Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler leveling jacks

I am in research mode to buy my first RV. I have talked with a few people selling older 1987-1990 HR Imperials. 2 of them don't have or know how to operate the leveling jacks.
One guy said he doesn't know if it has it, can't find the switch. He thinks the previous owner stripped whole system out of the RV but didn't have a clue.
The 2nd guy said he witnessed the operation when he bought it 7 years ago but never used them. He doesn't think he has a switch to operate them.
Can anybody explain what potentially could be the problem?
thanks for all the help...been using this forum a ton lately!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Im not sure what your question is ?
If there is no system there and was stripped out I am fairly confident nothing is going to work.
The second guy says that he dosen't think he has a switch. It would not be a simple switch on or off. It would be a controll panel about 5 in square. Most likely with a joy stick in the middle to controll each jack. Or perhaps an up or down arrow for each jack. The system was perhaps an HWH leveling system and you might check their web site and see examples of what you are looking for.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #3

I guess my assumption was that all leveling jacks had a panel inside that was pretty obvious of what it was. I thought it was standard on the HR Imperial. Since 2 people don't know how to operate is there a chance that it isn't controlled with a panel inside the cab? I haven't owned an rv so I don't know how many systems are out there.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

I've got a 1990 Holiday Rambler Alumalite. It didn't have levelers on it when I got it but I got a set cheap when RVA went out of business. The control panel opening is on the far left of the dash between the headlight switch and air vent. They had to use RVA at that time because the panel fit the opening down to the mounting screw locations.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveputt View Post

"He thinks the previous owner stripped whole system out of the RV but didn't have a clue."

"The 2nd guy said he witnessed the operation when he bought it 7 years ago but never used them. He doesn't think he has a switch to operate them
Sounds like a 'tap dance' around the fact that BOTH, more than likely, are not worth looking at. Their statements make me wonder what standards they THINK they've used in maintaining both units. I can't imagine not knowing after 7 years, whether or not I have a leveling system or how to turn it on...come on! I'd bet $10 to a doughnut that both units have been neglected for years and there's a bunch of other stuff that doesn't work as well.

Run Forest, RUN!

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Sounds like a 'tap dance' around the fact that BOTH, more than likely, are not worth looking at. Their statements make me wonder what standards they THINK they've used in maintaining both units. I can't imagine not knowing after 7 years, whether or not I have a leveling system or how to turn it on...come on! I'd bet $10 to a doughnut that both units have been neglected for years and there's a bunch of other stuff that doesn't work as well.

Run Forest, RUN!
100% agree, do you think an inspection will uncover any of these neglected issues? Or is an inspection too generic?

The last guy mentioned above is in commercial construction. Drove it $4k miles since he has owned it. Purchased, drove it and parked to live in for 4 months. Pretty much been sitting with the occasional drive to keep it running.
Recently done a tuneup, oil, all new brakes includes master cylinder, generator oil and carb clean. He replaced tires a while ago and no signs of cracks BUT I am assume they are near the age limit. Would expect to replace very soon.

Just realized I changed the tune of this thread?! Can I self hijack?!

Tags
holiday rambler, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks