Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

High Pressure Valve Stem Issues

I've been running the TST507RV system with Flow Thru sensors for about 6 months now. I run 4 sensors on the truck and 4 on the trailer. So far we've been happy with our system and had no issues...until three weeks ago. I was backing into a parking spot and suddenly felt the steering wheel become heavy. I finished parking and checked the tires. Front right was losing air fast, no nail or puncture was evident. I returned the tire to Sams where I bought them and they said the valve failed. New valve and I'm good. This past Saturday I felt a heavy steering wheel again and a sound at the same time, pulled over very quickly and found the front left was nearly to the rim. This time the tire was seriously damaged on the sidewall. Brought it back to Sams and they again said the valve stem failed. The tire will be replaced but I have to pay the prorated difference (year old on the tires).

I leave the sensors on my truck tires all the time. I now took all of the sensors off of my tires. The valves are all high pressure brass like you'd find in a LT load range E tire. I'm concerned that the sensors are causing the valves to fail. I've never had any valve stems fail before now in all my years of driving. Could this just be bad luck? Should I change my valve stems to a fixed brass metal stems? Do I need to be concerned on the trailer wheels?

Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #2

They don't stick out past the tires, do they? Could you be bumping something with them?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

They are not past the tire, but close. Neither sensor appears to have any scratches from hitting anything.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

Not going to state the brand I have,,,,,, but installed 6 of them on our brand new 2005 Tri axle 5th wheel. Frist trip, I got a herendous tire failure (thought it was a blowout) that did $2,500 damage to the trailer. As i changed the tire I observerd the TPS sensor was still on the valve, however the valve was split at the rubber base. I assumed it was part of the damage.

A few months later, I recieved a letter warning to only use the TPS sensors on steel valve stems due to the weight.

I no longer have the trailer, however I did dismount all the tires and move to steel stems.

L.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting...Tire valves are made of two parts.
The stem (what you can see) and the core (what gets pushed to let out the air.

When you install the 507 sensors, they actually depress the valve core.
So at that time, the core now lest air pass (the seal is not closed).
There is an "O" ring inside the 507 sensor which should seal when the 507 is screwed on.

The valve core can easily be replaced if it is leaking. However, with your 507 installed, the core makes no difference.

So if the dealer said the valve stem is bad, it must be caused by flexing while the tire rotates. The 507 sensors are fairly big, so on smaller wheels they rotate faster than a RV.
TST recommends the non-flow thru sensors on cars.

QUESTION: is there a nut which tightens your valve stem to the rim, or is it a rubber coated stem which is "pulled" from the inside of the rim?

My RAM 1500 has the rubber stems....which are not strong enough for the 507 flow-thru sensors.

Dan
Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
paz

Are your valve stems metal or rubber? As stated by dpinvidic, rubber stems are not strong enough for use with sensors. The weight of the sensor vibrating way out at the end of the stem can cause the stem to fail.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

The stems are rubber at the rim, brass threads above the rubber. I think I need to go to fixed metal stems.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
The stems are rubber at the rim, brass threads above the rubber. I think I need to go to fixed metal stems.
"Brass" valve stems are "metal".... most metal valve stems have a black rubber seal at the rim. inside and out.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
"Brass" valve stems are "metal".... most metal valve stems have a black rubber seal at the rim. inside and out.

Mel
'96 Safari
They are, but the rubber component is only a seal - it's not a structural part of the stem. There are stems out there that are rubber with a brass cover over the rubber, and these are NOT as strong as a real metal stem. The safest approach is to use real metal stems on any tire that holds 80 psi or more.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
The stems are rubber at the rim, brass threads above the rubber...
Like this?

A valve stem like the one pictured above is not recommended for use with TPMS sensors because rubber of the stem will flex as the tire rotates due to the extra weight weight of the sensor. The flexing will eventually cause the rubber part of the stem to crack and leak.

You need metal stems like the angled one pictured by mel s or like the straight one below. There are also metal stems available with different lengths and angles and also in brass, aluminum, chrome finish and stainless.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #11

Paz,

My valve stems are similar but they have a much longer brass section. It seems like I'm going to need to switch to the all metal stems. I'll go with brass since the sensors are brass as well. Any way to tell what size I'd need to get in regard to valve hole diameter? Like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/ITI-TR501-Stan...CMK6EE19AGC0HS

Joe
Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 AM   #12
paz

Joe,

The key to metal vs. rubber is the way the valve installs in the wheel. Rubber valve stems pop into place, and metal ones have a nut that clamps down on the rubber seal. The nut clamping down on the seal is what keeps the stem from flexing.

As for the valve stem in your link, it is for a truck tire. It requires a .625" dia hole in the rim. All the rubber valve stems I saw are for a .453" dia hole. Since you have a rubber valve stem in place now, I suspect you need a metal stem for a .453 hole.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #13

My fifth wheel has the standard valve stems and when I installed TPMS, I didn't even get a chance to road test as the rubber shoulder kept the sensor from screwing down far enough to seal them. Will be switching to all metal stems prior to a planned long trip.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #14

Paz,

Thanks again for the info. I went to NAPA and they didn't know what size the rim hole was on my truck. I'm going to get the .453" and see if that works. My only concern right now is with the shape of my rim the stem base is slightly recessed on the outside. I'm hoping they can still get the nut on and tighten it down. I'm going to also change the stems on the trailer just to be safe.

I could only find Chrome plated ones, not brass like the sensor is. Will this be ok with the two different metals? Don't want any galvanic corrosion.

Thank you,

Joe