RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Help With Trip to the Black Hills and Custer SP

Renting a Class C motor home (12' high) in Rapid City SD, and visiting the Black Hills area, staying in Custer State Park. I noticed several low tunnels in the area of Mt Rushmore and am concerned about navigating in an area with potential tunnels. The ones I see are 12'-9" down to 10'-7" with several around 12'. I can avoid the ones I know about but how can I be sure when using a GPS or google maps in the area , I won't run into any unmarked tunnels, some of the roads are pretty rural. For such a popular vacation destination for campers and RV's, there must be a solution to address my concern.

Any tips or words from experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

There are two locations that have tunnels in Custer park and you do not have to pass through any of them. I suspect that you are thinking of the two that lead into Keystone. Those two tunnels each point directly to Mt. Rushmore and frame the view of it as you pass through them. The road is 16a and called Iron Mountain road. The other road of interest is the road through the Needles Eye and it is the smaller and I would not take an RV though it as it can be quite challenging but you really need to travel both roads if at all possible. You can get specific information about each road from this link.

SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
http://www.sddot.com/pnsb/PNSBTunnelMap.pdf

that’s a map of the tunnels. be sure you know the height of your rental. the lowest tunnel is the hood tunnel on 87 near sylvan lake. all other tunnels are at least 12’ high. unless your rental is no bigger than a full size passenger van. you should stay off the ‘needles highway’ altogether.

from rapid city follow US 16 to US385 at hill city and then on to the town of custer. then follow 16a into the park. in which campground are you staying?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We’re staying at Grace Coolidge Campground. Are these the one low clearance locations in the park ?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

We were there last summer. Didn't haul our trailer through the park or roads, but from what I remember the roads can be twisty and turny, some of the tunnels are only wide enough for 1 car at a time, no 2 way traffic. This is a picture I took of the Needles Eye Tunnel after we had passed through it and gone to the parking area a short distance away. Are you taking a toad? I would suggest you have something other than the RV for getting around the area. In answer to your question about any tunnels while getting to your campground, it does not look like it when comparing the map that rk911 sent you and Google maps. I have not tried the Mountain Directory book/app, but have good things. If I were doing this I would measure the highest point on the rental myself, not take someone's word for it, and really study your route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	211874  
Old 07-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
We’re staying at Grace Coolidge Campground. Are these the one low clearance locations in the park ?
the map i attached shows all of the tunnels. you'll not encounter any tunnels between Rapid City and your campground if you use the route i suggested.

i second the notion of having an additional car to get around the park. there are several car rental agencies in and around the town of custer. i suggested you stay off the Needles Highway because of negotiating the switchbacks in your RV.

you'll be able to negotiate most of the roads in the park in your RV. we did so back in the day in a 26' class a MH. but it will be much, much easier negotiating the roads and parking in a car or SUV and you'll have a more enjoyable stay.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Use your toad.
Needles highway is narrow, twisty and the tunnel though spectacular are very narrow and low overhead.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

I have been to the Black Hill many times. In fact, it is absolutely one of my favorite places to be.

My recommendation....bring or rent a car/jeep. You can go many places in an RV, but even many of the roads without tunnels will have very sharp curves and narrow roads. I would never go relying only on an RV as the only source of getting around. On the mountain roads, there will probably be small pull-off areas where you'll want to stop quickly and take in the absolutely fantastic views or wildlife. Much, much easier in a car.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #9

Talking

If you are not a motorcyclist I would probably not visit during the rally at Sturgis the first week of August this year. Campgrounds have been booked for months and everywhere is busy. If you do attend during this time just look for me - I’l be the one in the black t shirt!
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2018 - Concerts, Music Festival

Getting space at this time could be difficult, if not impossible.

500,000 riders will be there.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is the list and sizes of the tunnels, and are on two different roads! 16A (Iron Mountain Rd.) and 87 (Needles Hwy.)! You can click on the pic's to enlarge them! Rail!

Name:	thumbnail Black Hills tunnels.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	211896

Name:	thumbnail Roads around Custer Showing where the tunnels are!.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	211897
Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #12

Thanks for the info about tunnels and the accompanying tunnel map. We are planning on making that trip someday and this is a great piece of information to have. I printed the map and it will go into our files.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
To all:
I found a website that lists all bridges and tunnels in the entire state. Route #, mile marker, clearance etc.
http://sdtruckinfo.com/docs/Vertical_Clear_List.pdf
Thanks for your input.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #14

I volunteered at Custer State Park (CSP) for 3 summers (2014, 2015, 2016). The only tunnels are on Needles Highway (part of Hwy 87) and Iron Mountain Rd (part of Hwy 16 A). Grace Coolege Campground is right in the middle of CSP. Coming from Rapid City I would take Hwy 79 to the East entrance of the park and avoid all the traffic going thru Keystone and Hill City. I would not recommend taking any RV thru any of the tunnels at all.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote