Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
UUU

Hi! Data-driven person trying to decide on first RV

Hi! I'm excited to start participating here. I've been researching RVs for several months while trying to decide what my first RV should be. Clever person that I am, I've been trying to do it without any help...

The biggest issue I'm encountering is that I can never find enough details. With such an expensive purchase, I'd like to know everything possible about the RV so I can decide which one is the best fit for my needs and best value for my dollar. However, I'm rarely able to find more than a few bullet points on a sales listing. Calling dealers and manufacturers has never resulted in anything but broken promises ("yeah, I'll go measure the width of the door for you"...never responds).

In addition to not being able to find specifics about a given model, I never know if I'm even looking at all the models that fit my general needs. Maybe there's a specific RV model out there that has every single thing I'm looking for, but I have no way of knowing unless I stumble across it in the depths of Craig's List.

So, if anyone knows of a fairly comprehensive RV database that I can dig through, I would really appreciate it. If there's a better subforum on this site for me to ask this type of question, please let me know.

Thank you! Looking forward to participating, and hopefully contributing once I get my bearings!
UUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You didn't post what your needs are.
For Full Time use? Just a few weekends and 1-2 weeks vacation?

Have you narrowed it down to one of these?
Class B-C-A gas or Diesel?
TT?
5th wheel?
Pop Up?

Price range?
under 10K
under 50K
under 100k
under 200k
under 500k
under 1,000,000
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I was/am the same way, research everything possible. BUT....you have to get out and see them in person. Go rent, walk-thru, see, test drive...etc. Get to a few RV shows and dealers. We narrowed by budget, floorplan, brand, local service and representation. Then started really digging on details. Googled photos, specs, and owners manuals. Dug through selling websites (rvt.com) & dealer websites to get pics and other details. Went to a several RV shows, and rented 3 times. When it came time to buy it was easy. We definitely found that what looks good on web sites and spec sheets doesn't always translate to the rig itself.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

...some times experiences like buying and owning an RV are supposed to be what your heart desires and not what your head thinks. So don't let perfect become the enemy of the good .....go find a rig you "think" you would like....[smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...some times experiences like buying and owning an RV are supposed to be what your heart desires and not what your head thinks. So don't let perfect become the enemy of the good .....go find a rig you "think" you would like....[smile]
AND BUY USED for your first one..discovering that it isn't what you want & need takes a few trips and then you are not up to your ears in debt for something that does not work for you.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Good luck with your search.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Welcome to iRV2.

Most RV owners will tell you they had 3 before they got the one.
I'm on #5 and am sticking with it.
I'd say shop in person on RV lots , tell the salesmen your " Just kicking tires" and take notes on things you'd like in your RV. Carry a tape measure and a clip board; I found that scares a lot of salesmen off.
Set up a must have and a would be nice; list to help narrow the search.

Good Luck.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I am probably going to alienate some folks with my comments. We are fairly new to the motorhome community and have come to the conclusion that we did not do enough research and/or looking when we made our first purchase. We knew we wanted to start traveling in a motorhome since we had traveled for over 35 years by car and air. Not being wealthy, we set our sights too low and felt like we could not afford a new diesel. Wife wanted a "new unit" and we eventually ended up with a very nice, well built gas model. After three years we have learned that our unit is absolutely perfect for us except for the lack of power and the extremely loud noise from the engine in any hilly situations.
Bottom line, we have been searching for well over a year for a late model used diesel pusher for more power and less noise in the cockpit.

Lesson learned--do your homework. Wish we had done mor.
Harjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
I was/am the same way, research everything possible. BUT....you have to get out and see them in person. Go rent, walk-thru, see, test drive...etc. Get to a few RV shows and dealers. We narrowed by budget, floorplan, brand, local service and representation. Then started really digging on details. Googled photos, specs, and owners manuals. Dug through selling websites (rvt.com) & dealer websites to get pics and other details. Went to a several RV shows, and rented 3 times. When it came time to buy it was easy. We definitely found that what looks good on web sites and spec sheets doesn't always translate to the rig itself.
Yes. All the data is great but I'd recommend walking thru many RVs and deciding what features and floorplan works for you. Features you can toy with, but FLOORPLAN is key! In our first motorhome we learned that a back kitchen didn't work for us, that we valued a good sized bathroom, and didn't want to climb a ladder to go to bed . This led us to happiness in our 2nd RV. I hope you find just the RV for you.
2016Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Commercial Member

my advise is to get off the computer and go to the lots. do your own measurements. look at the actual floor plans and options. keep your money in your pocket until you find one that fits your wants as well as your needs, and do a test drive.
if you are not mechanically inclined, you have two options. go to a rv service school, or carry your check book. do not neglect to educate yourself about repairs, even if you dont do them yourself. download all the service manuals you can find. with those, you can accomplish most repairs. do not hesitate to ask for help.
the smart man doesnt know everything, he knows who to ask.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #13

the smart man doesnt know everything, he knows who to ask.

That was drilled into my skull continuously for almost 3 years in the military.

You can't get enough info, period. Do you have friends or acquaintances that RV? Are you close to a major or a few minor ones where you can look?
Even though you don't have a RV yet, please complete your profile.
As I have said on other threads, read, read, and read some more. Work your list down by gotta have and really want, but don't develop tunnel vision and be ready to improvise. The day we bought our coach, we would have bought a 5er toyhauler IF a salesman for Jamestown RV had been willing to call to the dealership for somebody to be willing to show us an identical unit to what we were looking at with a longer garage. All we wanted was somebody to stay maybe 10-15 minutes past closing. We bought this one that afternoon. Don't rush. You will always have more time.

You have already made the best first step. You registered here.

WELCOME!!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Wife and I bought a used but nice class c in 2016 for our first motorhome. Did test drives and everything and liked it pretty well we thought. After spending 2 weeks in a motorhome that I couldn't fit in the shower, we opted to sell when we returned and looked for 9 months till we found the motorhome we now have which is a 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 34XB. This motorhome had all the "must haves" like thermal windows, heated tanks Workhorse chassis with GM engine and much more that served as a bonus. We are happy with our used unit especially since we didn't have to take the big loss on purchase price. Good luck and Look,Look, and Look some more.

PS lay on the beds, sit on the toilet, stand and turn around in the shower and sit at the booth, look at it like you will be living in it from now on.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote