Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Joe,

Is this the stuff?

Thanks,
That's the stuff and x2 what he said ^^^
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Over the years I have had four motorhomes and one fifth wheel. I bought the fifth wheel new and the black and grey water gauges worked. On the four used motorhome the gauges did not work. I tried various additives, ice, geo method, and other suggestions and have no success in getiing those gauges to work. With this RV I know when the fresh water gauge gets low it is time to dump.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Another vote for Happy Camper

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Joe,

Is this the stuff?

Thanks,

Yep, that's it all right! You might want to buy the 130 Oz size for the best price per application!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #19

+1 on Happy Camper

Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks

https://www.5starhappycamper.com

http://happycampersworld.com/product...happy-campers/
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
What a waste of money.

It has been proven over and over again that using plain water is more than sufficient to keep the odor away and keeping the tanks clean and clog free. I just don't understand why so many feel that they have to use a chemical (organic or otherwise). Adding a couple of gallons of water to an empty tank prior to using, plus adding more to the toilet when flushing solids, and then filling, or at least 2/3rd fill the tank prior to dumping....will keep everything in working order.

Try it before dumping your $$ down the toilet.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
lanerd, What you say is true for clean tanks. However, last year the moho I bought had the black pyramid and the gauges did not work. After countless attempts to flush things clean, I resorted to chemicals and now have clean tanks I can keep clean. Water won't undo years of neglect on the tanks.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 AM   #22

I don't know. It would seem to me that using a tank treatment chemical say every 3rd dump or so at least would be good preventive maintenance.
Our mh is ten years old and we just purchased it. I know the tank gauges work but have no idea of how clean or dirty they may or may not be. I plan on double dosing the Happy Camper the first time out in spring so I know I have clean tanks. After that I may use it only ever other time.

In terms of overall rv'ing expenditures this stuff is cheap. Being we have a short camping season here and we are not winter birds yet a jar of that stuff would last me two seasons. Hardly a bank breaker.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is has been interesting to follow. I have used nothing and used the blue stuff and about everything in between including the Geo method and now Happy Campers. Until recently I never really had an odor problem but wanted to be sure the gauges remained operable. So irregular use of something became irregular use of Happy Campers.

For some reason in the near 2.5 months since going full time my Tecma macerator toilet had an odor. There were no leaks or seal issues that I could see. I had been using only water. There was no odor coming from the gravity toilet in the half bath.

The other new development was having a clear connector added at the gates so I was observing the dump and flush process more than ever before.
I had Happy Campers with us as it had become the go to product but was using infrequently. I began using it and adding it through the Tecma toilet not the 1/2 bath and viola - odor gone.

I'm not sure if there was some out gassing going on from the rubber hoses or what - but I know it worked. I also know that what's coming out is clearly more liquidified and clears faster on the rinse - I dump and then close tank and add 3.5 minutes fresh water and dump again. Previously 2 times and now 1 time.

Waste of money - don't need it - maybe ya don't - but I do. And I know with the Tecma the likelihood of a tower having been the problem is pretty remote. It is extremely "generous" with water.

So I'd say - get some Happy Campers just in case. One day your may need something - and in my book there is nothing better when that occurs.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Steve, I understand what you're saying, however with all due respect, if you have an odor, you have a problem.

The toilet, pipes, macerators, tanks, gates, are all a sealed system with the exception of the vent pipe that allows air to dissipate from the tank as water/waste goes into it or to allow air into the tanks when the tanks are being drained.

If you had an odor from your macerator toilet, then you had a seal/gasket, or something that was allowing air to escape. I really don't think that adding Happy Camper made the odor go away as I'm sure you were also adding water. Who to say which (if either) was the remedy? In any case, I believe somehow the air leak sealed itself...maybe the toilet itself was not sealed correctly and by using it (sitting on it), the air leak was sealed. Who knows....? But adding Happy Camper could not be the solution as it (along with the water) just goes down into the black tank and doesn't stay in the toilet, macerator, or pipes.

I'm really glad that the odor went away and if you want to believe the happy camper was the solution, then more power to you.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lanerd. I personally believe 1) the rubber hose was out gassing from either being slightly choked up or for some other reason (possibly age) - 2) and that taking the Tecma out of service except to add HC when we dumped with the occasional water only flush and 3) using the half bath during that time made a difference on the hose.
It wasn't really being used for much except adding the HC and wasn't loose or sat on and less water was going through it and the tank as a whole - as the gravity 1/2 bath uses less water period.

I do know that the hoses can and do wear out and out gassing is a potential issue. So maybe that was the problem and I am going to need a new hose. As second owner I don't even know that the hose in place isn't radiator hose or something other than sewer hose which is more expensive and less prone to out gas.

The actual hose from Thetford has a high price relative to other options.

http://anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail....3&CID=270&BID=

But OK - your right - HC didn't help and that's fine with me. I will keep using it and I'm sure that's fine with you. Thanks for your input.

Tags
tank