Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
It's all subject to change just like it the past. Next year gas may be higher than diesel. We can chase the price curve and never get ahead, only the oil companies win. JMO
Actually it's the different levels of government that win. Fuel companies make between 4% and 6% profit on a gallon of fuel. The combined (local, state & federal) taxes account for between 15% and 22% of the cost.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #30

Hmmm... rethinking the diesel vs gas argument!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Actually it's the different levels of government that win. Fuel companies make between 4% and 6% profit on a gallon of fuel. The combined (local, state & federal) taxes account for between 15% and 22% of the cost.

True.
And my previous 25 ft gasser would cost more to fuel today than my present 42DP.
HOWEVER, we are F/T and my average move is 200 miles per month, about 85 bucks. I move everything I own that far for that much. Annually, fuel means little. It is how you use your rig that determines personal "value", size, etc.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
IMO some of the numbers may be misleading. While the oil companies claim only 4 - 6% profit they may be referring to the refining portion of the process. Or they may be claiming against the futures on replacing the oil. I believe they make a much greater profit in the production end. In spite of claiming low margins the quarterly profits are exceptional.

IMO finances are a shell game with oil companies. Creative financing and reporting lets them report almost anything they wish to report. How can anyone take them seriously when the price at the pump changes with such synchronization? Threat of a war in Lower Dogville, villiage unrest in Upper Dogville, Boat sinks on pond somewhere, all serve as a catalyst for a spike in prices.

How do you tell a politician is lying? Same for oil press releases.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #32

I have a bit of a different view point than most of you all, and Im in a different stage in life than most of you all (31 years old.) We have not yet moved up to a class A but plan to in 5 years or less.

Gas vs Diesel often comes down to ones financial status. A fella can be 100% on board with the benefits of a diesel but if he does not have $175k plus in the bank to buy one he will buy what he can afford. Same with financing the bank will only approve the guy for $100k on a new MH so guess what he's gonna buy a gas job and have a good time.

I grew up camping in a gas class A that my grandparents owned and all of my uncles owned gas class A's. I don't think any of them would have been able to afford or be comfortable paying for a DP back in those days. But we all had fun and made the same memories as the guy with the DP.

Yes the cost of ownership may be the same when you factor in the amount of gas burnt. But for people on a budget They may not be able to get approved for the DP (lets say $1200 per month) but they may be able to get approved for a brand new class A ($600per mo) and gladly put $500 worth of gas in it while on vacation.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I have a bit of a different view point than most of you all, and Im in a different stage in life than most of you all (31 years old.) We have not yet moved up to a class A but plan to in 5 years or less.

Gas vs Diesel often comes down to ones financial status. A fella can be 100% on board with the benefits of a diesel but if he does not have $175k plus in the bank to buy one he will buy what he can afford. Same with financing the bank will only approve the guy for $100k on a new MH so guess what he's gonna buy a gas job and have a good time.

I grew up camping in a gas class A that my grandparents owned and all of my uncles owned gas class A's. I don't think any of them would have been able to afford or be comfortable paying for a DP back in those days. But we all had fun and made the same memories as the guy with the DP.

Yes the cost of ownership may be the same when you factor in the amount of gas burnt. But for people on a budget They may not be able to get approved for the DP (lets say $1200 per month) but they may be able to get approved for a brand new class A ($600per mo) and gladly put $500 worth of gas in it while on vacation.

This is a very true statement. As I stated earlier I have owned two gas and two diesels.

With my gas units I went everywhere that I've gone with the diesels for 1/2 the original outlay. And I might say with less problems.

But as we think that we need to get into a longer & heavier coach that dictates a diesel.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 AM   #34

You cant get past the argument that "Only Real Men" drive diesel!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:59 AM   #35

Hmmm... rethinking the diesel vs gas argument!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
You cant get past the argument that "Only Real Men" drive diesel!

You can get in real problem baiting (maybe they call it flaming or something) someone on here. LOL my DW not see it your way!! (She drives it too!!)

