Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Help with a decision?

I have RV'd for a decade now. I want to travel more and further than a two or three week trip. My dilemma is that I own a high maintenance home. It is on six acres and requires some attention. My wife and I, no little kids, have gone on three week trips and although I have the lawn cut, the property looked like it was abandoned when we returned.

What have you done to accommodate longer trips and keep your homestead? I have no relatives I can depend on to do any house sitting or even checkups. Does a property management system work? Is it expensive? I trust no one. Are they trust worthy? Mullica Hill NJ.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

Hire it out

I recommend interviewing maintenance companies and hiring one to do yard maintenance and check on your home. We live in a townhome and depend on association hired vendors to do all the outside work. We turn off the water when we leave for long trips. We have a security system and neighbors who pick up our mail. Set things up so you can leave when you want and not have to worry.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #3

I pay a neighbor to mow when we're gone on long trips. I even have him plow the drive when we're gone in the winter to myself it look like someone there.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

if you TRUST NO ONE, then, NO, you'll not find anybody other than yourself to handle it properly. You'll just be aggravated, annoyed, and probably very dissatisfied when you return.
Just leave it be until you return.

I would have more concern having strangers on my property while I'm away versus coming home to 'work' that was not done while gone. (my neighbors may have something to say about that, unless my property is on 6 acres and not readily seen from the street!)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Have you ever thought of going full-time and getting rid of it all? It's an extremely relaxing, carefree lifestyle.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #6

We hire most of our year care all the time which does not clue someone into our being gone. Still we need someone to check on the house esp. since we live in a wooded area. (Looking for trees that fell, roof damage, checking plumbing, etc.) Plus there is the issue of the mail. We have an alarm system for the house and that helps but not sure how we would take care of a few things if not for local family we trust.

I suppose you could turn water off to house, have a good alarm system, and perhaps some outside cameras pointed at house to watch for damage from storms or vandals. Then add in a yard care service. Still you have to do something with the mail. Either have it held or forwarded somehow.

Tom
Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Have you ever thought of going full-time and getting rid of it all? It's an extremely relaxing, carefree lifestyle.
I second that notion! No grass to mow, no snow to shovel, no real estate taxes or home insurance to pay.

Maybe it's time to downsize? Sell the big house and leave the worries to someone else. Store the things you love, divest yourself of the clutter. You can invest your profits so that when you are done traveling you can buy an easier to manage place.

When you travel via RV you are everybody's favorite houseguest because you bring your own house. If you have friends and family with homes that can accommodate your RV, add hook ups. My RV is my mother-in-law house 4-5 months per year. Then I head south for the winter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you get someone to mow the yard while you're gone, there's no need to tell them that you're gone. Simply tell them that you both work during the day and won't be there when they are mowing.
There's no sense in advertising to strangers that your house will be empty for x weeks.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have arranged for my landscaper to take extra steps in keeping my property looking "lived in". It always looks great when I get home.

I have a trustworthy neighbor who checks the house and on occasion tends to things while we're away.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I would hire a lawn service company to maintain the yard. Keep timers on some of the lights in house to keep it "lived" in and enjoy my trip

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #11

Left our Florida Beach House on April 28th. Now in Seattle with our RV. Prior to leaving we suspended our City water service, our internet service, and our garbage service. We have our local landscaper stop by after storms and now when needed. He also calls us if he thinks he should install storm panels on all of the glass if a hurricane threatens. Will be returning in October and start service a couple days before we arrive. Plan to continue this until health does not allow the drive back and forth across the US.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:48 AM   #12

Mow. Not now
Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We removed the grass and installed low water low maintenance vegetation. Decommissioned the swimming pool. Installed security system with remotely viewable cameras inside and out. Have a service that comes once a month to chase any weeds that pop up.

It's really nice being able to view the property via the cameras.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote