Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #1

Holding Tank Treatment?

Hello All!
We are new to RV ing, and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with UNIQUE Natural Products, their RV DIGEST IT Holding Tank Treatment? They claim in digests all brands of toilet paper, cleans sensors, made in the USA, is inexpensive, unclogs tanks overnight, contains no Formaldehyde, destroys odors causing pollutants, and liquefies solids in the holding tank.
We are environmentally aware, or at least try to be, and if this product is good, then we would use it.
Does anyone have any direct experience with this? If not, what is the most environmentally friendly way to take care of our holding tanks?
Thanks all for all your help!
G Man
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Water, and lots of it. You don't need any fancy chemicals, just water
Old 01-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi G Man,
Thetford has this Search - thetford holding tank chemical - Camping World
Look for the ECO Smart brand. Comes in packets and different size liquid bottles. The liquid works as advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:31 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
When we bought our previous fifth wheel, none of the tank sensors were working. A friend suggested 5 Star Happy Camper and gave us a sample. I tried it and couldn't believe how much "Stuff" had been in the holding tanks. The day before, I had flushed the tanks, to the best of my ability and the water was coming out of both the black and gray tanks clear. After the treatment, lots of gunk came out of both tanks. It also had my tank sensors working.

Within two treatments, I also had no more offensive odors coming from the toilet.

Since this, as well as the RV Digest it are chemical-free, They eliminate odors. They don't mask them.

As dons2346 stated above, lots of water is needed. Even if you decided to use a holding tank treatment.

I priced both of the above products and found that the RV Digest it was $42.95 a gallon. That will give you 32-4oz treatments. The 5 Star Happy Camper is $39.00 for 64oz of powder. That gives you twice the amount of treatments, for less money. The Happy Camper is also a powder, that comes with a 1oz scoop. To me, it is much easier to store and use..

Hope this helps you out...
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We highly recommend Happy Camper tank treatment (no connection). We've been using it for 12 years and wouldn't use anything else!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Water, and lots of it. You don't need any fancy chemicals, just water
Agree. Chemicals are great money makers for the manufacturers and are not needed.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pretty close to the same answers you got on rv.net. As I mentioned over there, tank chemicals are really not needed as water will do just fine. I believe Old Biscuit mentioned to do a short flush with pee and fill the toilet (at least half way) with water before flushing poop. Once you get ready to dump the black tank, using the tank rinse feature, add more water to the tank (at least 2/3rds full) prior to dumping.

Black tank additives are just $$ in the mfg'ers pocket. Try just using water first and see how it works out for you.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

That product is hardly "unique" either. There are numerous enzyme based aids for tissue and waste reduction available, some specifically for RVs and others for septic systems and sewer lines. If you feel you must have something (I don't), use one of the inexpensive generic enzyme products. Or some plain old yeast.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had 3 TT's and now on the third MH and have never had any issue with any of them until last month. We have a dump at the house where we park so we always leave the last CG with a mixture of a 1/2 cup liquid detergent, some calgon water softener and a few gallons of water. That sloshes around to rid the tanks of stuck stuff. We may take 2-3 days to get home so it is in there for a time.

That has worked for us until last month. After a few days at the CG I noticed that the pot was somewhat backing up. For two days I tried adding a lot of water then flushing but nothing worked. Then I checked the TP that the DW thought was good to go in the tanks and it wasn't. You all know the TP test. Put a few sheets of TP in a glass of water, shake vigorously for 15 seconds. If it is dissolved it's OK to use in the pot. This stuff didn't dissolve after shaking for 5 minutes. After 2-3 days of using the pot it had accumulated at the bottom of the pot drop and it took a long hard ride home to get it to break down.

I really don't know if the enzyme stuff will break up bad TP. I'm inclined to keep using what we've done. It makes sense and is not expensive. Detergent makes water wetter and the softener makes everything very slippery.

TeJay
Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #10

We've only used the "blue stuff" that was provided by the PO in the black tank ... and only when closed up traveling .... but have noticed some oder coming up through the washer drain pipe at times .... could use some recommendations for that ....
we're hooked up most of the time and do a flush of the system(s) once a month or so.
Both sensors (black & gray) seem to be working .... however the fresh is not .... suggestions here are also welcome ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Hal, you might want to put some soap down your sink drains along with some water and drive around (might as well do the black tank while you're at it). This will "wash" out the inside of your gray tank. Also, put some water in the washer and put it on spin cycle for a minute or two. This will fill the washer drain/p-trap with water.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #12

After asking on here a few months ago I tried Happy Camper. Was the best choice I have made! (Thanks to all who suggested it). Haven't tried it out in the summer yet but over all great product. I wouldn't switch back to anything else.
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We highly recommend Happy Camper tank treatment (no connection). We've been using it for 12 years and wouldn't use anything else!
Joe,

Is this the stuff?

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #14

We started using Happy Camper over the summer after a smell wouldn't leave. I used the black tank cleaner first and was amazed at what came out of my "clean" black tank. Since we started using Happy Camper at MSHappycamper's suggestion in both tanks no orders at all. I will never switch.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank