Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Help Registering In Arizona (recent purchase from private seller)

Hey All!
Excited to be a part of this community and sharing what I know and learning from you all. I'm brand new here.

1. Recently purchased 36 foot Class A.
2. Seller was in California.
3. I have lived in CA last 10 years but now have a place in Glendale, Arizona.
I have Arizona mailing address, but I still have CA Drivers License. I'm now going to be a full timer, but will have my mail go to my AZ address (grandma's house).

I want to register RV in Arizona so that I don't have to pay super high sales tax in CA.

Any insight on what I need to do to register my new baby?
Can I bring proof of insurance, title transfer, bill of sale, and my checkbook to DMV in Arizona and register my RV?

Or what do I need to bring? And are there any issues that your foresee?

Thanks in advance!
~ Sol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

My guess is you will have to have proof of residency, Airz Insurance, and a Ariz drivers license. Call Sec of state to be sure you have ALL documents they require or google it

Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Sooooo, are you thinking of getting residence in a state like SD when you go F/T?

The AZ annual tax on your MH may be quite thrilling. ;-)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maricopa County requires smog inspection and with out of state vehicle you will have to bring the MH to DMV for VIN inspection. Arizona will bend you over on license fees. If you are going to full time I would suggest South Dakota.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Thank you all for your replies. Maybe SD IS the way to go. I will look into that. Hopefully I don't need to take my RV all the way over there in order to Register it!

And hopefully they do not have sales tax either.

I will start on research about SD.

Thank you all so much. Still weighing options.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies. Maybe SD IS the way to go. I will look into that. Hopefully I don't need to take my RV all the way over there in order to Register it!
No, you do not have to take it there to register it. Any mail service you choose will be able to do it for you at a reasonable cost.

And hopefully they do not have sales tax either.
Yes, there will be sales tax but much less that AZ. You will be charged 3% sales tax in SD

Thank you all so much. Still weighing options.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysol View Post

Here's 2 blog entries (from November 2012) that I found that were helpful ...

Setting up South Dakota Residency for RVers, Part 1 (DMV stuff is in this one)
Setting up South Dakota Residency for RVers, Part 2
Old 12-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #8

We purchased a used MH from a dealer in California and since we have 'no sales tax' in Alaska we did the closing paperwork in Nevada. I had already done the DMV stuff in Alaska before we left so that was not an issue. Alaska issued us a temp sticker and we just completed the rest of the paper work when we got back to Alaska.
I am not sure how you would get around this when buying from a private party. Good luck.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

You must actually go to South Dakota and have proof that you spent a night in state to get driver's license. South Dakota requires lots of documentation to get a drivers license now with Homeland Security requirements. You do not have to take your RV, just stay in a hotel. Make sure you have all the proper documentation before you go.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #10

In AZ my Class A costs $10 per year for tax and $8 for tags. Less if you get a 5 year tag.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I chose Texas as a domicile when we went full time but I have since purchased a stick home in Arizona where we spend a lot of time.

Although I still have a Texas DL, I have purchased, registered and insured a new auto and golf cart in Az with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
In AZ my Class A costs $10 per year for tax and $8 for tags. Less if you get a 5 year tag.
After a rig is 26 years old I'm sure their tax schedules are very kind, but they hit newer DPs pretty hard.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Arrow

When you purchase a vehicle from a private party, you PAY NO SALES TAX IN AZ.... Period.... End of Story.....

Here's where you go to get the straight scoop instead of multiple versions of AZ registration practices and fees: Motor Vehicle Services

Also, unlike most states I've lived in, the AZ MVD people have always been very helpful when I had to deal with them, so I'd not hesitate to call and ask them about anything you're unsure about. You may want to ultimately go with SD, but it's probably worth your time to get your MH registered in AZ. I pay no annual tax on my DP, except for the tag/registration fee. The MVD is the only source to quote the amount of these fees.
Good Luck..!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #13

Like Ken said, check with the AZ MVD. I had thought about a new coach purchased in AZ and registering it here too, as we have a home here and are here 6 months. I found that the license was based on the value of the MH. Would have cost over $2000 at the time vs $120 in WI where our other home and legal residence is. It wasn't a hard decision for me.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
The biggest problem with registering in Az. is the price of insurance. I just regestered a 97 jeep in Az. and the insurance for liability insurance cost me over 4 times as much as my home. The registration was very painless as I bought from a private individual and no sales tax or inspecion had to be done. It cost me only $37.00 to register the jeep in Az. I couldn't take the jeep home and get it inspected so I had no choice if I wanted the jeep.

Tags
purchase