Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: HOW much RV travel this season?
NO RV travel - fuel to expensive! 0 0%
Only very limited RV travel. 20 16.00%
Not sure yet. 41 32.80%
YES, will use unlimited RV travel! 64 51.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

HIGH fuel costs - how many miles will you RV this season?

LOTS of discussions as to steadily and severely increasing fuel costs - being absolutely honest with yourself and others - and anonymously if you prefer, tell how fuel costs and general economics will affect YOUR RVing plans this season as far as travel is concerned.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are watching fuel prices close. We may not make as many trips as in the past but won't hesitate to jump in when we really want to. Didn't have any long trips planned this year anyway.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
High fuel prices will not affect my RVing plans at all this season. If I have 10,000 miles planned, at 8mpg and $4/gal it will cost me $1250 more to travel over a $3/gal season. That's not enough money to cause me to waver. Heck, I can probably change my eating habits enough to make up that difference.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
The trips we've planned for 2012 aren't going to change because of the price of fuel.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In the summers of '10 & '11, we traveled 12.5K and 13.5K miles respectfully. This summer we will probably only travel maybe 4K in the Northeast. Time to use CGs as destinations instead of stopovers. This is not so much to save fuel as it is the need to slow down and enjoy some of the areas we visit over a longer periods of time. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We can't really let them effect us at the moment. We're in Florida and have to get back to Michigan for the summer months. So plans now are get home, stay for about 1-1/2 months head further North for a month then back home over to Ontario/Toronto for a few weeks, back home and then get ready to come back South. WHEEEW I'm tired out already. So I guess for now and later this year it isn't going to stop us yet. Now if it get's to $6-7/ gallon we'll revisit this conversation.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The trips we've planned for 2012 aren't going to change because of the price of fuel.

Rusty
Ditto.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

Ditto.
Ditto, ditto

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
We will not change our plans due to fuel cost. The incremental amount for 1000 or so gals of diesel going from $3.50 to $5.00 is a minor annoyance - just a few bucks more the grandkids won't get.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We leave April 30 for a planned 10,000 mile trip that we put off 2 years ago. Fuel will only continue to rise and tomorrow isn't promised. We plan to use Passport and Elks as much as possible to offset some of the fuel costs.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #11

We plan on going to the east coast this summer and back. We live on the west coast (Vancouver Island). This is a trip we will make regardless of fuel prices. We pay $5.40 for 4 litres here in Canada at the moment. We plan on staying away from CG as we can be totally off the grid. Gonna be fun. Cheerio
Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #12

Thats part of rving you pay to play and we are going to keep playing
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel prices has no effect on our RV plans or travel. We're going out in a blaze of glory and broke. EEEEE HHAAA, WHAT A RIDE!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our plans for this year won't change. It'll be Peggy's first summer of retirement. I responded "not sure yet", as we're not sure yet what route we'll take from WI that will eventually land us back here in SC.

We've worked all our life toward our goal of one day being full time. No one is guaranteed they'll see tomorrow and I've already dodged one bullet, not waiting for another to catch me. As the cost of fuel goes up, the budget for other items large and small goes down. Maybe we continue to drive our toad a lot longer than we might have otherwise, same goes for the motor home (no short term plans to replace either). Perhaps we take longer to get from here to there so we can spread the costs between pension payments, spending more time at any one stop than we may have otherwise. Fewer meals out, fewer tourist attractions that have fees associated with them (all of this, of course, impacts all those businesses that will see fewer or no dollars from us, as well as our plans).

Bottom line. Our budget, like most, is not unlimited, but we're not to the point of having to park it yet either. I've got my fingers crossed that we'll never see that day. Some days I'm more optimistic than others.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel