Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #57

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Max:

"No, I'm not a campground owner, but I have worked at a very unique Coastal Maine campground for the past 7 years."

Give us some more info on this park. We are planning on a trip north next summer.

You can post it here or PM me.

Thanks

Horace

Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #58

1) Charging an "event" price for a hotel room, campsite, rental house is not gouging. It is simply supply and demand. If you want to attend the Masters golf tournament in early April you will pay a premium for your hotel room. If you want to visit Augusta GA in August you won't pay so much. Attending an event is voluntary. Gouging is when the same hotel might raise their rates after a hurricane or other disaster to take advantage of your misfortune.

2) Many businesses will offer a discount for cash, I see no rational to legislate it.

3) Many gas stations here in SC post their cash price on their signs and charge a higher amount for credit card. Some stations treat debit cards processed as debit the same as cash, some don't. As the price of gas goes up, the more the stations have to pay the CC companies while their profit margin stays the same. Using a debit card as a credit card results in the same fees to the business as a credit card. Gas stations make very little profit per gallon and cc fees consume a big part of it. We have options-- Pay cash or credit card.

4) Unpublished or hidden fees from cg's is just bad business and the word will get around.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #59

I just don't consider a KOA from the first place. When looking for a CG I act like they don't exist when reading through listings, either on line or Woodalls. Another peeve is CG's that charge $10 or more to dump, which is of course told to you after your stay and you visit the dump station and find them pad locked! Wife and I do not return to these CG's.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #60

I have been on the road for over 230 days going from Florida to Alaska and now in Phoenix. I have only had maybe a few places charge extra for anything. 2 places charged me $3 a day for my dogs, only 2 places charged me for internet. I have not found it bad out there for extra charges at all. Yes some places the wifi is bad or you have to get near the office, for it to work. But you deal with it! Sure isn't worth getting upset about. It is just part of the experience of being on the road.
I have only stayed in one KOA, not because I don't like them, but because of price. They are normally more money than I want to spend. But the one I did stay in was very nice and had good cable and wifi.
But extra charges I have not found like alot of you have.
My 2 cents, tom
Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #61

They are private businesses. They have the right to charge what they want and for the amount they want. No different than any other business. You also have a choice and that is to stay or go. Personally I won't stay at a park that will charge me for items that should be included in the price. Too many places out there that need your business.

JMHO. I was in the business world for over 30 years and the key to long term success is to make as many customers happy as possible. They will come back.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Some KOAs are very nice, some are good, some are ratty. Almost all are overpriced.
KOA is the one chain that is known for extra charges - you pay extra for kids, for pets, for air conditioners, for heaters, etc. Their rates start out high and go up from there. I will use them if absolutely necessary, but prefer almost anything else...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #63

Just looked at the Orange Grove RV park website, and their rates are all posted. After the daily prices are listed, have state they give an additional $2.00 off per night if payment is made in cash or check.
California law prohibits charging more for using credit card for payment, but the merchant can give a cash discount. That is what they are doing in this case, and it's legal.
CarlGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
I just returned from a 2800 mile trip through the southwest, Ca. to Az. to NM. to AZ and then to Ca.

I noticed that the following parks had hidden charges that were not revealed to Trailer Life. Orange Grove in Bakersfield $3.00 to use a credit card, Needles Marina Park in Needles $5.00 per day for Electical, a hard core no refund policy and $75.00 per night (during Ballon Fest) at American Rv park in Albuquerque, how ever they do inform you of both when you reserve, and at Destiny Rv in Goodyear Az they charge $3.00 per day for electical.

I think a park can charge whatever they want, however the extra charges should be listed by Trailer Life and/or be stated when you reserve a spot.

BTW, with exeception of American RV Park, I took my business elsewhere. I apprectiated that American told me upfront of their policy.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just read through this whole thread and it's still unclear to me what is meant by "hidden charges"...
I haven't encountered anything like that myself, but always make it clear when making reservations exactly what/how many vehicles/dogs/people/ whatever and inquire about included amenities...
I've never been rudely surprised on arrival.
The O.P. mentions charges "not revealed to Trailer Life (magazine?)"- but is there an expectation that Trailer life can/will guarantee prices????

Thanks

Francesca
Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Horace,

We work here in Southport, ME. It is in the Booth Bay Harbor Region, about 1/3 of the way up the coast in Maine. It's 1 1/2 hours North of Portland about 18 miles off US 1.

Prices this year (2011) were $50/ Day on the ocean- No sewer there, only water and 30 amp. It's $45/day up in the Campground. Some 50 amp and with sewer. Plus Maine state tax is 7%. of course, we have a dump station behind the only bathhouse we have up in the campground.

This is a rustic, small campground, very neat and clean, and the campground is only a 2 minute walk down to the ocean (mouth of Booth Bay Harbor). It has two small beaches and a pier and a float off the point of land by the bay. Kids have a ball with the nets, pails, and shovels we let the kids use for free. They catch baby lobsters just wading on our small beaches.

Wi-Fi is extra, $5/day or $20/wk. More than 2 adults are $9/Day, Children- up 18 yrs old- (more than 2) are $4/Day, An extra vehicle has a charge as well as visitors to your site. Day visitors are less than overnight guests. If you use A/C it's $3/day on the honor system. Lobsters are on a par with local fish markets. It was $6/lb (Chix- 1 lb) this year and he rans specials. 5 for $32/cooked- 5 1 1/4lb $42/cooked. Cooking is $4 normally for up to 6 lobsters. We cook them from 5:30- 7 pm. Orders have to be in by 4 pm as Steve Gray (the owner) paddles out to an ocean moored float to gather up the day's order. We had a 4 1/2 lb available this season. 2 lbs and up are usually on hand. Steve "fishes" (for lobsters) normally 2 times a week just for the campground

A 50%, Non- Refundable deposit is required within 10 days of your booking or the site will be released for re-booking at that expiration date if the deposit is not received. No credit cards are accepted. They will take a "mailed in" personal check if you have more than 10 days to your reservation dates. ONLY CASH IS ACCEPTED ON YOUR ARRIVAL for the remainder of your balance.
No refunds for early departures.

We only have a handful of sites available for 39- 40' motorhomes. 3 on the ocean and 3 or 4 up in the campground. All are back- in's. We have many repeat customers and many sites are booked already for next year. He will open up the booking season for the year 2013 in early January.

If you book on line, or by phone, tell Steve or Suzanne "Hi" from Max & Cindy.

A few facts about Maine- The TOTAL population of this gorgeous, hugh state, is 1.318 million. about 2/3 of those folks are close to the coast.

The capital of Maine is Augusta, about 19,000 folks.

No billboards- They want you to enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

Good luck and have a great summer in Maine.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
I use Trailer Life for choosing where to stay. All I want is for the parks to disclose any extra fees. Maybe Trailer Life can list fees llike the do for WiFi and animals

I did choose to stay at American RV and they did tell me their charges and policy prior to making reservations. Will I stay there again, No.

I firmly believe that any RV park can charge whatever they want and/or give discounts for using credit cards. No new laws please, we have enough already.

This is not a rant or a statement of approval or disapproval for these parks. Use the info as you choose.
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #67

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Horace,

We work here in Southport, ME. It is in the Booth Bay Harbor Region, about 1/3 of the way up the coast in Maine. It's 1 1/2 hours North of Portland about 18 miles off US 1.

Prices this year (2011) were $50/ Day on the ocean- No sewer there, only water and 30 amp. It's $45/day up in the Campground. Some 50 amp and with sewer. Plus Maine state tax is 7%. of course, we have a dump station behind the only bathhouse we have up in the campground.

This is a rustic, small campground, very neat and clean, and the campground is only a 2 minute walk down to the ocean (mouth of Booth Bay Harbor). It has two small beaches and a pier and a float off the point of land by the bay. Kids have a ball with the nets, pails, and shovels we let the kids use for free. They catch baby lobsters just wading on our small beaches.

Wi-Fi is extra, $5/day or $20/wk. More than 2 adults are $9/Day, Children- up 18 yrs old- (more than 2) are $4/Day, An extra vehicle has a charge as well as visitors to your site. Day visitors are less than overnight guests. If you use A/C it's $3/day on the honor system. Lobsters are on a par with local fish markets. It was $6/lb (Chix- 1 lb) this year and he rans specials. 5 for $32/cooked- 5 1 1/4lb $42/cooked. Cooking is $4 normally for up to 6 lobsters. We cook them from 5:30- 7 pm. Orders have to be in by 4 pm as Steve Gray (the owner) paddles out to an ocean moored float to gather up the day's order. We had a 4 1/2 lb available this season. 2 lbs and up are usually on hand. Steve "fishes" (for lobsters) normally 2 times a week just for the campground

A 50%, Non- Refundable deposit is required within 10 days of your booking or the site will be released for re-booking at that expiration date if the deposit is not received. No credit cards are accepted. They will take a "mailed in" personal check if you have more than 10 days to your reservation dates. ONLY CASH IS ACCEPTED ON YOUR ARRIVAL for the remainder of your balance.
No refunds for early departures.

We only have a handful of sites available for 39- 40' motorhomes. 3 on the ocean and 3 or 4 up in the campground. All are back- in's. We have many repeat customers and many sites are booked already for next year. He will open up the booking season for the year 2013 in early January.

If you book on line, or by phone, tell Steve or Suzanne "Hi" from Max & Cindy.

A few facts about Maine- The TOTAL population of this gorgeous, hugh state, is 1.318 million. about 2/3 of those folks are close to the coast.

The capital of Maine is Augusta, about 19,000 folks.

No billboards- They want you to enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

Good luck and have a great summer in Maine.
I appreciate the advance information. If I ever make it up to Maine, I'll be sure to avoid your place.

A charge for day visitors? Seriously?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
They charge for most private beaches...
Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I appreciate the advance information. If I ever make it up to Maine, I'll be sure to avoid your place.

Heh, here in CA even state or county beach campgrounds charge for day use.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
Heh, here in CA even state or county beach campgrounds charge for day use.
Same here in Washington state, at least on all state-owned recreation lands...
It varies in other smaller jurisdictions like counties.
A lot depends on available amenities.

Francesca