Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo136 View Post
As far as charging extra for using a CC. Unless they have changed their policies recently the CC companies in the past have not allowed anyone to charge extra for using their card. You would have to complain to the CC company and see if it would change anything. I think the gas companies get around the rule by posting a high regular price and offering a discount for paying cash (I know splitting hairs but it is their game, we just play it)

Tony G.
Agreed:

The definition of a convenience fee varies slightly from one card brand to the next, but it's basically a charge in addition to the original transaction amount for the convenience of being able to use an alternate payment method. It sounds like the same things as a surcharge, but it's not that easy.
By VISA's guidelines, surcharges are different than convenience fees. By MasterCard's definition "any fee charged in connection with a Transaction that is not charged if another payment method is used" is a surcharge. So technically, VISA says that convenience fees and surcharges are different and MasterCard says they're the same thing. Are you confused yet?

Surcharging customers for paying with a credit card is considered discrimination based on payment type. A convenience fee is a charge for offering customers another payment option that is separate and in addition to standard payment methods.
For example, a retail store that takes credit cards, cash and checks as payment can't charge a convenience fee on credit card transactions. This would be considered payment method discrimination because credit card payments are not offered as a bona fide convenience and the fee isn't applied to all methods of payment.
On the other hand, a utility company that primarily accepts payment via mail could charge a convenience fee on in-person credit card payments that they offer as a bona fide convenience to customers.

Convenience Fee: Charging Convenience Fees for Credit Card Transactions

If they say: We charge for using Credit, tell them 'No'.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo136 View Post
I am a little confused. Are the CG charging for extras and forcing you to take the extras. Or are you allowed to decline the extra service? If they force you to take the extra service that does not seem right. If you can refuse the service without being charged then that would be OK.
As far as charging extra for using a CC. Unless they have changed their policies recently the CC companies in the past have not allowed anyone to charge extra for using their card. You would have to complain to the CC company and see if it would change anything. I think the gas companies get around the rule by posting a high regular price and offering a discount for paying cash (I know splitting hairs but it is their game, we just play it)

Tony G.

Try buying Gasoline in California.......It's against banking laws to charge extra for using a credit card. (I have a business that accepts cc and I can't charge a different price) The campgrounds are trying to cash in. so for posting off topic.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't need It ! Motor-T

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I agree with the problem of hidden fees. I don't mind them charging any kind of fee, provided that it's fully disclosed up front. I want to compare apples to apples. I have a real problem with phone companies because of that. If a cell phone plan is $30, don't add another 25% in additional fees. If it's a tax, call it a tax. If it's a mandatory fee, it's part of the cost of the plan and should be disclosed when a price is quoted.

As far as capitalism and greed, I have a hard time differentiating the two. Way back when I was setting prices for an auto parts manufacturer, I would price as much as I could. The cost of an item was not related to the price. Greed is what make capitalism work.

I don't have a problem with CGs raising the price for special events. They can and do charge whatever the traffic will bear. If you don't like the price, don't stay there. If they raise the price and don't provide increased service, don't stay there. If they quote one price and show the services they provide, but upon arrival, they have a list of the required fees to get the services that were originally offered, I have a problem with that.

In the case of a special event after learning about hidden fees, you may no longer have the option of going elsewhere. That is my definition of price gouging. If it's a non optional fee, it should be disclosed without exception. I even take issue with an ad that says $24.99 (additional fees apply). That's the same thing as saying the price is more than $24.99, but we're not going to tell you how much.

Feh, this is a sore spot with me.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gol--ly! (As Gomer Pyle used to say)

This topic has a lot of folks all riled up. This is my two cents worth- Here I go- The other side of the coin -

I find the Wi-Fi service at RV parks to be poor and unreliable-at best, in most places I travel to. I have solved this problem very easily.
If you must have reliable Wi-Fi service, for whatever reason, get the Verizon 2200, 3G Mi-Fi, credit card size router. I can run 5 wireless devices, simultaneously, on this little beauty. I personally run two wireless laptops, and a wireless printer. My neighbors can even use it, which I have done quite a few times, while in their rigs, if not parked too far away. Anyone that I let log on, or use mine, usually ends up getting their own Mi-Fi router card.

A second major concern of many folks is the increased price spikes/hikes during Holiday weekends and special events- Get Over It! That's just the way things are all over the world.

If you don't like the credit (or Debit) card fees, pay with cash. Install a small safe in your rig.

As far as extra charges for folks, kids and cars are concerned- the parks are in business to make money. Most parks will allow two adults and two children and one vehicle (truck or car). If you come with 6 adults to go to a NASCAR race, or the "Masters Golf Tournment", be ready to fork out more "bucks". These additional folks use water, electricity, garbage disposal etc, and all the campground facilities. The convenience for you, and the proximity of the RV park to the event, should be considered.
Ask about extra all fees/charges, when making your reservation.

No, I'm not a campground owner, but I have worked at a very unique Coastal Maine campground for the past 7 years. The season in Maine is about 2 1/2 months long. The Park opens in Mid-May and closes on Columbus day Monday in early October. Things don't get going good until the kids are out of school, which is about the third week in June, and business dies when they return to school about the third week in August.

We have to maintain our own water treatment (sewer plant), and keep a beach clean of sea weed and debris. It takes people and time to help folks recover things, such as earings they lost in the shower drains- yes, both Women's and MEN'S! We are busy Lobstering and cooking lobsters for our guests nightly. We frequenly give battery boost's to cars/trucks that left a door ajar, or a radio on all night. We had a lady this year rip off her left tailpipe on a 35' motor home trying to squeeze out between two hugh Granite boulders on her exit (instead of turning left to leave as she did, she should have turned right for a clean exit route out). It took two of us, about 2 hours to remove the tailpipe, go to the shop and reform the existing tailpipe and re-hang it, so she (and her two daughters) could proceed back to New Hampshire- on a Sunday! Add to all this the normal functions of Daily registrations, property watering and upkeep, Bath house cleaning and parking new folks everyday-some of which cannot back up anything!

This Campground has been in this family for almost two hundred years. If they can't make a living in 2 1/2 months, It'll be gone to developers, or such, and we all lose the use of this very special, and unique place on earth for RV's and Tenters.

I guess there is a price to pay for having your own private hotel, restaurant and transporation with you as you travel.

I was paying $4.59 for a loaf of bread late this summer in the grocery store--
Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How would you justify 10.00 per night for an infant?

The rest make perfect sense. Your crew seems to be the exception not the rule.

We just like to know up front what the cost will be if we decide we can afford said price so be it. I don't like getting to CG and find out there will be more charges ADDED on. By then I have put to much work into getting prepped and loaded. Kids are excited about the trip don't want to tell them the price was more than we planned for and have to cut some fun thing out of event to make up for extra cost. The whole reason we RV is so the family can enjoy it TOGETHER.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #48

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Personally I think American is a rip-off if they do that just because of the balloon fest. That's no different the scabbing or price gouging. It should be illegal, that's double what their normal rates are. But if their are those that pay it then of course their going to charge that much.

Price gouging usually refers to taking advantage of a natural disaster, such as increasing the prices of essential goods following a hurricane or tornado. Increasing prices when demand is at a peak for normal reasons is just plain old capitalism. Want a hotel during the Super Bowl? Expect to pay a premium. Why do beach resorts charge much lower rates during the "peak" season, rather than in non-peak winter season? Simple supply and demand. I have no problem with prices increasing with a known in advance event in which demand will greatly exceed supply (eg balloon fest). Immediately after the balloon fest, you can bet the occupancy goes way down.

For businesses with "perishable" goods or services, like airlines, hotels, restaurants, CGs, if you don't have customers one day that revenue is forever lost.

As to other policies (extra for electricity) how is that any different than a CG that has lower rates for "no hookups" or water only hookups, etc? You use more services you should pay more.

As you stated, all did inform you at the time of booking of these charges. Some of these charges are not permanent (eg $75/nite in balloon fest) so it would not make sense to advertise them in camping guides.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #49

There are plenty of CG's that use greed. I'd like to charge them a fee for upping fees on me. They don't tell you until your face to face of their instant fees this night and that isn't good customer service at all. It makes them look like real bandits without the use of a gun too....
Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #50

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
...A second major concern of many folks is the increased price spikes/hikes during Holiday weekends and special events- Get Over It! That's just the way things are all over the world...
So what? Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. And as long as people lay down and take it, it will keep happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
...If you don't like the credit (or Debit) card fees, pay with cash. Install a small safe in your rig...
For me, using a debit/credit card is still far safer that carrying cash. It also is the best way for me to track my spending. Your idea of installing a safe in a rig isn't practical. I wouldn't always have the access to it since I wouldn't have it with me at all times so I would still have to carry large amounts of cash. I do a lot of my spending online. Try doing that with cash only.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Try buying Gasoline in California.......It's against banking laws to charge extra for using a credit card. (I have a business that accepts cc and I can't charge a different price) The campgrounds are trying to cash in. so for posting off topic.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't need It ! Motor-T

Its not just California that charges extra for using your credit card for gasoline purchases. Oregon, Washington, and Idaho also charge for credit card use, I just completed a trip in our motorhome from Montana to California and return. Some of the stations charge .10 per gallon more for using your card.

