Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #141

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Wink Gas Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Info on this thread is very interesting... Try this Gas Buddy Chart....

Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com
Hola'....luv charts! Both are right, $4 per gal in summer 08 and $1.61 per gal in Dec 08.......

We are newbie Class A'ers....if gas was still at say 2.75, 100 gals for @800 miles is $275. If it goes to 4, which it is....that's $400 for the same 800 mi. So, $125.00 more. Dinner with friends on Sunday with 4 glasses ofvwine, and 2 desserts was $134.00, moderate italian cafe with Great food (Tia's in Gulfport, FL). So, we still GO IN THE RV, and use the bbq grill more often....evens out, and still get to Enjoy The Journey :-) :-) :-)

geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #142

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno-heidi View Post
Hola'....luv charts! Both are right, $4 per gal in summer 08 and $1.61 per gal in Dec 08.......

We are newbie Class A'ers....if gas was still at say 2.75, 100 gals for @800 miles is $275. If it goes to 4, which it is....that's $400 for the same 800 mi. So, $125.00 more. Dinner with friends on Sunday with 4 glasses ofvwine, and 2 desserts was $134.00, moderate italian cafe with Great food (Tia's in Gulfport, FL). So, we still GO IN THE RV, and use the bbq grill more often....evens out, and still get to Enjoy The Journey :-) :-) :-)
Dang that was an expensive dinner!

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #143

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
This is somewhat true, however, when the current person took office gas here was something like $1.69/gal. today it's $3.69/gal.

Obama has already stated that he thinks our gas prices are to LOW, that he wants to see our gas prices more in line with Europe's. I'm thinking he's not going to be pulling on to many strings to force the prices down.
True and the reason is taxes. The biggest part of fuel cost in Europe is TAX! 60% of the UK's $9 + fuel price is TAX! Strip away the tax, which will never happen, and the cost in the US and UK are about the same. If the US and UK prices do get closer it will be because the US goverment decides it needs more money and raises the taxes on fuel to EU levels

Fuel tax: British motorists pay up to 60% duty and VAT on petrol | Mail Online
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #144

We have ours for sale. 7-8 mpg camping in Rv vs. 25 mpg in minivan & tent.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #145

Winnebago Owners Club
We will continue to use our 7+ mpg coach. We will just be closer to home this year. My thought is that if the government does not quit printing more money it wont matter how much oil we drill for in the U.S.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdy1950 View Post
True and the reason is taxes. The biggest part of fuel cost in Europe is TAX! 60% of the UK's $9 + fuel price is TAX! Strip away the tax, which will never happen, and the cost in the US and UK are about the same. If the US and UK prices do get closer it will be because the US goverment decides it needs more money and raises the taxes on fuel to EU levels

Fuel tax: British motorists pay up to 60% duty and VAT on petrol | Mail Online
Watch for it, because its coming to a theater near you, it'll be here. Why? Because thats what politicians do
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #147

Diesel price here, today is $3.86 gal.!!! It gone up about 36 cents in less than 3 weeks. I willnot stay home/quit traveling.....I'll just have to cut back on what I spend else where. The high price of diesel fuel, hurt everyone, I'll not spend as much at the vendor shop as I usually do. The ones making the money are oil companies!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #148

Gas prices are too high. No reason for the price gouging that we are seeing.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #149

Quote:
Gas prices are too high
What should gas prices be? Who decides? Is cheap fuel an entitlement?

We will still travel this year (DW could not live without the grandkid fix). The areas we travel in the summer, however, are short season camping areas with a limited number of campgrounds. When fuel is high priced people stay closer to home there, and fill all the sites either seasonally or with reservations so they can still vacation without travelling. We are having to make reservations now for stays in August in non resort areas.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #150

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
What should gas prices be? Who decides? Is cheap fuel an entitlement?

We will still travel this year (DW could not live without the grandkid fix). The areas we travel in the summer, however, are short season camping areas with a limited number of campgrounds. When fuel is high priced people stay closer to home there, and fill all the sites either seasonally or with reservations so they can still vacation without travelling. We are having to make reservations now for stays in August in non resort areas.
Cheap energy is the backbone of what the majority of our country's economy was built on and what made us a power house for so long. Tiny countries like Japan, England, and so on that are close to the size of a US state can get by on high prices because the population density is incredibly high and there's very little distance to cross.

As you'll recall most of the European nations are now in a downward spiral going far faster than our own.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Set it to six years, it'll open yer eyes for certain .
For something really interesting compare the Canadian avg price to the US avg price over 6 years. You will see that they mostly reflect the same trend. Thus all the people that blamed Bush and his oil buddies four years ago and the people blaming Obama today are just spewing hot air.

Gas prices are driven by many items and the current upward trend is due to multiple items. Speculation in the global commodity markets are driving the price per barrel upward but that is more of an effect then the cause. Think unrest in oil producing countries, global demand going up, OPEC cutting production, etc as the causes.

Now would having more domestic oil help, yes but in a limited fashion. There would be more oil available that might drive prices down but if OPEC cut production by the same amount then prices would rise again.

Just my .02

Mike
Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #152

Received an add for a fun vacation spot so I began mapping out a trip. Round trip about 3200 miles going the scenic route. Time allowed probably 4 weeks. Fuel expense alone could be $3000 .
We probably will not make that trip this year.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcan

For something really interesting compare the Canadian avg price to the US avg price over 6 years. You will see that they mostly reflect the same trend. Thus all the people that blamed Bush and his oil buddies four years ago and the people blaming Obama today are just spewing hot air.

Gas prices are driven by many items and the current upward trend is due to multiple items. Speculation in the global commodity markets are driving the price per barrel upward but that is more of an effect then the cause. Think unrest in oil producing countries, global demand going up, OPEC cutting production, etc as the causes.

Now would having more domestic oil help, yes but in a limited fashion. There would be more oil available that might drive prices down but if OPEC cut production by the same amount then prices would rise again.

Just my .02

Mike
Well said Mike.

I spent 38 years in the oil industry drilling for oil and gas for a major oil company. The last 10 years of my career was done overseas. With all the talk about bringing manufacturing jobs back to the US, nothing is being done about drilling coming back here or opening up more areas to drill. Yes the White House says there is more production now than when Pres. Bush was there but the drilling took place then and the wells are on line now, hence more production today. If the powers that be would have come up with an energy plan when started talking many, many years ago we would be better off, but no action.
I would rather have oil and gas spills than a radioactive spill like Japan has today . I cannot complain about the price of gas because the oil industry is the reason I am able to be retired today with good benefits.
James
Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #154

In regards to Canada, I live on the border with Canada (Niagara Falls). Back in the late 70's and early 80', when we had our first big oil shortage, in my opinion care of Jimmy Carter, we would go over to Canada for gas because it was less than half price over there. They built gas stations with 30 or more pumps at each to handle the demand from Americans. Well like any good European model country, the Canadian government saw a good thing and started to tax the heck out of their gas. Canada is self sufficient on oil needs (where the US gets more than 50% of its oil from), but because of the small population and the European style social programs, you pay through the nose. Based on this, I really do not think how much oil we have or not makes a difference. I do believe that our government policies do make a difference, on both sides of the isle. However, I also believe that our currant president is very much an environmentalist who receives considerable amount of $$$ from areas such as solar and alternative energy sources, hence high gas prices. Also, don't forget that the US gov't still owns about 33% of General Motors. Chevy Volt anyone?

Tags
gas