Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

hitch wobble

The hitch head wobbles too much I think. Is this a problem? Will it cause the trailer to bounce more then normal? Dealer said it is better to be loose, then too tight, which makes removing the head extremely difficult. I replaced the shocks on the truck, but I still get too much bounce on rough roads.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

As long as you have the proper size stinger/ball to fit the receiver (eg, 2 inch to 2 inch), it should be OK.

There seems to be a lot of tolerance for hitches. If the wobble bothers you, there are devices which use a side and bottom bolts to cinch up the connection to stop the motion. Some folks have even drilled and tapped holes to fit bolts into a side and bottom of the hitch itself to tighten up the connection.

Personally, I've never had enough wobble to get me to do such things.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

Reese sells a "tightener" to stop that condition. The alternative is to replace the hitch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. My question is " Does the "sloppy" fit of the shank, into the oversize factory 2 inch receiver, on GMC and Chevy trucks, contribute to trailer bounce" ???
Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

An inexpensive and quick way to check it out is to go to purchase a 3/8” square “U” bolt w/plate and nuts long enough and wide enough to straddle the receiver ahead of the collar and angle it backwards so that the plate clamps upward on the “stinger” (it will probably at about a 45* angle). It should tighten up the “slop” in the stinger/receiver, if your “Wobble” is gone- problem solved!
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #6

Do you have an equalizer hitch, if not that may be your answer?
A commonly used example of an equalizer hitch is that if you have 600# of tongue weight, a properly adjusted hitch will transfer about 200# to the TV front axle and 200# to the rear axle and 200# to the trailer axles. (These number are for illustration only)
So you can see that transferring about 400# from the trailer tongue to the TV there is a lot of torque on the “Stinger and Receiver” eliminating any “slop”.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Thanks for the info. My question is " Does the "sloppy" fit of the shank, into the oversize factory 2 inch receiver, on GMC and Chevy trucks, contribute to trailer bounce" ???
A "sloppy" fit between the receiver and the hitch will cause noise and if it was really loose, could add to the trailer bouncing - but, I think it would only be a little bit.

You can buy a "Quiet Hitch" or "Immobilizer"...
Anti-Rattle Hitch Accessories | etrailer.com
...or make one like mentioned above.

But, the simplest way I found to tighten the fit of the hitch and receiver is to ensure the pin is snug in the hole (for side to side movement) and use metal plate to "shim" the receiver (up and down movement).
Add a shim to the top and/or bottom as needed. If you don't have access to any scrap metal, you can get it from any hardware store in the form of home construction straps - made of thin tin...trim to fit.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Not that I have ever noticed in my trailer days or heard of since going online in forms some years ago.

That said both Reese and Blue-Ox have clamps that work very well.

I use the Blue Ox one on my drop hitch adapter, This is because the drop hitch adapter was custom made for me by Blue Ox.. It not only has the 2" receiver (Dropped down closer to the level needed for towing my then and now toweds) but a "Tong" type adapter (Flat plate with hole where you put a ball hitch) for mounting my bicycle carrier.. I don';t want the bike bouncing around so I clamp that one.