Dieselclacker
Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #52

I remember a few years ago there was an effort to pass a law that required businesses to give a discount to cash buyers; that was shot down real quick by the businesses.
I guess its ok to add a surcharge for CC. but not ok to give a discount for cash.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Conquest102,

Quote:
How would you justify $10.00 per night for an infant?
I can give you some answer I've heard before-- but you probably won't like them--

"Where do you put the dirty diapers- Do you take them home with you to dispose of?"

"Don't you bathe the children with campground water?"

"Do they use the pool or beach facility while your here?"

I like the convenience of the credit card at the gas pumps. I used to pay cash, until I had to get in line to give them money to turn a pump on, then get back in line to settle up after finishing- Now the pumps turn off at $75 automatically-.

Folks, I'm not trying to justify any of these practices- I'm just telling you how to avoid these extra charges before you lock in to a Non-refundable deposit, as many of these are, and be disappointed when you get there.

This is the way RV life is today.

Good luck,
Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #54

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where do you put the dirty diapers- Do you take them home with you to dispose of?" They actually did come home on that trip we used a diaper genie.

"Don't you bathe the children with campground water?" NO its wellwater smell nasty even after being filtered. Barely usable for toilet.

"Do they use the pool or beach facility while your here?" The older kids did Baby no way.

If we had been told about the child limit before hand we would have not gone to this park. We were not informed about it until they already had swiped CC for the regular fee's. Then asked how many in party then told us it would cost extra. Thats the part that ticked me off about it. Of course there's a big sign NO REFUNDS. So we were trapped either pay extra or forfeit all of the money we had just paid. I count it as a lesson learned and have never stayed there or any other CG that doesn't post fee's or list family size limit.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of the things that I have learned, or experienced, in my five plus years of traveling around the US in our motorhome are listed in random order (as I happen to recall them). These are not "Great Truths" that will apply or even effect all RVrs.

Governmental parks (city, county, state, federal to include national parks, forrest, COE, etc,) generally charge a flat rate regardless of pull-thru or back-in in a given park. The rates will change within a given system (like state parks) depending upon location and general amenities within the park. Most state parks only recognize senior citizens (for discount purposes) who are residents of that particular state. Like private parks, some government parks are quite nice and others a little bit on the ratty side.

Private parks:

Pull-through sites cost more than back-ins.

When a campground advertises that they have concrete, or paved, parking pads, don't assume that mean level pads.

Many parks will have several different prices depending on where in the park you are staying and the scenery and amenities that go with that particular spot.

If you're going stay 13 or more days you are usually better off (cheaper) just to rent for the month.

It cost a lot money to stay in south Florida during the winter months. You can get the same sites in the summer for extremely reasonable rates. Key West and Disney's Fort Wilderness are exceptions - sites there are expensive year round. I can only assume that this applies in south Texas and Arizona campgrounds.

It costs more to stay in some parks on special holidays and special events, particularly if they are close to the event location.

I've never had a campground charge me more for using a credit card unless they advertised a cheaper cash price. I've stayed in several parks that would not accept credit cards. Cash or check (who can believe that anyone these days will take check) only.

Several campgrounds operate on the "honor system". Put the money (exact amount - no change will be forthcoming) in an envelope thru a slot in the door or come by and pay on the next day because the office is closed today (usually happens on Sunday).

Truck stops routinely have a cash price and a higher credit card price.

Most parks price includes up to four (2 adults & 2 kids (or children). Those that start adding fees for more than two people irritate me and I usually will not return there. I know of one park that charges $3 a head for anyone over 2 people, but will let you wash your rig for free. So I spend the $6 for bringing the grandsons and have them wash the MH (No flames, I'm just kidding.)

Some KOAs are very nice, some are good, some are ratty. Almost all are overpriced.

There are some very nice campgrounds that accept PassPort America. May sure you know the qualifications for each campground.

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean nice. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean ratty.

There is a difference between the advertisements of "free Wifi" and "Wifi available".

Some campgrounds charge more for 50 amp service. Usually about $3 which I consider nominal in a low to moderately price campground. They usually do a lot of business with RVers that don't or can't use 50 amp so they don't charge them for it.

Before I stay at a park I usually check it with Woodall's, Good Sam, RV Park Reviews, and Google maps. Like many others here, I'm not shy about asking for the forums advice and counsel on a park. Usually I have no surprises when I arrive at a campground.

If a park charges for something they don't in someway tell you about ahead of time, I will not return there.

I also will not stay in parks that do not trim their trees.

I've never had a motel/hotel charge me a cancelation fee. Why do some campgrounds feel they are entitled to one (or to keep all of your money)?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #56

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well said jim & bj.