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #36

Diesel

Understand that I do not have big funding but diesel is still my choice. Gasoline may well be cheaper but diesel does not have the tendency to flame or explode if it leaks. I have yet to see an exhaust brake on a gas engine.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #37

I have had a gas and a diesel and what I like is the air ride on the diesel and my favorite thing is when you push the brake on a diesel you stop and not just slow down
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Not being judgmental one way or the other. But seriously, is there a Class A gasser with a 10K tow rating? Maybe so, but I've never seen one. This is important to us. Our plan includes towing one of our daily drivers, which will always be a full size pickup, and a few various toys loaded in the back of it (golf cart, scooters, bicycles, kayaks, maybe a snowmobile at times). The other possibility is a trailer or stacker. 10K towing capability is a minimum for me. 15K is even better. It's a matter of necessity, not cost per gallon.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Not being judgmental one way or the other. But seriously, is there a Class A gasser with a 10K tow rating? Maybe so, but I've never seen one. This is important to us. Our plan includes towing one of our daily drivers, which will always be a full size pickup, and a few various toys loaded in the back of it (golf cart, scooters, bicycles, kayaks, maybe a snowmobile at times). The other possibility is a trailer or stacker. 10K towing capability is a minimum for me. 15K is even better. It's a matter of necessity, not cost per gallon.
Good point but everybody doesn't need to pull 10-15K worth of toys. We MAY end up with a DP just because of the gassers low towing capacity. We must have our golf cart and a small car to get around in the some places. But again it comes down to budget. A lot of us are workin' Joes and don't come from Dual 6 figure income homes. Hence the lower price point gas MH's. For some just like gas vs Diesel trucks it could mean the difference between getting a MH and just staying home.

One could argue that if one is on a budget they could buy an older DP. For a lot of folks me included it's hard to pay the same money for a 5-10 yr old DP when you could buy a new gasser with one of those awesome new floor plans.
Also you could be taking on someone elses problems with an older diesel.

Im just trying to expose some of y'all to the fact that everyone can't afford a DP. They make the gassers for a reason and people buy them and enjoy them. And for the majority the gasser will most likely be good enough given the price point.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #40

"One could argue that if one is on a budget they could buy an older DP. For a lot of folks me included it's hard to pay the same money for a 5-10 yr old DP when you could buy a new gasser with one of those awesome new floor plans.
Also you could be taking on someone elses problems with an older diesel."

That's an interesting point of view...not uncommon.

First, if you are handy with tools, I don't see the problem with modifying a used DP so that the floor plan works. It's easy enough on a 39 foot to throw out one of two facing couches and put in a tv with gas fireplace if you want...as an example. Replacing flooring is also easy. One can replace bunk beds with a closet. I'm not sure exactly what you can't do to upgrade at a reasonable cost that puts you in a dp long term if that is what you want and with a customized floor plan rather than a generic off the shelf ride.

If you don't like sitting on a toilet someone else used, just replace it.

Buying a 39 gas is iffy as it is easy to find mixed reviews at the length/weight class. Some are happy, some not.

Second, I don't get the fear of buying used. One does need to arm themselves with extra knowledge and some paid professional help, but there are buyers out there all the time that do that quite successfully. So, assuming the previous owners did the maintenance, that you can verify, if there is a problem they know about, you are gonna find it out as well and probably more by the time you and the pros have gone through it. And this includes compression and oils tests and a long close the deal ride and an extended warranty you can add on.

And you can do carfax, etc. All kinds of stuff you can do if you took the time to expand your knowledge base to inform yourself.

But, if one is not handy fixing or modifying things or really doesn't know much about engines and suspensions, etc. I can understand why one would have to buy new to sleep at night.

It certainly is easier to get a loan if new, but if you have saved some cash, you have options. There are plenty of dps in good condition out there for 100K and under.

Good enough is not a general condition...this is all about fitness for an intended use. If you want the 40 footer, you simply are not gonna buy a gas. If you want 31 feet, you are probably gonna buy gas. Not a big argument here.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
You could use off road diesel depending on availability, but if an accident should occur, and your tank is dipped, your price of diesel just went up.
Seriously???
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in farm country and I can tell you that just about anybody with a farm tank is running it in their daily drivers and motorhomes. Never heard of anybody getting their tank stuck by the local fuel police.

Tags
diesel, gas