Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Help! The bugs got me! Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Well, maybe I exaggerated a little bit, the bugs didn't get me, they got my RV! We pulled the 5er from Columbus, MS to Slidell, LA last friday. When we pulled in I noticed that the front was covered with black bugs. The CG does not allow RV washing at the site, so I decided to wait until we got home to remove them. BIG MISTAKE! Today I got out my equipment to remove the bugs. They refused to move! I tried everything I know, including Bug & Tar Remover, Black Stain Remover, Awesome, and Fantastic. All of them would remove the bulk of the bug, but the stain was still there. No amount of scrubbing with one of the "bug sponges" would remove the stains. Has anyone found anything that will remove these stains? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had good luck with the Rainex tar and bug remover, it seems to penetrate better than the other tar and bug removers I've used.

2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 35' Ford Chassis
Benny367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Sounds like you encountered the dreaded love bugs. Can't give you any advice on removing them, but you have my sympathy!

1998 Alumascape 30RLS FW
LibbyLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Try WD-40, or spray some brake cleaner on a clean cloth and try it sparingly, the windshield replacement guy was using the orange hand cleaner to take the black sealer off that the last guy left on, so it may work as well.
We all get heavier as we get older,
because there's a lot more information in our heads..
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Try Hydrogen Peroxide... if that don't work, hammer & chisel.
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would try a cheap product that I use on big truck. Its called AWESOME you can buy it just about anyplace now. This stuff is just what it says on label. Just spray it on the front of your rig when washing, keep it wet and let soak 15 mins or so. I then use a soft brush to brush off. Best thing I have found for bugs in 35 yrs on the road truckin. I use on headlights, chrome bumper etc. Does not harm paint. Good luck!
Amateur Radio Op/Crappie Fishin Fool
1991 Cross Country Sportscoach 32 ft. Homebase Indiana
bigdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
We got hit with the love bugs on our way home from Florida this spring. What a mess! Fortunately the campground allowed us to wash the front of the motorhome. The CG owner said he sees it all the time when people from Florida pull in on their way north. Reading the info about the bugs clogging the radiator fins made me wonder if they could have gotten into our a/c units on the roof. Guess we'll have to pull the covers and check.

Found this on the University of Florida IFAS Extension website.
"Lovebugs are a considerable nuisance to motorists. They congregate in unbelievable numbers along highways and the insects spatter on the windshields and grills of moving trucks and automobiles. Windshields become covered with the fatty remains, and vision is obscured. During flights, the flies clog radiator fins causing cars to overheat. They also get into refrigeration equipment on trucks causing them to malfunction. The fatty tissue will cause pitting of the car's finish if it is not removed within a few days. Flies enter cars and sometimes drivers and passengers soil their clothing by sitting on lovebugs. They are also a considerable nuisance to fresh paint. The flies enter houses under construction in such numbers that carpenters refuse to work. Beekeepers complain because worker bees do not visit flowers that have been infested with the flies."

This from eHow.com might help also.
Tips on Cleaning Love Bugs Off You Car | eHow.com
2013 RoadTrek CS Adventurous
jillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wet dryer sheets take them off very well, particularly where the surface was prepared with wax or RainX before the trip.

Still a pain in the neck n
Bill Burgner, '05 Journey, 350 CAT
'05 Wrangler LJR, Blue Ox Aventa, Air Force One
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
I use the bug washer fluid to take off the bugs....soak the area for a few minutes and then use a nylon type sponge to clean the area. Works for me...
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Wet Bounce dryer sheets will take them off. Now, after you clean it use a polymer product called Rejex and they will never ever stick again. They will just easily wipe off with a cloth. You can find it at True Value Hardware. Very easy to apply, wipe on and wipe off and lasts for about 6 months. Fairly inexpensive when you consider that a little bit goes a very long way and the elbow grease you will save in the end.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The dryer sheets simply emulate a very fine sand paper... The best way would prolly be rubbing compound followed by a good polish then wax..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Damon Owners Club
We live in Florida and come in contact with love bugs 2 time a year. Wet dryer sheets will take them off. And it won't kill your arm.
Mark & Joanne
Shanny our Golden & Little Pudd our Cat.
05 Intruder 391 22 Workhorse 8.1 Vortec
gotago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
We just pulled into Lake Charles Louisanna coming from Texas on I-10. I think I got everyone one of them little bugs. The campground owner suggested that I clean them off my motor home before they set up. I got my "Mean Green" out and a bucket of water and got after it. I sprayed the Mean Green on and let it set for a minute or two and then use a wet nylon scrubber on them. Then I rinse with water and they're gone with very little work......
Want to know what we're up to? Check out our website at My Trip Journal http://mytripjournal.com/11246
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rub it down with dryer sheets (cheap generic) and a bucket of water. You need to get them off, they can harm the finish.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote