Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Gas was $1.89 when our current president took office. Last month they announced that the USA EXPORTS more gasoline than any other commodity (wheat, corn, etc). Gasoline... Our #1 export.... I'd say you're right.
This is why you won't see the price of gas going down anytime soon. What we don't use the oil companies ship overseas. That way they can keep us on the "slightly short supply side."
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #100

Quit watching TV. It helps. One day , if you try sell your couch, the first thing a buyer will ask is "how much fuel is in the tank?"
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #101

Price of diesel went up 25 cents a gallon in the last several days (now $4.29) - all grades of gas also raised dramatically - MORE to come...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #102

HLN reported today that the national average is up 3 cents overnight. They said .2-.3 is the norm. She said she has never seen that much of a jump overnight.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
HLN reported today that the national average is up 3 cents overnight. They said .2-.3 is the norm. She said she has never seen that much of a jump overnight.
How about .26 in 8 hours? The Speedway by my house went from 3.49 to 3.76 from 8am to 4:00pm yesterday.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #104

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangum2camp View Post
I was wondering what will campers do if gas goes over $4.00 a gallon? THE news said it will be here in md. by may.I know it will keep us close to home
Yesterday, Florida joined California and New York, with $4.00+ a gallon regular gas.

Five buck-a-gallon could be a reality by May.

$4 or 5 buck-a-gallon gas effects the economy more than most people realize. It's a game changer! Problem is that some of them important people who live in Washington DC never have to fill their tanks. Maybe that's why they don't get it. Sooooo out of touch!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
i think 5 bux will be my stay close to home price
Yep, Probably a lot of 4 day weekends close to home.
The shame of it is the way the winter has been we could get the season off to an early start.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oil is sold on the global market, doesn't matter where it's mined. Drilling here puts people to work and that's a good thing, but as far as lowering the price at the pump, not gona happen.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #107

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Oil is sold on the global market, doesn't matter where it's mined. Drilling here puts people to work and that's a good thing, but as far as lowering the price at the pump, not gona happen.
Yup. Dead on. Unless the gubment got into the oil business and produced domestic oil expressly for the domestic market, drilling more wells here won't make any difference.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #108
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
North, South or Central?

Whats the price of diesel

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #109

We've seen an increase over tha last 4 days of 20 cents. Locally, we have a Safeway station (5 miles from home), a Tribal Chevron station (13 miles from home) and a Costco (22 miles from home).

Usually, the Safeway is the best deal, if we're not going out of town for any other reason. They're usually within 2 or 3 cents of the reservation price.

Today was a surprise. We were headed out to Costco for our monthly shopping trip (a 45 mile round trip) and noted the Tribal station at $3.73.9. It was quite a surprise to see Costco at $3.62.9. Needless to say, we gassed up the minivan at Costco!

US gas prices are still a hell of a deal compared to the UK. It's getting up close to $9.00 a US gallon over there, but it doesn't make the hit we're taking any more digestible. About 85% of the UK price is tax - their per-gallon pre-tax price is actually lower than the US.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #110

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As Long as the cost stays at or below $5 we probably won't cut back our travels in the MH. We will probably cut back on other things. More dinners at home, cut back on our Satellite TV package. Not buy any major items, etc!

On the subject of who's making the money some folks choose to blame the oil companies, however they are just the easy target. The big oil companies make big profit dollars, but a slim margin compared to other industries. Apple computers operates on a 40% profit margin. The average big oil company has a profit margin of 6.2%. The profit is spread across the oil, refining and distribution segments of their business. Government environmental policy / regulation helps drives up the cost in the exploration, extraction, refining transporting and retailing.

Avg cost including profit per $1.00 in gasoline price.

Taxes: 13 cents
Distribution and Marketing: 8 cents
Refining: 14 cents
Crude oil: 65 cents

Source: DOE

So the oil company, who does all the work and takes all the risk gets $0.062 per dollar spent on gasoline. The government who does none of the work and takes no risk gets $0.13 per dollar spent on gasoline. Yes I know they spend some of the money improving roads.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #111

Don't worry about 4.00 gas. Worry more about 7.00 gas by July.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #112

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangum2camp View Post
I was wondering what will campers do if gas goes over $4.00 a gallon? THE news said it will be here in md. by may.I know it will keep us close to home
Here in Maine in 2006, gas was over $5 a gal in May - June, than went back down to to the $4.50 range it had been in for several months prior.

Considering the prices we saw in 2006, even if the gas prices go up to $4 they'll still be considerably lower than 6 years ago.

Last fall (around October) gas here dropped below $3.75 for the first time since the late 90's, and by December went done to $2.40, but only for a couple of days, before going right back up to $3.50 and staying there, until last week when it jumped back up to it's USUAL spot at $3.75

I'm wondering where you live that you are worried about gas GETTING TO $4.00, when it's been there for us for most of the past 6 years!

Than again, I saw a post on another forum the other day, where a person was complaining that milk prices had gone over $2 a gal. I haven't seen $2 a gal milk since the 1970's! OMG! I stopped drinking milk when the prices hit $5 a gal 3 years ago!

I keep being shocked by how insanely low gas and milk prices are in the rest of the USA as compared to here in Maine. YIKES! You guys are complaining about prices going up to numbers we wish our prices would go back down to! Is there really that big a difference in gas & milk prices between Maine and the lower 48?

That said...

Seeing as I live in my motorhome and am not a camper with a home to go to, because my motorhome IS my house, I'd have to say, no, gas prices are not going to stop me from being in my motorhome, though they may result in it being parked in one place for longer periods.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas