Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: HOW much RV travel this season?
NO RV travel - fuel to expensive! 0 0%
Only very limited RV travel. 20 16.00%
Not sure yet. 41 32.80%
YES, will use unlimited RV travel! 64 51.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
We are in the land of high fuel prices but it will not affect our plans. Logically fuel prices are not the deal breaker in our travels. Add everthing else up and fuel is not a big issue.

Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by j2m2 View Post
We plan on going to the east coast this summer and back. We live on the west coast (Vancouver Island). This is a trip we will make regardless of fuel prices. We pay $5.40 for 4 litres here in Canada at the moment. We plan on staying away from CG as we can be totally off the grid. Gonna be fun. Cheerio
We're just a few miles north of you in the Alberni Valley and we plan to head for the east coast too. My wife is in the Victoria Marathon on April 29th so bright and early April 30th morning we will be at Shwartz Bay terminal head for Tsawwassen and then south to WA and the next place with any duration will be Sault Ste Marie On for my granddaughters wedding and then on to the right coast. Our planned total trip is just over 9,000 miles so we will enjoy as best we can. We both love to travel and camp and just to get in the mood we're headed up to Strathcona Dam overflow campground for the Easter Weekend with family. maybe we'll run into one another at a CG sometime. I fly the decal on the back, license plate side on window.

Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #31
Your next to the best fishing grounds in the world. Enjoy! I'm glad you are not phased by the cost of petro
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #32
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The trips we've planned for 2012 aren't going to change because of the price of fuel.

I have limited time to use the coach. My plans are not over the top, so I will proceed as planned.
97 Discovery 36RS
00 Subaru
wirelessenab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's not all the high cost of fuel,but also the high cost of repairs. Had everything budgeted for a trip to San Diego in April to see GKs and GreatGKs and a trip to Iowa to see #2 son and had a major roof leak,furnace went out and a leaking window and there went to Iowa trip.Cost of fuel isn't always the main factor in this equation.I just find it hard to believe that the people that work on our rigs think we're made of money.Evidently,when they repl;aced the roof,they pinched a wire and the back-up camers doesn't work.Soo,was quoted several different prices from a couple of local repair shops from $65-90 dollars for a 65' wire and got it from RVcams for $38 and a whole lot of great suggestions for fixing the problem.Oh and the charge to reseal a double pane window was $241 and that didn't include taking it out and putting it back in.OUCH.
I'll spend the money on fuel if I could.
'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #34
Tiffin Owners Club
No changes in our plans. We plan on a trip from South Carolina to California and back logging 6000 miles.
Rsanchez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #35
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
We'd planned to zig-zag our way from southern to northern CA on our way to OR. Diesel prices in CA look to be 20 to 40 cents a gallon more than in AZ or NV. So, we're going to stay in AZ and NV as much as possible until we get to Tahoe, then cross into CA. Maybe. We might just skip CA altogether.

Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
hmmmm, California is missing out on tourist dollars because of their higher gas prices....are you listening California?
I would do a Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon, drop some pennies in Laughlin, NV and head on in to Cali. It's worth the 40 cents.
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #36
Been doing around 4500 miles a year. Will do it again this year.
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #37
Fuel costs are one of several factors for us this year. DW decided to retire from her job where she (and I) had health insurance (This a year plus sooner than we had previously discussed). So now we will be on COBRA for the next 18 months. This will have quite an impact on our budget, and add to that the increased cost of fuel. So we need to figure out what our new finances will be. We still have plans to make at least one short trip a month to the various state parks here in SC. Once we determine where we stand, we may venture out for longer trips.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #38
No our plans are not going to change. As it's planned now, a trip of about 3500 miles.
But, there is one trip we are making this coming November no matter how expensive fuel becomes --- our voting booth!
Hugh '09 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43'
Cummins ISL 8.9L Turbo 425hp, Spartan MM GT
Allison MD3000, '12 Jeep Wrangler
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
Interesting to note that so far, 55%, and nearly ALL those actually responding with posts here, say they will NOT change their RVing plans due to fuel prices - and yet, the OTHER 45% who WILL quite probably modify their RV travels, prefer to remain anonymous...

NO problem with that, but interesting to note that only the ones who say "damn the fuel costs, FULL speed ahead" are pretty much the only openly vocal ones...

In our case, we get good enough MPG with the 5er and '02 Dodge/Cummins (17 MPG towing!), that fuel expense is less of an issue - especially since that setup is what we would use on longer runs. We bought the '88 Winnie Super Chief primarily for towing the fishing boat on shorter trips relatively locally - 100 mile or so radius thru the Summer months.

The MH is far more luxurious for comfort on extended stays - and I'd love to take it on a longer trip, like back to Florida for another winter's stay, but fuel costs at 3 times the cost of using the 5er/truck combo makes that completely illogical, since we DO have an economical alternative.

But then, we only paid $7K for the MH - so if it spends more time parked, no real big deal - need to get more usage out of the 5er anyway. But yes, our RVing plans, purely as a matter of choice, not personal economic necessity, HAVE been limited due to fuel costs - but perhaps in a different way than for most...

The total value of our RVing setup - the 5er and MH - I'd still have the pickup anyway - is under $10K - and not a major factor so far as needing to "get our money's worth" out of it - we've already done that - but for sure, I'd sure hate to be looking out our windows at a relatively new $150-$200K RV setup, and feel like I HAD to use it to justify having bought it!

ON another viewpoint - I'd sorta guess the various corporate analysts who get paid to monitor forums and threads like this one, are happy to see so many who are unfazed by increasing fuel costs - and openly willing to to pay WHATEVER the Saudis and Iranians want to set prices at (one way or another), since that so well fits in with their own pricing goals and strategies...
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
We're still going on long trips and camping.. overnight city trips are out, cheeper to take the car and stay in a hotel. . I think high fuel prices will have more of an affect on the sale of RV's then the use. It's not hard for us who are now RVing to justify another buck for fuel.. But if your are planing to buy a RV the cost of fuel brings about a whole different perspective.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #41
Thor Owners Club
No change in our plans. We had the plans made late last year and started making reservations in January. We put money aside all year for our month vacation so its not a big thing if things cost a little more. The 3 and 4 day trips throughout the season are planned for as well.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #42
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not one bit. No more then the high price of health insurance effects my health care.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote