Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
To answer the OP, I used NOTHING in my tanks for 9 years in my last coach and never saw any problems. It is poop, after all, it's not supposed to be clean! No odors, either. I guess I had a good vent system. I did add rotating vanes to the top of my vents and I think that helped a lot to prevent odors.

If ever there is a spilled few drops, just flush with plenty of water. I also keep a spray bottle of 2/3 water 1/3 bleach to use on all my water connections, and I can spray with that to sterilize anything I want to make clean. And I always wear strong rubber, (not thin latex) gloves when handling sewer hoses, and I wash them with sopa and water after use. .
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #16

Everyone has a favorite method I guess.
Mine is to NOT use chemicals. Like someone said, "it's a 'holding tank' not a 'septic tank'. I empty the tank every few days. If not at least 1/2 to 3/4 I ADD water before emptying. On our way home after 3-4 months of being on-the-road, I add maybe a 1/3 of a small bottle of liquid dish soap from the $ store with a few gallons of water. By the time I get home all the sloshing around does a decent job of washing everything out.
floridasnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #17

I'm new to campers but it was my understanding that the chemicals helped break down the paper and waste as well as eliminate odors. I bought a bag of stuff that was in little thin rubber bags. Bad idea, they all melted together when i had my camper parked with the ac off and now I have to break one open getting blue stuff all over my hand and dump it in. Definitely getting something else next time!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding odor - the waste tanks are a sealed system except for the roof vents and if you have odor you have a problem that needs to be addressed. (Unless you have an exhaust fan going when you flush which will bring odor in.)

Regarding chemicals, we have full timed for 11 years - 10 years in this coach - have used only water and have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you have basically is an outhouse on wheels. I've never been in an outhouse that was odor free. After trying many of the sold in RV store popular treatments I switched to Happy Camper and have been very pleased with the results. Maybe one day I will get to age where mine doesn't stink and no treatment is necessary, but until then I believe I'll stick with Happy Camper.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Regarding chemicals, we have full timed for 11 years - 10 years in this coach - have used only water and have had no problems whatsoever.
XX2!...We don't use chemicals just water. Two adults and we drain every third day. Absolutely no smell. But, if you have smell your toilet gasgets are leaking or your tank needs a good cleaning. Some toilets do not drain directly down into the tank. Those that don't may get a drain pipe smell and may need chemicals to break down solids that build up in the drain pipe.

Tags
tank