Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

help with heater

ok not sure if this is the correct place for this question. i am spending the winter in a 1978 holidare 5th wheel. It has a coleman mach el rv series air/heat unit but i dont know how to use the heat. i need to find out if it needs propane and if it does where is the pilot light

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

A roof top unit from that era would have electric heat strips:

Coleman AC Mach 1-3 EL Operation: 1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Owners Manuals: RV AC operation & maintenace instructions manual

Coleman AC Mach 1-3 EL Installation: 1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Owners Manuals: RV Air Conditioners Coleman Mach 1 & 3- March 1EL & 3 EL

Coleman AC Service Manual: 1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Owners Manuals: Coleman roof ac service Mechanical Control manual

Are you sure the rig does not have a furnace? See if you can find a furnace exhaust port on the outside of the rig.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #3

It may not have the heat stips installed. The dials have all selections marked ( heat, cool,etc) but the actual heaters were optional kits.
Art.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

the previous user told the rv park owner that he used the heater. guess i will try to reach him. some heat comes out of ceiling vent for about 20 min, then cool air. do u know if it should have a pilot light somewhere. or where i might find old school user guides
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #5

The ceiling unit would be self contained. Typically there is a seperate furnace at floor level. It would be operated from a standard wall thermostat. You need to find the furnace determine the brand/model then people can help you better.

Dave

I typical RV Furnace exhaust vent on the outside of the rig looks like this

One port is intake, the other exhaust for the burner chamber.
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

ok thank you
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidernjaz2 View Post
the previous user told the rv park owner that he used the heater. guess i will try to reach him. some heat comes out of ceiling vent for about 20 min, then cool air. do u know if it should have a pilot light somewhere. or where i might find old school user guides
The coleman is an electric unit- it won't have a pilot light.

Francesca

Edit add:
Here's an interior shot of a 1978 Holidaire bumper pull trailer.
Under the fridge is the gas heater- in this case it's a Hydroflame.
The ad I got this pic from is at http://ebrandon.ca/itemview.aspx?ite...246&cat_id=114
Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As the others have said, the roof unit is electric and does not use propane or a pilot light. However, there will also be a furnace down near floor level that does use propane and, in that vintage, almost surely has a pilot light. It may look something like this:

Atwood Everest Star 7900 II Furnace, 12,000 BTUs

In that era, there is probably no wall thermostat and the pilot light will be behind the metal grill on the front of the furnace. If you can identify the make and model of the furnace, we can help you with lighting instructions and probably even find an owner manual online.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater