Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2006, 04:59 AM   #1

Very close to making a decision on whether to develop a RV park on a lake or not. Would like any input you might offer. Deeded lots, rental or both? Thinking 50' drive thru pads on maybe 50X100' lots. Club house, pool, tennis? Size restrictions? Boat docks. Open year round. Paved roads. The lake is the largest man made in US and has over 1200 miles of shore line. Very mild winters, boating year round. Does this sound like something Rv people would be interested in? I would like your ideas, what you like in a park and what you don't. Have 300 acres to work with and 1500 feet of shore line.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2006, 04:59 AM   #2

Very close to making a decision on whether to develop a RV park on a lake or not. Would like any input you might offer. Deeded lots, rental or both? Thinking 50' drive thru pads on maybe 50X100' lots. Club house, pool, tennis? Size restrictions? Boat docks. Open year round. Paved roads. The lake is the largest man made in US and has over 1200 miles of shore line. Very mild winters, boating year round. Does this sound like something Rv people would be interested in? I would like your ideas, what you like in a park and what you don't. Have 300 acres to work with and 1500 feet of shore line.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #3

I would extend the drive through to be more like 70-80' in length. My fiver alone is 40' and then add the crewcab truck I'm at 60'. Class A's would be in the same boat pulling a toad. I like having paved roads on the interior, but I kind of like small pea gravel for back in sites so that the ground has some give when the the trailer tires are twisting when you back in. If it is in a state that allows doubles make sure you have room for boat trailers to be stored if campers bring their toys. If you could have maybe a few high end sites with concrete patios, private dock at the bottom of the campsite now that would be different. ( I don't own a boat, just thinking broadly)

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First if it was not suggested when you were greeted, it's good to put info about yourself, rv, location in your "signature"

Being an arch designer/ builder/ community planner I'd be happy to input some ideas for you. Example: I've plans in file for the conversion of a 774 ac farm on the North Sea coast to a recreational/residential/resort community. This included an airstrip, hotel, golf courses, trout fishing, equestrian, pheasant shoot, etc.

Your member name is ozark so I'm guessing you're in that area. Pls be more specific because it's important to know where you might expect to draw your income from. While you may enjoy good annual climate, tourism is still very much seasonal. So the development planning, unless you've capital coming out your wazoo, should begin with a cash flow analysis and costings on the part of your development plan that will yield the best return on investment. Ongoing expansion of both the analysis and costs of the next phase is the process. The services of a general real estate appraiser would be the best way for you to go if you are not experienced in development yourself. You are on the correct path just now in defining "what you what to build"

The 1st question you will be asked by the planning and permit depts is if you own the land. If not, the answers to your questions will be ambiguous at best. There is much more I'd be happy to share with you when you've decided to progress.

You might do a good look around the net as there are some very good multi-use developments showing plot plans. One in the Kansas City area is 300 ac. Here is the link http://www.lakeparadiseresort.com/
just went to this and unfortunately there is no plat map. Try mailing them for a brochure. The one I have has it all.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Condo resort with deeded sites to owners. You make $s from site sales and a continued revenue stream from managing the resort (monthly maintenance fees +++). Concrete pad and patio and paved roads are a must. Outdoor Resorts has a model that has proven successful. Consider looking at their web site and maybe visiting one of their locations (not the Orlando, Florida location). The concrete on their sites is a bit narrow but other than that they seem to have what the high end coach owner wants. All the other ammeneties are standard. There needs to be a rental program so the resort is full, most of the time. To make your resort stand out, determine what is unique about the area the resort is located in and market it for all you can.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #6

I'd wait for a year or so and see where RV'ing goes.

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #7

Gary, I looked at an "own your site" park in Destin in the Panhandle area of Florida.
There where several being built at that time.

Going price For: All concrete parking slab
and patio, concrete patio furniture, basic lanscaping and up-keep, club House and pool,
in a gated community was ......... Ta-da .....
$48,000.00, with a mainenace fee of $100.00 pm.

Not "ON THE BEACH", but about 2 blocks from.

Very nicely done ..... Up-scale ... yes !!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary my previous post was about what i found in Destin, I have seen others ,in various areas of florida, advertised, but have not visited them.

Personally I would not invest in a property of this type. I am not trying to "Rain on your parade" or be a Smart A**. I'm 70 years old and been around the block a few times.

I bought an RV to TRAVEL !!! there are so many great places in this country of ours to see and visit. Hopefully my next long trip next spring is to Alaska.
I love to travel and meet people. so I don't think I would invest in a permanent spot.

Now this is only my opinion, and I wish you nothing but success.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:08 AM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions. What do you think of RV Port Homes? Yes Gary
we would promote the Lake. It's Lake of the Ozarks and one of the top retirement destinations in the US.

http://www.funlake.com/