Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #183

Carolina Campers
Staying close to home for the most part this summer. Going to use our Thousand Trails membership and put the MH in one park for a couple of weeks and then a little later at another one for a couple of weeks. Both parks within 50 miles of home. Planning one road trip, thinking up to Amish country in PA and a few weekend trips to the NC mountains which are close.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #184

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Are you at Hales Bar on Nickajack?
Shellmound RV Resort at Nickajack. We stayed for three weeks at Marion County Park, but they do not allow stays of over three weeks. Shellmound will let you stay as long as you wish, and some people here take full advantage of the privilege, with identity signs on poles, four wheelers and boats on trailers taking up their whole campsite.

The view of the lake is fantastic. The trains rolling by opposite the lake took some getting used to, and the dogs bark every time they hear the horn blast at the locks at the dam. But it's still a million dollar view.

All told, it could be worse. At least the wife likes full timing, which is a surprise to me. All of the things that make life easier that we were going to put into a new sticks and bricks we are now putting into our RV. We've upgraded the TV sets, satellite TV receivers, and added some convenience items from Camping World in Chattanooga. The best part about our situation is the monthly rate for parking, which is VERY reasonable. And unlike a new to us sticks and bricks, our elderly fiver is completely paid for. We're not letting higher fuel prices cramp our style, we're enjoying where we are and saving cash to move south to San Antonio for a few months, where we will see our daughter, son-in-law and our grandson. We'll come back through Louisiana and back to Florida, seeing our son and daughter, then back to our new legal domicile of Tennessee by the spring of next year.

I do miss my office, high speed internet, and my comfy chair. But our stuff is in storage in Jasper, and if the right place comes along, we can make an offer. But we will enjoy the summer and fall here. We might even take the rig to the Smokies for a few days, do the Dollywood thing and all.

Thanks for asking!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #185

Venting about high gas prices

Hi again. I am a reporter with a major media outlet and really need to interview a few folks who have - or had- summer camping plans about the effect of the higher gas prices.

If it's not affecting your plans, that's fine too. If it is affecting your plans, or if you are buying or not buying an rv because of the gas prices, please contact me at karenlschwartz@yahoo.com
thanks

Karen Schwartz
www.karenlschwartz.com
KarenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #186

I think it's fairly simple what needs to be done to cope with high fuel prices. We just don't travel as far. And whether RVing for vacations or fulltiming, pick a spot you like, stay longer, and travel few miles between camp sites/RV parks. It all adds up to few miles on the road while still enjoying our RVs.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #187

Thanks Rowanova,

Can you email me at karenlschwartz@yahoo.com with your name and city so I can including you in the story. Appreciate your tips.
KarenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #188

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
Found this at CNN
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-775975

Might be easy to just avoid that gas station in the article but I heard S cal is awful in prices.

It will cost us roughly 1500$ to go across the states this summer at current gas prices according to Buddy gas site. Compared to 300$ it would cost in my car. However the fact we save the money in rooms, pet fees, and see the country make it an invaluable trip for me that I pray I get to do many times over. (It would cost us way more in airfare to do this trip and see nada lol)

I would like to see alternative that put are farmers back in buisness, give us a renaewable resourse. (hemp, corn, spit...what ever)

I still want my own RV and I still want to drive all over the place. :-)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #189

Newmar Owners Club
Fuel prices are high or the value of our dollar has been decreased by printing more paper. Not sure which way to look at it, but we have a 3-4 week trip planned for this summer, part relax and get away and on the college tour circuit for the last one we have left at home. We will drive a bit slower, not eat out as much while on the road and look for deals or discounts on our food and drink. Put 6 new tires on the coach this last week and through the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program, saved +/- $1500. that we can allocate part of the savings to fuel. May not have as much to retire on when the time comes and the sad shape the economy is in, we are going to enjoy life whenever we can.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #190

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I am not letting it slow me down, I left Seattle with Reg Unleaded at $3.659 have had to pay over $4.00 one time in Florida, saw lots of pump prices in the $3.999 to $4.119 Range, but since heading North out of Jacksonville, FL prices have been dropping. I paid $3.539 at a Flying J this morning in South Carolina. Be nice if it keeps dropping, but I am not holding my breath and I still have to get to Maine and then back to Seattle, WA..
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #191

Ford Super Duty Owner
i paid 3.15 yesterday after using my $.50 per gal. disc
THANK YOU Kroger
brianj
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #192

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My travel is going to be close to double that of last year.

