Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #57

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
How soon does RID-X begin work? The enzymes in RID-X® begin working as soon as they come in contact with water.

The bacteria take 2-4 hours to germinate and then begin to break down solid waste.

If the temperature and conditions are favorable, then the bacteria will multiply to the maximum level that the environment will allow in about 2-4 days.

I dump every 11 days and everything goes through the very small Sewer-Solution hose, without any help of the water jet it has.

And the solids I deposit in it less then 6 hours before dumping. Are broken down also.

IMO I feel that it is not a waste of money, where I am dumping into a home septic system all winter.

But when traveling I do go back to the big hose and just plain water.

Where is your link with the proof that says. It takes enzyme or bacteria longer then 7-10 days to start working?
Please go back and re-read my post. I did not say it takes 7-10 days to start working, I should have made it a little clearer. It takes that long to reduce everything to a liquid state.
If you choose to use rid-x or some other product thats fine. Just remember that if the water you use is clorinated it will kill the bacteria that is put in. I choose not to use anything because I have never found it necessary to do so. My holding tanks are just that, holding tanks, not septic systems. I have never had a problem with clogged tanks by using plenty of water and doing a good flush.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #58

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Intresting thread. All the non-chemical users have one thing in common it seems, and that is the use of plenty of water is necessary in the black water tank. This may not work if you boondock for extended periods of time and water conservation is necessary. I do a lot of dry camping, and find a waste tank chemical is necessary to hold down odors, due to not having an endless supply of water. The tank level indicators work as well as they did when our rig was new. (Which is not to say they ever were very accurate.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #59
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Intresting thread. All the non-chemical users have one thing in common it seems, and that is the use of plenty of water is necessary in the black water tank. This may not work if you boondock for extended periods of time and water conservation is necessary. I do a lot of dry camping, and find a waste tank chemical is necessary to hold down odors, due to not having an endless supply of water. The tank level indicators work as well as they did when our rig was new. (Which is not to say they ever were very accurate.

Dieselclacker
I wouldn't say I use excess water, but chemicals or not, sufficient water is essential to prevent clogs, breakdown of solids and odors.

I usually dump about every two weeks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #60

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always find these discussions very interesting. If the question is asked, How do you do it? there will allways be several replies. Thats what forums are for the exchange of ideas and discussion. If I do it this way and it works, and someone else does it another and it works. the end result is the same. It works!
I say I use plenty of water, would anyone like to guess just how much that is or would that be a totaly new thread? Hint; We boondock most of the time.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Just remember that if the water you use is clorinated it will kill the bacteria that is put in.
Since I am in a rural area using a home septic system.
And all the water used with the Rid-X is well water.

Then maybe that is why it works so good for me. And may not be a waste of my money after all.
But I wouldn't say everything in the black tank changes to liquid.

With my using a clear connection. It is not hard to see, nuts & carrots and a few other things that don't change to a liquid.

Was that more then you wanted to know?

I'm sure that the many others users of Sewer-Solution with the small hose.
Some may only use water, some chlorinated water, some chemicals and it works for them.

Along with the Rid-X I use plenty of water.
With using the clear connection I also see.
Scotts "Extra Soft" breaks down just as good as their "1000" does.
Quote:
I say I use plenty of water, would anyone like to guess just how much that is or would that be a totaly new thread? Hint; We boondock most of the time.
If you never get the "Pyramid Pile" then you are using enough.
Using more, boondocking is a waste of water.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #62

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip View Post
We don't use a thing. The only thing we did change was the vent cap on the roof. We popped in a new Cyclone swiveling vent cap. It draws the odors out...

The cyclone is very high on my list of priorities. It's also very high on the trailer and I'm not into heights. First of all, I want to see what's up there, then I might consider making the climb to add the cyclone. Thanks for the info. You guys have really got it goin on!

Tom
Coach-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #63

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintnut View Post
I would like to save the cost of tank chemicals but I'm not willing to risk a serious blockage in doing so.
Interesting.. I have never heard of a blockage caused by not using black tank chemicals... And in fact can not even imagine how not using chemicals would cause a blockage.

on the other hand, There are some older products which contain preserative,, This preserative tends to kill off bacteria.. This bacteria helps to break down the "Stuff" in the tank making it more liquid and preventing blocakage. I might add this type of chemical is prohibited in some places (Formaldehyde if anyone wonders)

I do admit to having some.. It is a bottle the dealer gave me when I got the rig.. still sealed, never opened. I may drop it in a haz-mat box some day.

But not using chemical will never cause a clog

Some of the things I have read about that DO cause clogs

Putting stuff (not chemicals but other stuff) in the tank that does not belong there.. For example.. One poster who cleared a clog found that when the technicians cut the hole in the floor of his rig for the pipe from the Toilet.. they dropped the wood down into the tank and left it there. Female Sanitary Napkins can also cause a clog, Too much of the wrong kind of TP may well cause a clog (Most of the so-called "RV" papers fall in this group. SCOTT Does not)

I have heard that leaving the black valve open can cause a build up of semi-soild, which then dries out and becomes solid, waste.. And that too can clog.

(I dump when full enough to need it so never had that problem)

A child's toy, dropped down the toilet may well clog it up

But not using chemicals.. There is no way that can cause a clog.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #64

Please post the GEO method again

2003 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab.
Jersey Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #65
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Camper View Post
Please post the GEO method again
Post #56 on page 4 0f this thread has the link for the Geo Method.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #66

Great reading. thanks everyone.
Mr Nifty is offline   Reply With Quote