Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Higher Mileage Buy Opinion

I looked at a 40' - 2000 Monaco Windsor with a 350 hp Cummins for sale with 132,000 miles on it. It's a one owner since new coach and it has been meticulously maintained.

Would this be a safe buy knowing the care this coach has had? I think it's reasonably priced at the low $40's?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

I am new here but from what i have learned over the last 6 months shopping is that Sounds very good, it is a high end coach with a great power supply. If you are worried, Have an inspection done on the components and chassis, with a $30 Fluids check done to see if there is any interal wear on the motor. And go for it if it checks out good. Knowing if anything is wrong could help negotiate a better price or keep you from buying a lemon.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I looked at a 40' - 2000 Monaco Windsor with a 350 hp Cummins for sale with 132,000 miles on it. It's a one owner since new coach and it has been meticulously maintained.

Would this be a safe buy knowing the care this coach has had? I think it's reasonably priced at the low $40's?
Sounds like a good price. I had a 2001 40' Diplomat LE, ISC350 with banks turbo and PAC brakes (two slides) and it was a wonderful coach. Repleced it with a 40' Dynasty because I got a good deal. Better milage on the Diplomat though.

Would not be concermed about the 132K mi with that power train. Assume 6 speed allison also. But of course I would have a mechanic verify all was well, All I ever did re the engine was replace an exhaust manifold gasket. Put synthetic oil in the transmission and put deisel supplement every time In refuelled and never had any injector issues in 72K mi. I know the owner who has it now and he has not had any significant problems since he bought it in 2005.

I replaced all the shocks @ about 60K and a tailpipe at the same time.

Found the ISC 350 a bit sluggish when towing a toad on long hills, but with the turbo on, it was super in every way, and would run up hills and pass many vehicles in a climb.

Good luck on whatever you do.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sounds like a good deal - you might consider a "warranty" policy for a year just to feel better about it.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Assuming the engine has been properly maintained, that mileage is okay. However, I'd very carefully check the coach...appliances, seals, pumps, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Sounds like you have the experience to sort this one out pretty well. Just factor in any major coming due inspections/services and you should be ok. If you drive a lot, then consider what you will have in 4-5 years of high use. I have seen some junk with less than 50,000 miles. I would rather have the high mileage unit if well maintained.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is maintained as you say I would much rather have a coach that is used than one that has been sitting. They are made to be used and Monaco is a very good coach. I'm impressed with the Windsors. Good luck with your choice.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

IMO the ISC @ 132k is just nicely broken-in and if it is running smoothly now (have an oil & coolant analysis) there is no reason you shouldn't get hundreds of thousands of more trouble free miles ...,,,assuming you look after it. I would be more concerned with making sure all the "running" gear is ready to go. If possible, before you shake hands......

1) I' d have guys at NRG take a real close look at all the belts, radiator, alternator, air bags, brake lines, ball joints, shocks, suspension stuff and plan to change all the fluids (including new synthetic trans & new coolant).

2) How are the batteries & what type of charger/ inverter does it have?

3) How are the date codes on the tires?

4) Does it have the dreaded Norcold....you may want to consider a new residential?

5) TV's will likely need replacement....do you need a satellite?

6) How's the slide toppers & awnings?

7) How's the finish/paint clear coat?

NONE of this stuff (unless the engine or tranny is dusted) is a big deal.....just some things to consider when you're calculating your purchase price and what it might cost you to get it on the road the way you want it. Hey...it's a 12yr old rig....there will be some things which need attention no matter how well it's been loved. My understanding is that a 2000 Monaco was a well made solid rig and well worth a few bucks to keep it running down the road for many more years!

Good luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Sounds like a good deal - you might consider a "warranty" policy for a year just to feel better about it.
I agree : we just purchased a 1998 40' Patriot with 49k miles and a 330cat. the service policy was 2775 for a year. even though that is very low milage I feel better about having the service policy
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
We opted for and put an offer in on a 2000 Windsor 38PBS. 67000 miles. Offer accepted in High 40's. Lots of nice options and upgrades. I go see it next weekend. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Reconsidering after reading all the comments in this thread. Thanks for causing indecision LOL.

The owner of the coach in question has had the coach serviced every spring since he owned it. More often on high mileage trips. Has all records.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #12

Nothing wrong with a coach that's been used with good records. That said (and I have not tracked prices), don't kid yourself that for pricing, that mileage IS a negative. If you are positive you won't be selling soon, then don't sweat it, but it will always be tough to move a higher mileage coach (regardless of the arguments).

Steve