Not a fan of higher fuel prices but nothing I can do to reduce them so onward we go.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #193

Winnebago Owners Club
Won't affect us. We will still be out most weekends. It will just hurt a bit more.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #194

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We plan to head up into CO the first part of July to avoid the heat here in AZ. Will spend a month or so there then head to the Black Hills for a couple of weeks. On the way back, will spend some time somewhere along the way... maybe southern CO or northern NM for a few more weeks before heading back into AZ. Since those coming to AZ in the winter are called "snowbirds", if we head north during the summers does that make us "sunbirds"? I'm not going to make reservations way ahead of time because I think enough people will stay home this year that I won't have a big problem finding a place to park it. We've been counting our pennies and stashing money away all year to afford this trip.

I'm lucky in the fact our old diesel rig gets right at 10 mpg towing. While I spent my career in the oil industry, I still have to buy my fuel just like everybody else. However, 30 years in the energy business does give me an appreciation for the overall picture of what an oil company goes through to provide the fuel we are all so addicted to. No whining here just because finally I'm paying more for a gallon of gas than for milk..! I don't expect them to sell a product way below the global market value just because I feel that I'm entitled to cheap gas as an American.

I will say that I'm a bit surprised at the number of people who have bought into the idea that you can put the squeeze on Exxon (or anybody else) by not buying their product at their retail outlets. Folks.... THAT IS AN INTERNET HOAX..!! The only people that will adversely affect are the folks trying to make a living at the retail outlets. Exxon will surely sell every gallon of gas they refine, every barrel of oil they produce, and you can bet on it. They don't even need those stations at all. My suggestion is to be thankful the oil companies are making enough money to continue their exploration activities and research & development so we can have our addiction satisfied for a while longer. This is a very finite resource, and the supply will eventually dwindle to where prices make it uneconomical. Until then, it's not going to be a lot of fun. I can remember buying gas in the early 60's during a gas war (remember those) for less than $0.20 a gal. Sure, and you could buy a pack of cigarettes for $0.25 too and I was making $267 a month!

Enjoy your travels and for heavens sake, be safe out there..!!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #195

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with most of comments above. example.
.....This is a very finite resource, and the supply will eventually dwindle to where prices make it uneconomical. Until then, it's not going to be a lot of fun. I can remember buying gas in the early 60's during a gas war (remember those) for less than $0.20 a gal. Sure, and you could buy a pack of cigarettes for $0.25 too and I was making $267 a month!

___ .....

Prices are coming down for now; but speculators and world market will drive them back up.
bbminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
We plan to head up into CO the first part of July to avoid the heat here in AZ. Will spend a month or so there then head to the Black Hills for a couple of weeks. On the way back, will spend some time somewhere along the way... maybe southern CO or northern NM for a few more weeks before heading back into AZ. Since those coming to AZ in the winter are called "snowbirds", if we head north during the summers does that make us "sunbirds"? I'm not going to make reservations way ahead of time because I think enough people will stay home this year that I won't have a big problem finding a place to park it. We've been counting our pennies and stashing money away all year to afford this trip.

I'm lucky in the fact our old diesel rig gets right at 10 mpg towing. While I spent my career in the oil industry, I still have to buy my fuel just like everybody else. However, 30 years in the energy business does give me an appreciation for the overall picture of what an oil company goes through to provide the fuel we are all so addicted to. No whining here just because finally I'm paying more for a gallon of gas than for milk..! I don't expect them to sell a product way below the global market value just because I feel that I'm entitled to cheap gas as an American.

I will say that I'm a bit surprised at the number of people who have bought into the idea that you can put the squeeze on Exxon (or anybody else) by not buying their product at their retail outlets. Folks.... THAT IS AN INTERNET HOAX..!! The only people that will adversely affect are the folks trying to make a living at the retail outlets. Exxon will surely sell every gallon of gas they refine, every barrel of oil they produce, and you can bet on it. They don't even need those stations at all. My suggestion is to be thankful the oil companies are making enough money to continue their exploration activities and research & development so we can have our addiction satisfied for a while longer. This is a very finite resource, and the supply will eventually dwindle to where prices make it uneconomical. Until then, it's not going to be a lot of fun. I can remember buying gas in the early 60's during a gas war (remember those) for less than $0.20 a gal. Sure, and you could buy a pack of cigarettes for $0.25 too and I was making $267 a month!

Well said, but can you or someone explain to me why the price at the pumps seem to be dropping when the price per barrel is holding or rising???? We have some stations in my area that are as much as 40 cents difference (interstate Exxon on the high end) within 10 mile radius....and there are most of the interstate prices higher compared to stations within 5 miles of the interstate much lower....the government wants us to believe that $3.25 is a bargain if it goes down to that.....it seems to me that the pump prices could be inflated.
Bobby88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas