Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
It's all B.S. My new slogan is "REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER".

The cost of fuel will go down before November.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I almost slipped up and said" everyone get out there and vote" but that would not be on subject. What I really mean is, there is nothing we can do about the price of fuel, except drive less, drive slower, buy one of those new fuel efficient rv's, keep your tires inflated, keep more wax on the RV ( drag coefficient), get a more fuel efficient toad, carry less stuff, ??????. Wait a minute, Did I say here was nothing you could do?

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #87

$6.00 a gallon is being discussed by the TV "gurus", maybe by Memorial Day. That will have a dampening effect on our travels, maybe making our out and return routes a bit smaller. We typically change CGs every day and travel about 150 miles each time, staying out between Sunday lunchtime and Friday evening. What would have been a gas cost for that 6 days (900 miles, 125 gallons) last season of $400 or so, now grows to $750. An additional $350 will make it more difficult to afford on a retiree pension.

We'll have to see how it plays out. We sure don't plan to give it up yet a while, but prices like that will certainly curtail things.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
When gas hit $4 last year and people cut back the price went down to a little over $3 a gal.... Make no mistake if the big 2 don't sell gas here they will drop the price. What do you have to lose?
I agree MRBB I have thought the same for the past several years. I avoid Mobile as much as I can. Will only stop on my terms, i.e. low on fuel. Now in the Western New York State area we have only one major oil supplier, Sunoco, who buys their oil from Venezuela from that great friend of the US Chavez. As I write this we range between 3.81 to 3.89 gal.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
The U.S. consumes 19.2 million barrels of petroleum products per day. Of that amount, a net 49% is produced domestically. The rest is imported.
Where is it imported from? Only a small fraction comes from the Middle East, and that fraction has been declining in recent years. So far this year, imports from the Persian Gulf region -- which includes Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates --have made up 9.2% of total petroleum supplied to the U.S. In 2001, that number was 14.1%.
The U.S. imports more than twice as much petroleum from Canada and Mexico than it does from the Middle East. Add in the share produced domestically, and the majority of petroleum consumed in the U.S. comes from North America.
This isn't to belittle our energy situation. The nation still relies on imports for about half of its oil. That's bad. But should the Middle East get the attention it does when we talk about oil reliance? In terms of security and geopolitical stability, perhaps. In terms of volume, probably not.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
You can change things:

STOP buying gas from Mobile and Exxon for just 1 month and watch the gas prices go down. Is it that hard to go to another station? They first set us up for $3 a gal gas, then $4 a gal gas and now it's $5 a gal gas. when will it end? When you STOP buying gas from the big 2 and they start lowering their prices. Every other gas maker will have to lower theirs too and you will send a message to them and wall street showing you won't stand for it.
Well, first of all, your "big two" is actually ONE, ExxonMobil. Secondly, even if you buy gas at a 7-11 or at Costco, chances are that you are still buying XOM gasoline. There are only a few actual refiners, so their products are branded for different retail outlets.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
To answer the OP's question...no, not one bit less.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #92

I quit buying Exxon branded gas in `77 when it made my truck ping when no other brand did. Don't care if they got a bad load. If they want my business, they should have been more careful.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From the looks of their bottom line, I don't think they miss you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #94

And.... I thought I could make a difference in this world.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #95

Gas in California is already over $4/gal. Actually $4.09 for regular yesterday and $4.30 for diesel, I haven't been out yet today.
We already planned a San Diego trip for early summer (120 miles each way) and will probably look at going North, no farther than Sacramento later in the summer (380 miles each way). This instead of our usually trips of over 1000 miles each way.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
I don't like it, but if you sit down and look at some numbers it is interesting.

1000 mile trip at 8mpg takes 125 gallons

$3.50 $437
$5.00 $625

That is $188 difference. Seems like if we can't afford that we probably shouldn't be out there.

Now if you are planning a 5000 mile trip the difference jumps to $940.
How did you come up with your numbers for a 5000 mile trip??? 5000 mile trip @ 8 mpg equals 625 gal. and 625 gal @ $3.50/gal equals $2,187.50 and @$5.00/gal it would be $3,125.00....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
It's a global market. China is the huge demand. The big oil companies export more gasoline from the USA than they sell here. I'm afraid boycotting as you suggest would only hurt the local gas stations.

Ramblin hit the nail on the head. China, India, so many countries that we boomers have considered '3rd world" for so long are up and coming economies. They are thirsty for gas, they are buying cars, and the demand for global gas is escalating. I am not sure when the last refinery in the US was built, but I seem to recall it was quite awhile ago. There are bottlenecks in the system, with a burgeoning demand. And that is the recipe for 'supply and demand'.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #98

It looks like the more you travel, the cheaper it gets. If it was only true.

Tags
gas