Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Help with a slide issue

I have a 2005 Ducthmen FourWinds 35r super c. The slide out works fine goes out, goes in, rides fine while driving. Once parked the bottom will settle about and inch or so away from the body. When I'm using it an bring it all the way in it pulls in tight. I don't notice anything leaking anywhere? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not clear on the problem description. "When parked", are we talking slide in or out? And could you elaborate on "settle an inch or so away"? Does that mean it moves in or out an inch, or does it actually drop down ("settle") an inch?

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
I have a 2005 Ducthmen FourWinds 35r super c. The slide out works fine goes out, goes in, rides fine while driving. Once parked the bottom will settle about and inch or so away from the body. When I'm using it an bring it all the way in it pulls in tight. I don't notice anything leaking anywhere? Thanks!
Is this a hydraulic operated slide? If so it sounds like it is losing pressure somewhere and then it is letting the bottom inch out away from the body. Not sure why it would be cocked like this if this is actually what is happening. Got any pics of how it looks?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #4

I will take some pictures today. It is hydraulic operated. The top part of the slide can not move when the slide is in as there are two arms that lock the slide when the slide is in.

For clarification, when the slide is in, not being used. The bottom of the slide will move away from the bottom about an inch. I will take some pictures. It is almost like it is losing hydraulic pressure but I do not see any leaks anywhere and the fluid level is good.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Each slide has two solenoids, one for extension the other to retract. Sounds like one is leaking internally allowing the slide to creep out. You can try to hold the button down for a few seconds after full extension and see if that helps, might be air in the line. Otherwise, replacing one or both of the solenoids is needed. There also might be a leaky O-ring in one of the ram units. We just replaced two solenoids on ours because of a creeping slide.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Each slide has two solenoids, one for extension the other to retract. Sounds like one is leaking internally allowing the slide to creep out. You can try to hold the button down for a few seconds after full extension and see if that helps, might be air in the line. Otherwise, replacing one or both of the solenoids is needed. There also might be a leaky O-ring in one of the ram units. We just replaced two solenoids on ours because of a creeping slide.
Did you do the solenoids or did you have a shop do it? Just wondering on cost and difficulty. Also are the o rings serviceable or does that require a shop. Thank you!!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

Had a shop do it. They recommend replacing them as a pair but I've also heard that wasn't necessary. I think the cost was about $200 each! I don't think it would be difficult, just messy. We were there for other issues and we full time so I don't have a place to handle an oily repair. I can't help on the o-ring, just read another post somewhere.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Had a shop do it. They recommend replacing them as a pair but I've also heard that wasn't necessary. I think the cost was about $200 each! I don't think it would be difficult, just messy. We were there for other issues and we full time so I don't have a place to handle an oily repair. I can't help on the o-ring, just read another post somewhere.

I read an article on RV.net about the same thing. Replacing both solenoids as a pair and the o ring. Most seemed to state that the extend solenoid was the cure for the problem I'm having, maybe the o ring too.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #9

One thing to mention is which may point to a solenoid is that my leveling jacks do not move at all when sitting, only the slide. If there was a leak or pump issue I would think the jacks would move as well?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
One thing to mention is which may point to a solenoid is that my leveling jacks do not move at all when sitting, only the slide. If there was a leak or pump issue I would think the jacks would move as well?
Your jacks are held retracted by the springs, so a leaky solenoid for a jack would only show up when you are camping and have the jacks extended.

I wonder why you have locking arms? Mine does not, and the HWH system keeps the retract pressurized as a way to keep the slides "Locked". If yours are the same, I am curious why they would also add mechanical locks. Just curious.

Dan
Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Your jacks are held retracted by the springs, so a leaky solenoid for a jack would only show up when you are camping and have the jacks extended.

I wonder why you have locking arms? Mine does not, and the HWH system keeps the retract pressurized as a way to keep the slides "Locked". If yours are the same, I am curious why they would also add mechanical locks. Just curious.

Dan

I'm thinking a leaking solenoid for the slide. I wish the locks were top and bottom not just top. I do think mine is the lippert system but I have not researched it yet.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #12

I'm incorrect after looking at my system it is a hwh hydraulic slide and leveler.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #13

On these solenoids there is only one rubber o ring it is on the end you insert into the block, cost is about 5 cents at a hyd. shop and from what they told me it is the culprit 90% of the time for creeping slides.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I'm incorrect after looking at my system it is a hwh hydraulic slide and leveler.
All the slide and jack cylinders have their own solenoid which isolates them from the pump.
When the system is off, there should still be presure holding the cylinders in place.

I also agree that it is probably a leaky solenoid.
See if you can get a nitrile O-ring. Something that lasts longer than rubber.

You can buy an assortment at Harbor Freight....might contain the correct size .

Regards,

Dan

Tags
slide