Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
IC2

I skimmed my latest copy yesterday on the 100 foot walk back from the mailbox to the recycle bin in my garage. Great reading - for a short walk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just read my copy and i will not renew my GS membership. like other, the magazine had little useful information, but lots of advertising. Adios GS.

Ken

Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Even before the new format I was growing tired of the magazine, all it seemed to be to me was a big advertisement for their insurance, road service, etc, etc.
I don't think I'll be renewing for sure now, then maybe that will stop the constant flood of junk mail that clutters up my desk every week.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I skimmed my latest copy yesterday on the 100 foot walk back from the mailbox to the recycle bin in my garage. Great reading - for a short walk
Same here, not being a member of Good Sam I wondered why I received a copy. It did seem to be a Camping World catalog with a few Good Sam articles in between the ads....
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I actually called Good Sam a few weeks ago and requested that they quit sending the junk mail. Called again yesterday after recieving a letter that they were automatically renewing my membership that expires in late August. Told them that if I renew, I will contact them, I don't want money coming out of my account. I've had good luck with their roadside emergency service and enjoy the articles in Highways but $112 and $29 to renew is a bit high. They could lower the fee if they stopped the junk mail. Have never even used the discount, get the same amount from AARP.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
With the merger of GS, CW and Coast to Coast, except for the discount on Good Sam campgrounds, why pay $29.00 a year for GS membership when you get the same basic benefits with CW's Presidents Club.

Didn't mean to rant, but I didn't like the changes.
Coastie, could you eleborate a bit?

I buy a GS membership for the CG discounts, well worth it.
And I buy a presidents Club discount for the CW discounts.

How would one membership or the other give me both benefits?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
I fully agree that the new mag is just to full of ads for CW and very little good content. The old mag was just fine IMHO.

I'm a life member of GS and the new mag is a comlete waste of time. I put it in the garbage within 5 minutes of opening it.

Wonder if the the new director is reading any of this?
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #22

I've been a GS ans a Presidents Club member on and off over the years. I keep thinking 'someday' it might have a payoff. There hasn't been.
The so called 10% campground discount very seldom is real. For some reason, the time I try to use it just happens to be the time it's suspended for some reason.

And the 'junk-mail' being a member generates,... DON'T GET ME STARTED!

I will not be renewing.
michigancamper
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #23

I would also "pour" gasoline over it! I might "pore" over some other magazines, but not this one.

We tried GS for our first year, after we bought our Georgetown in July, to see if it was worth the money, but I don't think I'll be renewing it for this season.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Coastie, could you eleborate a bit?

I buy a GS membership for the CG discounts, well worth it.
And I buy a presidents Club discount for the CW discounts.

How would one membership or the other give me both benefits?
Sorry for the delay in responding Jim, been busy doing yard work. What I meant is all members of the three groups, GS, CW Presidents Club and Coast to Coast will receive the new and improved Highways Magazine. I'm only referring to the magazine, not to the discounts. I too, have a membership in GS and CW for the 10 % although I am not certain that the campground membership discount is really worth it as I have memberships with AARP and AAA as well as being retired military.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
I fully agree that the new mag is just to full of ads for CW and very little good content. The old mag was just fine IMHO.

I'm a life member of GS and the new mag is a comlete waste of time. I put it in the garbage within 5 minutes of opening it.

Wonder if the the new director is reading any of this?
Do you think the "Director" would even care??
Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Do you think the "Director" would even care??
Only if it equates to their bottom line. On this forum, maybe not, but on the GS site; likely.

If there is enough outpouring of unhappy customers who state, and follow through with, not renewing their membership, the impact of that would necessitate a change.

As the old saying goes; money talks.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
Has anyone read the new Good Sam (Camping World catalog) magazine? What do you think of the new format? I personally think that it's just one big advertisement for Camping World.
X2

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I joined CW this year primarily because one was convenient to our first two locations and we had just started full-timing and needed a bunch of stuff. CW's mail order rates are atrocious so unless you can get to a store they aren't worth using.

Their prices are easy to equal or beat at a variety of online stores (PPL, Amazon, etc); so if their shipping charges are high and their prices no better than average, there is little reason to be a long term member.

Now if GS is just going to be an organization huckstering for CW and its other services, I can cancel that membership also. Together, canceling those two probably offsets the loss of CG discounts since we have several other memberships that can be used for those (FMCA, Escapees, Passport America, etc).

docj is offline   Reply With Quote