Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Help please...

if only the butterflies in my stomach were strong enough to carry my rig to my next destination!!!!! Am I the only one with anxiety issues when getting back on the road after an extended stay?
Ok, to the point...leaving Northwest Cali this morning, destination SALT LAKE CITY, UT. I will be driving 101S to CA20-E to Interstate 80E and have two concerns..
1.travel across the Sierra Nevadas and gas stations along my route.
I have tracked weather conditions via CalTrans website and using their live webcams. Road conditions seem to be ok. I have called CalTrans only to be directed to a recording which say there are no restrictions. Can anyone confirm please? I will be travelling across late afternoon or early evening today with my class c. I have all season tires (NEW) but I don't have chains.
2. looking at google maps and google earth this route seems pretty desolate (?) in many places. I do not travel with a GPS, well except for the one on my phone but not counting on cell service anywhere along my trip. Should I be concerned about not being able to find a gas station in any particular area along this route for extended distances?
And THANK YOU, THANK YOU in advance for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have no clue about the route you are taking. but you can google the location of gas stations before you leave. like Gasbuddy.com and map out there locations.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you visit the websites of Chevron...Shell and 76, you can find all their gas stations in a particular state.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

I would take 299 to 44, 36, 395 to Reno and then 80 east. Have a smooth trip.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #5

because?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #6

Less traffic, scenic, and no need to go up and over Donner.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #7

We are in Winters CA, about 20 miles from Sacramento and the weather is great and has been for several days. If Caltrans says the road is clear, then there should be no problems. If on the outside chance there is, there is a Sam's club near the bottom of the hill that allows overnight parking. As far as gasoline, learn to drive on the top half of the tank. Keep it half full and it will give you much more peace of mind.
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just be aware of WIND on 395 especially around the Reno area.
Heavy winds the last few days.

Check out One Stop Shop for Traveler Information
Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

As mentioned, drive on the top 1/2 of your tank. There are plenty of fuel stations on your route as you're traveling the interstate.

If you're usually on interstates, pick up a copy of 'The Next Exit' at a camping store or order online. It's very helpful for interstates.

Use 'Gas Buddy' to find stations along your route.

If the weather is favorable then relax and enjoy the trip! You'll be just fine.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #10

Help please...

Next Exit is also available in app form (IExit) and it much easier to use and has free updates. Works as long as you have cell service. I found searching the book to be very cumbersome. When you open the app, it places you right on your interstate location (Next Exit is only for interstates) and you can see the upcoming exits and what is located at the exit.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #11

Gas should be no problem as long as you always keep the tank half full and then start looking for gas. There are plenty of gas stations along those routes, but if you're one of those who waits until it's a quarter tank or less before you start looking then you may have an issue. I would be more concerned about driving through the Sierra's this time of year as the weather can be iffy and can change quickly. Cal Trans/ CHP can only give you the current road conditions based on the weather at the time you inquire, but they are not weatherman. If it starts snowing, they can/will shut down the roadways quickly, and no matter what type of tires you have I would just recommend pulling off the road and waiting it out rather than trying to drive thru it. I wouldn't get stressed out over it, keep a full tank of gas and a full tank of propane and you can wait out any surprise storm this time of year.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks luckyd.......did not know of this helpful site.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #13

Weather is fine. Don't take 299 - much too winding. 20 is also a lot of curves. Take 101 to 37 to I80. Much easier. Some snow in high country last week but not on highways.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
to cover your Phone GPS needs when out of phone service, download the free android/iPhone app from HERE Maps. You can download maps to your phone or tablet and use them when you have no cell coverage. Something like 90+% of in dash GPS use the HERE/Navteq maps database.