Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Hidden Charges @ RV Parks

I just returned from a 2800 mile trip through the southwest, Ca. to Az. to NM. to AZ and then to Ca.

I noticed that the following parks had hidden charges that were not revealed to Trailer Life. Orange Grove in Bakersfield $3.00 to use a credit card, Needles Marina Park in Needles $5.00 per day for Electical, a hard core no refund policy and $75.00 per night (during Ballon Fest) at American Rv park in Albuquerque, how ever they do inform you of both when you reserve, and at Destiny Rv in Goodyear Az they charge $3.00 per day for electical.

I think a park can charge whatever they want, however the extra charges should be listed by Trailer Life and/or be stated when you reserve a spot.

BTW, with exeception of American RV Park, I took my business elsewhere. I apprectiated that American told me upfront of their policy.

That's my 2 cents worth.
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I think American is a rip-off if they do that just because of the balloon fest. That's no different the scabbing or price gouging. It should be illegal, that's double what their normal rates are. But if their are those that pay it then of course their going to charge that much.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #3

To add to your list of hidden charges.

How about Wi-Fi, they tell you they have it, but don't tell you that it will cost you and that you have to go to the office or recreation hall for it to work. Or you get a couple of hours free, and then it costs you.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I agree...If they charge for something they should have told you upfront...or in the Trailer Life guide... We were trading camping stories last night around the campfire, "plummerfran"k had a NC rv park charge him $3.00 each for his 2 little grands'. They did not reveal this little charge anywhere in thier ads. It's not right. Peace..Dickson
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Personally I think American is a rip-off if they do that just because of the balloon fest. That's no different the scabbing or price gouging. It should be illegal, that's double what their normal rates are. But if their are those that pay it then of course their going to charge that much.
This is nothing new for RV parks or hotels that up their rates for special events. Last week in Daytona, FL a RV park that costs $18 (Passport America) ran their rates up to $75 per night during that event. It's the same principle applied with fuel prices. Same ownership of gas stations in the same town charging moore at one station over another. Why?? Because they can get it there. Nothing more than greed.

Dave
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really have no problem with whatever merchants of any kind want to charge. I understand that they can and do get premiums for special events. I resent merchants who artificially jack up prices in emergencies but, to a point, even understand that.

We have the right as consumers to deal with merchants who treat us fairly and reasonably. I try to withhold my business from all of the others. I also have the right to share my consumer experiences with other consumers. It is one of the reasons that I continually bad mouth KOAs. As far as I'm concerned, that company, as an organization, is one of the worst about hidden fees. Many of the extra fees that they want to charge are never divulged until you check in. I've solved that problem. I don't check in.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Let's identify these turkeys and work together to demonstrate that these antics are not acceptable. There are more RV parks than ever, and less business to go around.

With new technology, the one in the right seat is often online, routing the rig and arranging overnights. So, "park surprises" should become a rarity. If we share information.

They will either improve or be shut down.

www.campgroundreviews.com
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Watch out for the dozen or so parks owned by Cal-Am Properties in Arizona. They charge the winter visitors extra for the electric meter ($15), plus the usual charge for electricity, $15 for trash and $28.58 for sewer. You cannot say "I won't connect to sewer" or "I won't use the garbage service" and avoid these charges. These parks are like the airlines. They publish a low monthly price to get you in and then add on all these extra charges to drive up the prices to a point that m puts them at the upper end of the price market.

We also have been to Mountain Home RV park in Mountain Home ,Idaho several times. We were there in September and paid with a credit card like usual. We were back in October and they charged us extra to use the credit card. (We won't be back) The issue to me is that they have already built the credit charges into the daily rate and to tack on another fee is unfair. They should raise their rates for everyone if they need more money and not just charge the credit card users.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #9

This goes back a few years but a place on the Cape Cod wanted $3 for the use of the fire ring. They did tell us up front when we called. But we did not make a reservation.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Receipts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
It is one of the reasons that I continually bad mouth KOAs. As far as I'm concerned, that company, as an organization, is one of the worst about hidden fees. Many of the extra fees that they want to charge are never divulged until you check in.
You've got my attn. Anyone have any good KOA receipts with extraneous charges we can post?
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #11

I basically don't like KOA's either but have had no issues with upcharges or anything else with the KOA in Goodland KS. It is owned and run by a Polish couple who are the nicest you'll find. She will also prepare a meal for you and deliver it to your coach at the appointed time. Try the stuffed cabbages with mashed potatoes. You can't eat it all!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
Watch out for the dozen or so parks owned by Cal-Am Properties in Arizona. They charge the winter visitors extra for the electric meter ($15), plus the usual charge for electricity, $15 for trash and $28.58 for sewer. You cannot say "I won't connect to sewer" or "I won't use the garbage service" and avoid these charges. These parks are like the airlines. They publish a low monthly price to get you in and then add on all these extra charges to drive up the prices to a point that m puts them at the upper end of the price market.

SNIP
Yup, they lost a few long term snow birds when Can-Am jacked up the rates.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The charge that got my back up the most was the Streetsboro, OH KOA wanting to charge me to bring two guests in for an after dinner drink. We had dinner out with relatives and wanted to show them our coach.

Pretty embarrassed when the campground opened the gate for us but not our relatives in the car following.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As soon as I see them charging $1 for coffee, I start looking for all the extra charges. If they start with the ups like some KOA's, I'm down the road. No problem.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote