck outta that campground. Assuming your rig is in order electrically, any place that tells ya not to use electrical appliances has got major issues and doesn't have your interest and safety in mind. It might be an economical site, but it's already cost ya more than finding and staying at a reputable place.

Steve
X2!
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
CathieS:

Steve
x3 we were at a campground Thanksgiving through January and wish they would have told us there was a problem with their electricity! What an expensive mess that caused us and how lucky we were that nothing worse happened.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathieS View Post
I'm sure you've heard this before, but I recently bought a 20 ft Coleman Caravan pull behind camper. I'm a travel nurse, and have 2 dogs that travel with me. The first place I parked for an assignment scared the daylights out of me. Telling me I couldn't run electric blankets, or basically any electrical appliance when I wasn't in the camper.
That is pretty scary. I can only echo what other's have said, get a Progressive Industries Smart Surge PROTECTOR 30 Amp - SSP-30 Of course it could be they are just trying to save on an electric bill. Either way, you need a surge protector.

Quote:
I've replaced the electrical boards (hot water system, and breaker box) as they have melted.
This is where I'm a bit confused. Was your camper this way when you bought it, or did this damage happen after? For a breaker box to melt, it was hit pretty hard. It *sounds* like your 120 volt 30amp plug may have been put into a 240 volt outlet. This would cause the damage you describe.

A 120v 30amp plug is used almost exclusively for RVs only. The problem is these plugs will fit right into a 240v outlet designed for 240v stoves, dryers and welders. I don't know if your traveling takes you to peoples homes or non-RV businesses to spend the night, but if they do, any outlet they may have that your plug fits right into, will NOT be a 120v outlet. Campgrounds and RV services centers are the only places that have these. You will at some point encounter only a 15-20amp outlet (standard household outlet). So you should get yourself a 30amp-15 amp adapter....Plug Adapter for RV Power

Quote:
I'm a bit leary of using my crock pot, george foreman cooker and such. Is it safe to use them? The crock pot I might be asleep or when I'm gone, the george foreman I'd be there and not sleeping. I just had the AC checked so feel comfortable leaving that on when I'm at work, but what about a fan on all night? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I would not worry about any of that as long as your camper has been checked out by an electrician very familiar with camper electrical systems.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
That my thought too what happened something had to hit it hard eather mother nature or 240V to do damage like that.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
GET THAT SURGE PROTECTOR .......NOW!!!

Think about your dogs and what would happen if the AC went out when you are away. I have a sign in my window (provided by the Texas Boomers) that says "In case of emergency call..." and my cell phone number is listed. That way if the power went out, you could be contacted.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #12

Thank you everyone. I've had the electrician out and he said there were bare wires that with movement in the camper on the day the wiring behind the breaker box melted caused it. He has gone over the camper system, and checked the AC. He also changed from a 30 amp to 45 amp breaker box. Unfortunately, my brother had the same issue with his and he upgraded to a bigger amp breaker box.

I'm no longer at the campsite that the hot water heater electrical issue was, and that is where they told me not to use any space heater, electric blanket, fan, or other electrical appliances that there had already been one fire there because of an appliance and the camper burned to the ground. Scared me half to death.

Where do I get a surge protector for the camper? And, if it saves me and my girls, no amount of money would be too much.

Thank you again.
CathieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK now we know what happened, now most places like campgrounds are going to have 30amp or 50amp hook ups. Your running a 45 amp box now was any mods done to the end of the electrical cord where you plug in to the pole, if it still has 30 amp plug on it that all the amps you will have to use you won't beable to run 45 amps the pole will trip because it has a 30 amp breaker in it.

Here is that link that was provided eariler
Progressive Industries Smart Surge PROTECTOR 30 Amp - SSP-30
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My last post has a link to a good surge protector. If you won't be any place long enough to receive a package, you can get one at Camping World or other RV store.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote