Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #15

The list is endless" I had the good fortune to experence the following at different parks:

a charge
extra for water
extra for electric
extra garbage
extra for wyfi
extra for tv (they had cable)
extra for different prices for different sites in park (if you were near a water spicket; that was extra.
extra for level or hillie
extra for front of park or back of park
extra for near a street light.
extra for shade or no shade
extra for pull through; or no pull thru
extra for gravel or dirt
got a guest for dinner; $5.00extra
extra if you have a dog
extra if you are out of state
extra for (I think if you took two many breaths they would charge extra for that)
there are more but I quite
Of course I never go back to these parks
I too will never stay at a KOA; I think most are over priced.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Like most of you I avoid the KOA's because of over pricing for what you get. But there is one KOA that gets my business each year on our way South and on our way home whenever we go down I-15 and that is the one in Beaver, UT. FREE WIFI, reasonable prices, excellent grassy dog area by the office, level and well kept pull throughs long enough that you can leave the Truck or the Toad connected and they honor Good Sam and Military for discounts. They even have fire pits at the sites with no extra charge.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I agree that hidden charges are despicable and CGs that use this type of business practice should be avoided. Charging extra for credit cards is wrong, price should already reflect that mark up. I look for places that offer discounts for cash. I am willing to pay cash and avoid the credit card mark up.

Gouging during emergencies is criminal.

However I can't agree that charging extra during holidays or special events is wrong. It's basic supply and demand. When demand is up and supply is fixed then pricing will go up.

I own a business not a non profit charity, greed does not enter into the equation. I provide service to commercial industries so I have never had the opportunity to raise prices for special events. I do charge more for my technicians on weekends and holidays as I have to pay them more for those times. My pricing is driven solely by competition.

I expect to pay more during the holidays and special events. Especially at the CGs that close during the off season. I understand they need to make their money in a shorter period of time. It's not just CGs that do it, parking lots, hotels, restaurants, etc... all tend to raise prices during peak demand.

I believe in "Charge what you are worth, but be worth what you charge" If a CG charges me $75.00 a night I expect service from them commensurate with that price.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I think as far as KOA goes it depends on the owners and how they want to run it. I went to the RV show in Pomona and stayed at the KOA, and wasn't too impressed, the Wifi the advertise is good only at the office they said too many trees blocked the signal, have they ever heard of repeaters? that is the worst KOA I have stayed at, the KOA in Santa Paula is pretty good, so results my very.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #19

You will likely see more situations where using a credit/debit card will be surcharged, especially for low cost items. Many people today will use a credit card to but a coke and crackers at a convenience store which eats up most of any profit the store gets. I was recently in the NC mountains and several places had signs indicating a minimum purchase amount required in order to use a CC. I heard one store owner negotiating with a customer who wanted a discount on a product and the owner agreed only if they paid cash, would not give the discount if they used a credit card. Most of these small stores, cg's are really hurting and are looking at ways to stay alive.

I don't like the cc surcharge but understand their plight. Also, I see little difference in surcharging a purchase for using a cc versus offering a discount for cash.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
I'm curious. Would everyone be happier if the CG's set a price with every possible thing included and then gave discounts based on what you didn't want/use?

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I agree that CG's should disclose extra fees upfront (and I believe most do), but as a full-timer I prefer to have things priced "a la carte" so we pay for only what we use. We don't travel with children except when we have our grandkids so we don't need water slides, and many other such amenities. We have satellite TV and cellular internet so we don't need cable or wifi.

As for charging more on holidays and special events, that's what capitalism is all about. If a CG has something (location) and you want to stay there during some event (Balloon Fiesta, etc) they have a right to charge whatever price the market will bear for what they have. At the moment we are in a CG that is charging because they are having Halloween weekends throughout October. This weekend we had our grandkids with us, so it was worth it. Next week we won't, yet we'll have to pay the price if we want to stay. That's our decision; if we don't stay someone else would because the CG is full.

No one forces anyone to stay at a KOA or any other CG. If you don't like their pricing structure that is your right and you can post all you want about it. However, IMHO if you choose to pay their price I think you lose the right to complain about it. It's like paying the ridiculous ~$85 per ticket to go to Disneyworld. I think it is totally unreasonable but I decided to pay it so I could go with my grandchildren. Like the Mastercard ad, that experience was priceless.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I agree that hidden charges are despicable and CGs that use this type of business practice should be avoided. Charging extra for credit cards is wrong, price should already reflect that mark up. I look for places that offer discounts for cash. I am willing to pay cash and avoid the credit card mark up.

Gouging during emergencies is criminal.

However I can't agree that charging extra during holidays or special events is wrong. It's basic supply and demand. When demand is up and supply is fixed then pricing will go up.

