Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Help with dealer selling my trade in before I have received my coach that was ordered

Has anyone experienced this before.?
I ordered a new motorhome from a dealer and I agreed to allow the dealer to take early possession of my trade in that had no lien. The dealer has sold the motorhome I traded and the dealer now wants the title on the late model trade in before I have the papers on my coach on order. There was no agreement before the dealer picked up the coach and it did sell fast and I do owe the dealer on the difference of the trade.
I am prepaying a large amount of money before papers are signed and I have possession of my new coach and I feel uncomfortable sending the title but it has already been about 4 weeks since my trade in was sold
This is a large dealer but there should been disclosure to me before this came up
Has anyone out there experienced this before and if so did you give the dealer your title?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

Ouch! That would be a huge risk on your part. If the dealer bellied up in the meantime you would be an unsecured creditor and really out of luck.. My suggestion would be that the funds from the sale be placed into an escrow account with either the trust department of a bank or an attorney you trust, if you can find one. If you give them the title and there is any problem with the delivery or the new coach you are not in a good position.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

Escrow! His contract is only as good as the paper it isn't written on.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I'll share my experience. I ordered my new MH in Sept 2013. It is now going on May 2104 and I still don't have it. It was delivered two months ago, refused and sent back to the factory. I wish I had not sold my old MH, I would be driving it now instead of still waiting for my new one.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #5

Help with dealer selling my trade in before I have received my coach that was...

I say have them give you in cash the same amount they allowed you for the trade minus a deposit amount for the new coach you ordered. When the new coach comes in, you can pay them for it then. Be the same as if they purchased your coach outright and then you ordered a new one. After all they are now holding your money for free and their advantage I believe. Not that money is not worth much in interest now days, but you are still at risk of losing it...just a suggestion.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
When the dealer sold my coach there was a late model motorhome taken in on trade
Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

Obviously a good lesson for others thinking of turning over posession on their trade in "before" there coach arrives. You did state that you agreed to allow the dealer to take possession of your trade in. I am pretty confident the dealer did not agree to not sell your trade in, and pretty confident you did not think they would sell it that quickly. Stuff happens and unles somewhere within your contract agreement you could withhold the title of your trade in until your coach arrives, you are stuck with providing it to them.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Obviously a good lesson for others thinking of turning over posession on their trade in "before" there coach arrives. You did state that you agreed to allow the dealer to take possession of your trade in. I am pretty confident the dealer did not agree to not sell your trade in, and pretty confident you did not think they would sell it that quickly. Stuff happens and unles somewhere within your contract agreement you could withhold the title of your trade in until your coach arrives, you are stuck with providing it to them.
Beside giving the dealer the title I also paid a $5000 deposit at the date of agreement
Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03 View Post
Beside giving the dealer the title I also paid a $5000 deposit at the date of agreement
The problem is that there was no agreement presented to me about providing the title if the trade in was sold
I should have thought ahead but was just trying to get more allowance on my trade so giving it to them early did away with any changes in book value and I was not going to use my coach anyway
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03
The problem is that there was no agreement presented to me about providing the title if the trade in was sold I should have thought ahead but was just trying to get more allowance on my trade so giving it to them early did away with any changes in book value and I was not going to use my coach anyway

It was your expectation that your Dealer would provide you with free storage of your MH and also absorb the ongoing depreciation while you waited for your new MH to arrive. Why was this your expectation?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I see your point but my point is that I could have ordered a new motorhome with a $1000 deposit and paid the rest at delivery if I did not have a trade
This way I am paying a $270,000 deposit and my motorhome will be delivered the third week of June
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
I say have them give you in cash the same amount they allowed you for the trade minus a deposit amount for the new coach you ordered. When the new coach comes in, you can pay them for it then. Be the same as if they purchased your coach outright and then you ordered a new one. After all they are now holding your money for free and their advantage I believe. Not that money is not worth much in interest now days, but you are still at risk of losing it...just a suggestion.

The one difficulty of going this route is that you may then be on the line for the total sales tax on your new rig rather than the trade difference. This may be the best way to protect yourself, but it may also be costly from a sales tax perspective depending on the state in which you will purchase and register the new unit.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The one difficulty of going this route is that you may then be on the line for the total sales tax on your new rig rather than the trade difference. This may be the best way to protect yourself, but it may also be costly from a sales tax perspective depending on the state in which you will purchase and register the new unit.

Good point! Didn't think of that. Sounds like there is no easy fix.

Randy W
Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #14

Well not true as the dealer sold the vehicle not you, therefore you will only be responseable for the difference for sales tax.

Tags
dealer