I own a business not a non profit charity, greed does not enter into the equation. I provide service to commercial industries so I have never had the opportunity to raise prices for special events. I do charge more for my technicians on weekends and holidays as I have to pay them more for those times. My pricing is driven solely by competition.

I expect to pay more during the holidays and special events. Especially at the CGs that close during the off season. I understand they need to make their money in a shorter period of time. It's not just CGs that do it, parking lots, hotels, restaurants, etc... all tend to raise prices during peak demand.

I believe in "Charge what you are worth, but be worth what you charge" If a CG charges me $75.00 a night I expect service from them commensurate with that price.
You contradicted yourself in this post plus make invalid comparisons. You tried to compare your business to the hospitality industry by saying you have to pay your techniticians more on weekends. I don't know about where you live but in AZ, you can set up an employee's work week to include weekends. It's only overtime you have to pay for. Even holiday pay is not manditory if it falls on a scheduled work day. I know the convenience store industry doersn't pay employees extra for weekends and I seriously doubt the hospitality industry does either.

You said you don't mind paying extra for weekends or during special events then you later qualify that by saying you expect to receive increased services or increased quality of service for the extra paid. I've yet to stay anywhere that charged more for weekends and even more during special events and get more or better services. If anything, the opposite has been true! Usually, the staff was overworked because the management didn't increase the number employees working resulting in shoddy work or the employees getting behind in their work.

As far as the increased rates during special events not being price gouging goes, the last time the Phoenix area hosted the Superbowl, motels that normally charge $50 or less per night were getting over $200 a night, the amount going up the closer one got to the stadium. Better accomodations were charging an even higher percentage markup. Please don't tell me you don't think that is price gouging! And what about the traveling business people who had to travel to the area and couldn't have cared less about the game (believe it or not, there are people who don't care about sports)?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #23
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Let's identify these turkeys and work together to demonstrate that these antics are not acceptable. There are more RV parks than ever, and less business to go around.

With new technology, the one in the right seat is often online, routing the rig and arranging overnights. So, "park surprises" should become a rarity. If we share information.

They will either improve or be shut down.

www.rvparkreviews.com
I agree with posting on the above.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #24
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper 05MA View Post
I basically don't like KOA's either but have had no issues with upcharges or anything else with the KOA in Goodland KS. It is owned and run by a Polish couple who are the nicest you'll find. She will also prepare a meal for you and deliver it to your coach at the appointed time. Try the stuffed cabbages with mashed potatoes. You can't eat it all!

I'm not a KOA fan but we have stayed at that park and the lady is a good cook. Yum, Yum.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #25
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
To add to your list of hidden charges.

How about Wi-Fi, they tell you they have it, but don't tell you that it will cost you and that you have to go to the office or recreation hall for it to work. Or you get a couple of hours free, and then it costs you.
Or the wi-fi has no range or connection consistency. Either get it working right or take it out.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
..No one forces anyone to stay at a KOA or any other CG. If you don't like their pricing structure that is your right and you can post all you want about it. However, IMHO if you choose to pay their price I think you lose the right to complain about it. It's like paying the ridiculous ~$85 per ticket to go to Disneyworld. I think it is totally unreasonable but I decided to pay it so I could go with my grandchildren. Like the Mastercard ad, that experience was priceless.
The problem with that is if you don't know until you arrive that there are additional charges, your right to choose has pretty much been taken away since it may be too late to find another place. If someplace wants to charge extra for this, that, or whatever, fine. But the extra charges should be disclosed ahead of time so the customer will be able to make a decision based on accurate information.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #27

My two cents:
I've stayed twice at American Rv park in Albuquerque and found the place lovely. I would definitely recommend it to others. As for increasing the price during the Annual Balloon Festival, really, don't you expect as much. Try staying in Las Vegas on New Years or in San Diego on 4th of July. Come on already, lets be realistic with our expectations.
Hidden fees are annoying, and I agree that Trailer Life and other publications should denote services requiring additional fees with some signage. However, even if they do, services and fees tend to change between publications. Personally, if offered an extra fee I would appreciate the ability to decline...I won't pay for the pool, or I won't get a bathroom key. But actually, I tend to use most of the facilities so I guess I would pay all the extra fees anyway. Sure it bugs me, but so do the "resort fees" at hotels for services that you expect from a resort and you cannot decline.
We like KOAs. They are for the most part clean, consistant, and friendly. A few are actually exceptional and are on our list of destinations...Petaluma KOA, Circle of Pines KOA in Williams, San Diego KOA, Santa Cruz KOA (with exception as they do not have cable TV).
Again just my two cents worth.
Happy Trails you all.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Discounting for cash vs charge card is not unique to RV Campgrounds. More and more gas stations are doing it as well. I thought that it was contrary to the charge card/vendor agreement to do that, but I guess not.